Every Pokemon Is Male?

Sweet Power Baby

Obvi, Pokemon are usually 50/50 male or female. Some have no gender. But, half or more of everybody online I see says "he" when they're talking about a species of Pokemon.

Example, a thread is titled "Is Absol competitive in meta game now?" 

Half or more of the replies: "No, he's-, Yes he's-, Well, he could be-", etc. Sometimes, I don't find a single reply that -doesn't- say "he". I can't remember a time I ever saw "she".

Genders aren't important to me. People can call things whatever gender. But, when there's 25+ pages of comments with nothing but "he" instead of "it, he/she, they", etc., I just gotta wonder what it means. I'm so curious. I don't judge people. It's not fair to say "All these people think males are better." Of course, I wonder if some of them think that way. But, I don't assume it unless I know. 

So, I guess I just wanna know if anybody else wonders why too. Of course I'd feel sad if many really thought females are more boring, but there's no way to really know whether that's true or not, right? 

What do they call Lilligant?... Do they strain harder and harder as they try to type a female pronoun, ground shaking like an earthquake more and more, before finally the poster just...explodes?

e w e

Edited by Sweet Power Baby
Typos

This is quite the observation. If I think about it I'll usually use the Pokemon's name in most conversations since it's important to clarify subject I guess but after that... I want to say I use it more often than anything but maybe I let a he or she slip for extremely masculine/feminine Pokemon sometimes.

Technically, the pronoun "he" doesn't always have to be male. If you do not the gender of who or what you are talking about it IS grammatically ok to just say "he, him, etc." as a kind of shortened of version of saying "He or her, his or hers, etc." Since Pokemon DO have genders (the ones we are referring to anyway) then it is more correct to say "he" than "it." for a Pokemon that does not have a gender, then you would say "it" or whatever the hell people say these days.

I think most people find using 'it' to be a little too cold to use. And I think there was some study about using he/she for different things that could be either or genderless has to do with them associating it with what they're familiar with. So guys will often use he and girls will often use she in those situations.

I usually use it or they when referring to species, but I can't say I often see people refer to Pokemon as always male. Sure, sometimes people do, although even then I'd say it or they are more common.

It also seems like it depends on the species, there are some feminine Pokemon that people often call she regardless of gender ratio. (Like for example Gardevoir or Clefable.)

9 hours ago, Atlas105 said:

Technically, the pronoun "he" doesn't always have to be male. If you do not the gender of who or what you are talking about it IS grammatically ok to just say "he, him, etc." as a kind of shortened of version of saying "He or her, his or hers, etc." Since Pokemon DO have genders (the ones we are referring to anyway) then it is more correct to say "he" than "it." for a Pokemon that does not have a gender, then you would say "it" or whatever the hell people say these days.

Mhm, it's really correct. It just makes me wonder why I'm almost always only seeing he, him, and his. My guess would be they're using their own gender, and that's good, but then that also implies something very sad...

9 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I think most people find using 'it' to be a little too cold to use. And I think there was some study about using he/she for different things that could be either or genderless has to do with them associating it with what they're familiar with. So guys will often use he and girls will often use she in those situations.

Yea, I usually only say "it" when I'm talking to people who know I'm just saying that like you would say for a baby who's gender you don't know. X3 I was thinking the same thing about guys and girls, but like I said above, that would mean I'm a very lonely Pokemon player for being a girl... Being here helps, though. I've seen quite characters on Reborn who are real life females. I have a friend who's female and likes Pokemon, and made another female friend when I came here, and we've talking ever since.

Edited by Sweet Power Baby
Random phone insert word

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.01.2017. at 0:52 AM, Sweet Power Baby said:

Obvi, Pokemon are usually 50/50 male or female. Some have no gender. But, half or more of everybody online I see says "he" when they're talking about a species of Pokemon.

Example, a thread is titled "Is Absol competitive in meta game now?" 

Half or more of the replies: "No, he's-, Yes he's-, Well, he could be-", etc. Sometimes, I don't find a single reply that -doesn't- say "he". I can't remember a time I ever saw "she".

Genders aren't important to me. People can call things whatever gender. But, when there's 25+ pages of comments with nothing but "he" instead of "it, he/she, they", etc., I just gotta wonder what it means. I'm so curious. I don't judge people. It's not fair to say "All these people think males are better." Of course, I wonder if some of them think that way. But, I don't assume it unless I know. 

So, I guess I just wanna know if anybody else wonders why too. Of course I'd feel sad if many really thought females are more boring, but there's no way to really know whether that's true or not, right? 

What do they call Lilligant?... Do they strain harder and harder as they try to type a female pronoun, ground shaking like an earthquake more and more, before finally the poster just...explodes?

e w e

I think they should call it " they" when it comes to pokemon

On 21.01.2017. at 3:33 AM, Atlas105 said:

I could not agree more

On 21.01.2017. at 4:42 PM, kalzone678 said:

I don't really see a problem at all with this, it's really when people start calling Pokemon like Nidoqueen a "he" that we should be worried ;)

yeah\

Edited by Jolteondude