My thoughts on the game for EP 16.

PeXXeR

First off, I love the game, thank you guys for all the work you put in..BUT there's some serious BS  in the new release let me start.

I have beaten the game like 1231321 times so yeah, with that out of the way lets get it crackin. Play the game from the beginning and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1. YOU CANT SET UP ON ANYONE, THEY WILL CRIT YOUR ASS TO OBLIVION. What the hell is this ? Yo I get it if they get the ocassinal crit but this is just pure BS not everyone uses Blaziken as a starter, if you cant balance him out properly remove him ffs, It just puts the game down as a whole. 

An example, I go in with alakazam, I use 1 calm mind, the foe crits me, I die, I reset cause of the RTG nature and the bosses being hard as fuck, go back in, use calm mind again, 1st hit fine, I recover, 2nd hit CRIT, I survive with 2 hp, I use a potion, go back in, A 3RD CRIT ? da fuck ? and this shit happens all the fucking time.

2. Let me get this straight, 50 lv+ I go against a Garchomp THAT I HIT WITH OUTRAGE and it was not supper effective, hit him with surf STILL NOTHING, hes draco meteor ignores his debufs and destroyes everything, apart from that, back to the crit thing, all of the highter level foes CRIT the fuck out of you, and when garchomp crits you you're pretty much done. Give me a dragon ffs, or some decent pokes, to get a mudkip, a MUDKIP ! I have to wait till level 1321213 ? really ? pure chease.

3. I love the field effects, I love how the game plays but this RTG bullshit is over the top and brings the game down, some of the changes are straight out bad, like replacing mudkip with squirtle, I dont know what you guys have in store for the rest of the episodes, but as is now, it brings the game down.

Dont get me wrong, its awesome to play, the new AI, is cool as hell, I suggest these things to be rebalanced.

4.th to evolve my magneton I have to be level 120000 ? really ? again ? why ? this makes no sense what was wrong with the old way of getting the key? why push it even  more till the end ? 

5TH. The chess puzzle, I love it as a concept, but fuck me did you went over the top, thank god for walkthrougs, cause I played chess once in my life.

I am not gonna learn how to be a chess master cause of one puzzle. This is more of  a nitcpick though but throwing it out there. This is the only puzzle I have an issue with.

Its changes like this, that really bring the game down as a whole, I dont care about HARDCORE POKEMON PLAYERS, I just want to chill, sit back and enjoy, I would not be posting this, if it was not a problem, I've beat so many chease hacks, and all the games, but that still does not change the fact, the game is full of chease as is.

You can push trough and beat it, but all fun is lost. I maybe shit at the game, true, I suggest when all the work is done, if have the motivation, to do it, introduce a diff setting. 

I tried not to be to negative, but I would like to give you guys some feedback, thanks again, all your work is awesome, I hope you revert some of this BS. 

CONCLUSION.

The game is still awesome, the ideas, the puzzles( not the chess one), the freedom you have. You guys rock for doing this, and desirve all the praise you get, I am coding a fighting game for some time now, and I know how in a closed enveiorment you can put stuff in that when you look at them a week later, you think to yourself what the hell was I thinking. Keep on rocking Ame, the testers and all people involved, and a big thank you again.

Edited by PeXXeR

honestly, i think the criticial thing is luck based (correct me i'm wrong devs, is crit rate higher in reborn??)

because i have rarely been in the situation you described (regular crits from the opponent)

if i had to rant about luck based stuff, i've faced my share. As a breeder, one time i literally hatched 50+ eggs to get a female snivy (normal ratio is 7:1)

but that's luck so sometimes, we just have to grind through it.

plus for battles it's easy to soft reset 

as for the game moving stronger pokemons towards the end, that's the whole concept of reborn.

to make you use mons you'd generally never use. that's the challenge of this game.

why do you think most of the pseudo legendary dragons like garchomp and salamence and dragonite are unavailble

they make the game an easy sweep.

everyone know's how OP earthquake swampert is, and magezone in my opinion is freaking powerful, capable of literally taking on teams on its own cuz of its typing.

for that matter, we still have not received the mega ring, but opponents use mega evos against us.

we'll just have to suck it up and beat their asses with our slightly above average pokemons

same case with the field effects, some help your pokemons, some put you at disadvantage. it's up to you to see if you can take advantage of the field.

as for you magneton, i can help you evolve it. (trade it to me, i'll trade it back)

i opened the Yureyu Key room in E15 so i still have access to it.

I'm quite opposite, both my teams in reborn have pkmn that can setup without a problem. In fact most my battles I won because I could setup. In E16 I managed to go 6 calm minds against ZEL, 2 dragon dances against Arclight, 1 dragon dance against victoria and 3 calm minds against Adrienn in my run. My other run does nothing but setup: toxic spikes, cotton guards, substitutes, leech seed, stockpiles,... . Maybe you are just unlucky.

I also have a cool dragon on my team far before fighting terra, it's no pseudo legendary but still Tyrantrum is not a bad pkmn and has been a fantastic asset. I also think that kingdra is available before fighting Terra.

Thank you guys for the replays, maybe its really my bad luck, but happens A LOT and I mean a LOT, as for Magneton, In the earlier releases of the game you could have gotten him waay earlier, I agreed on the 1st push back, but the 2nd ? not so much. Thanks for the trade offer, I am gonna do it the regular way though. I do agree on thats part of Pokemon reborn, but getting pretty much the same wild pokes from 1 to 50 60 is iffy, you can argue, that people going out of there way to get mudkip is part of the exploration. 

