[IDEA] Revisiting Old Reborn

Farnsworth

I've been seeing that a lot of people here missed some important sidequests that become unavailable after going to Agate Circus. A lot of these quests (particularly the sticker ones) can lock the players from a lot of content. Right now the only solution to this is going back to episode 15 and with that gain access to the old city. But this solution isn't optimal and future episodes might be incompatible with E15. So I've been coming up with ideas to solve this issue.

I came up with the idea of a sidequest involving either Celebi or Dialga and that when the player completes this quest, most likely catching the legendary pokemon at the end, they would be able to travel through time. With that they would be able to travel to the pre-Agate Reborn City. However, they won't be able to alter any story segments, they would only gain access to the old City to complete quests that they might have skipped during their playthrough. This would only be available in the post-game though. I think this would provide an adequate solution to the soft locking of certain sidequests and items, plus players would still be penalized for missing these the first time through since it only becomes accessible in the post-game.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Or even different ideas to tackle the soft locking of the old City?

8 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

I've been seeing that a lot of people here missed some important sidequests that become unavailable after going to Agate Circus. A lot of these quests (particularly the sticker ones) can lock the players from a lot of content. Right now the only solution to this is going back to episode 15 and with that gain access to the old city. But this solution isn't optimal and future episodes might be incompatible with E15. So I've been coming up with ideas to solve this issue.

I came up with the idea of a sidequest involving either Celebi or Dialga and that when the player completes this quest, most likely catching the legendary pokemon at the end, they would be able to travel through time. With that they would be able to travel to the pre-Agate Reborn City. However, they won't be able to alter any story segments, they would only gain access to the old City to complete quests that they might have skipped during their playthrough. This would only be available in the post-game though. I think this would provide an adequate solution to the soft locking of certain sidequests and items, plus players would still be penalized for missing these the first time through since it only becomes accessible in the post-game.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Or even different ideas to tackle the soft locking of the old City?

There is a glitch that lets you go back if you use teleport inside the city.

But that does seem to be a good ideia :D 

Edited by luis

I think it's a nice and interesting idea, however I think it would sooner be some techie who figured out how to travel through time ever so slightly for you, instead of Celebi or Dialga

I'd assume that most of the side quests or events might get ported into the newer episodes. Reborn is pretty dark and gritty, and suddenly adding time travel might make the impact of say, Corey's death feel a little less powerful. I'd say keep time travel in a lighter game like Rejuvenation.

Well actually, at least for one of the stickers, you can still get it in rebuilt reborn. If the sticker you missed is the drifloon one if you head to one of the houses in lapis ward the mother and child will be there and you will get the sticker anyway. Sadly, if you do miss that event you ARE locked out of drifloon forever, or at least until it is available later.

Edited by Swampellow

42 minutes ago, Combat Medic said:

I'd assume that most of the side quests or events might get ported into the newer episodes. Reborn is pretty dark and gritty, and suddenly adding time travel might make the impact of say, Corey's death feel a little less powerful. I'd say keep time travel in a lighter game like Rejuvenation.

As I said in my post, this would be a post-game thing. So it would have no impact on the story, it would be strictly to revisit the old city for sidequests and other stuff like that. The MC wouldn't be able/allowed to alter the events that took place in the past.