Black History Month

Cool Girl

So, this month is Black History Month. And in honor of that, I wanted to share a poem by Langston Hughes. Also, feel free to discuss about Black History Month or share a poem. Here goes....

I, Too

By Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.

Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.

Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed–

I, too, am America.

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read this! It really means a lot to me and to a lot of people that we remember history and the people that have sadly passed away to make changes happen. But, really guys, thanks for reading. I really appreciate it.

Not originally from the USA, I don't understand the feeling of and association of segregation with black people. Though certainly, the Dutch had a lot to do with slavery, these customs did not come into the country. And I've always lived understanding that all kinds of people live on equal standard.

In my city, I have lot of interaction with people from all over the world. The more international the environment, the greater the acceptance. I love that. I see a bright future, where the continued immigration into the country will slowly lead to increased acceptance and opportunity. I foresee that the sad history of the USA will be just that; a sad history.

Edited by Busti