• Global Mods

I can't comment on difficulty because everyone will have a different experience depending on how their teams and strategies match up with the opponents, but I wanted to say I agree about the chess puzzle. If it weren't for Lostelle's Youtube walkthrough of it, I would've had to send someone my save file to do it for me. El offers explanations for how chess and the pieces work, but to someone who knows literally nothing about chess (and has no interest in it), it's a lot to memorize. Ame said she kind of regrets this puzzle because when she made it she assumed more people would have played chess. 

You should've seen it when Charlotte was first released as a gym leader

That field and her team combination was bad enough, but then we had to deal with a broken AI system where the AI would predict your switches 99% of the time...

Edited by Slicster

Well about the chess puzzle, I can get why the puzzle can become too much for beginning players.  A simplified puzzle could be worked out, with the rule make mate with one legitimite move but you can't slay.  

Something  among the line of these five puzzles:

https://lichess.org/editor/6k1/5ppp/8/8/8/3R4/6K1/8_w_-_-

https://lichess.org/editor/4k3/4B3/4K3/8/8/3B4/8/8_w_-_-

https://lichess.org/editor/k7/2K5/2N5/8/2N5/8/8/8_w_-_-

https://lichess.org/editor/k7/1b1p1q2/4p3/6n1/N6R/2RP1BPP/2K2B2/8_w_-_-

https://lichess.org/editor/2R5/pkpP1b2/1p1n4/8/6B1/1P2P1P1/2P5/R2K1Q2_w_-_-

Well, I do play chess, but I also found chess puzzle not the easiest one, so I can imagine people`s frustration, if they have never played chess before. Still, I think it fits Radomus so well, so maybe it could be only just a little bit easier. As was said above, overall difficulty depends solely on your team, I don`t think you could find a single leader or a battle that people could agree that it was particulary hard - i.e. some people find Ciel very hard, for the others it is 0-6 K.O.

On the other hand, even if I want to do monotype run someday, removing spiders` web is what will prevent me from replaying this game for some time. I honestly hate that part.

• Global Mods
2 minutes ago, example said:

On the other hand, even if I want to do monotype run someday, removing spiders` web is what will prevent me from replaying this game for some time. I honestly hate that part.

Clearing the spider webs is a Rejuvenation gym puzzle. 

1 minute ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Clearing the spider webs is a Rejuvenation gym puzzle. 

I mean Aventurine Forest, with Honey, Herracross/Pinsir, Tauroses and Bouffalants. This is just... argh. Get Tauros, use Honey, go around, get Tauros, fight, use honey again to open another path, and again, and again...

• Global Mods
6 minutes ago, example said:

I mean Aventurine Forest, with Honey, Herracross/Pinsir, Tauroses and Bouffalants. This is just... argh. Get Tauros, use Honey, go around, get Tauros, fight, use honey again to open another path, and again, and again...

Ohhh, ok. I tend to forget that exists since I didn't even do it my first time through, and only did it later for the glasses then moved the whole Aventurine Woods area to the back of my mind. Sometimes I forget there's a part of the woods between exiting Tanzan and reaching Route 1.

As someone who has played a decent amount of chess, but would in no way call themselves good at the game, I found the puzzle in Radomus' mansion to be quite a fun brain teaser, and I'd rather it not be removed as it is genuinely fun to solve. A better alternative to removal would be a way to bypass it after enough time has passed, or give an alternative way to proceed for the player. 

5 minutes ago, Tartar said:

As someone who has played a decent amount of chess, but would in no way call themselves good at the game, I found the puzzle in Radomus' mansion to be quite a fun brain teaser, and I'd rather it not be removed as it is genuinely fun to solve. A better alternative to removal would be a way to bypass it after enough time has passed, or give an alternative way to proceed for the player. 

Something like "if you get the wrong answer 10 times then the attack on the castle happens immediately and Radomus decides to fight you in the maze while escaping, skipping the chess test. Also, since you pretty much have your own gravitational field, you lose 15 relationship points with Radomus"?
(Seriously, the chess puzzle is not that hard if you already know the rules...)

5 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Ohhh, ok. I tend to forget that exists since I didn't even do it my first time through, and only did it later for the glasses then moved the whole Aventurine Woods area to the back of my mind. Sometimes I forget there's a part of the woods between exiting Tanzan and reaching Route 1.

I understand, I wish I had forget this part, too. This puzzle is not bad in itself, it`s the little things - constant useless fights, tall grass in the most inconvenient places to force you to go around once again, then, let`s say, you step on a Flabebe tile by accident, then you must repeat, then your repels end... It gets annoying very fast. It is possible to skip this and just go on, but the ammount of stuff and sidequest you are forced to leave behind, including sticker... meh. Never more puzzle like this. Shelly`s gym was my favourite I think.

No one's saying content should be removed, and alternate option, like lets say you fail 10 times, the gym leader makes fun of you, then the doors just pops open.

Edit

The crit thing I was talking about was a bug I think, I redownloaded the game started a fresh save, and everything is fine.

Playing the whole game again I do agree pushing mudkip back is a good idea. 70 is a bit much, but still I do agree. I am guessing in my salty mood that I was, I rushed to the forums.

The crit thing was so bad, all wild pokes would crit me on the 2nd hit, like 70% of the time, dunno what it was.

My stance on magneton remains the same though.

Still I love this game so much, my fave poke game by far.

Edited by PeXXeR