Monorun?

Maltor

Hey! I was thinking about doing a monorun, since i've finished E16 twice from scratch, and a nuzlocke proved to be too much for me =P

I've got a few questions about this:

- Do you limit the pokemon on your team to the ones that are avaliable up to that point, or can you trade? Coz it'll be kinda weird to go face Julia with 4 poochyenas

- I know you can use pokemon outside the monotype for HM's (kinda obvious); but can you use, for example, a slugma/magcargo to speed up breeding, even if you won't fight with them? Or a ditto to breed?

- How about pokemon that aren't the chosen type, but will be after they evolve (pancham into pangoro)? Do you use them even if you won't get the chosen type until much later?

Thanks!

There aren't really any official rules to a monotype run, so I'll just try to answer some of your questions.

FIrst off, generally speaking most people consider trading pokemon in cheating, I personally prefer it this way because what fun is it if you get all the good Pokemon right off the bat?

Using other Pokemon? As long as you don't battle with them, i don't think there is any problem at all with this.

And lastly, this is all personal preference, i myself am doing a flying type run, and I've been used charmeleon the whole time up until he evolved. Other people i know don't really have a problem with this either, because otherwise how are you even going to get said Pangoro or Charizard?

2 minutes ago, kalzone678 said:

And lastly, this is all personal preference, i myself am doing a flying type run, and I've been used charmeleon the whole time up until he evolved. Other people i know don't really have a problem with this either, because otherwise how are you even going to get said Pangoro or Charizard?

I was thinking of the level cap; thought that (if i were doing a flying mono) coz i'd get charizard at lvl 36, i wouldn't be able to use charmander until my lvl cap was at least 40, but it seems it isn't the case

Thx for your input!

23 minutes ago, Maltor said:

Do you limit the pokemon on your team to the ones that are avaliable up to that point, or can you trade? Coz it'll be kinda weird to go face Julia with 4 poochyenas

The pokemon you choose to work with are up to you. There is a Request-a-Mon thread somewhere here on the forums for monoruns, where you can specify any pokemon you want for the run, even unobtainable ones. However, I'd stick with the current obtainable list though if you want a challenge. 

Whether or not you choose to include trading is up to you. My personal preference is to be able to iv breed and ev train all of the pokemon that I am going to use, so I've spent a lot of time working my pokemon up from scratch. However, past the point of no return I can't really iv breed, and I'm fairly certain that I will need some pokemon that usually are not available at that point to deal with the gym leaders that I will face through that section. So I've done a little trading to get pokemon that I will be otherwise unable to obtain/breed to beat said gym leaders. 

Maybe not as legitimate, but I honestly have no idea how to get past Charlotte and Samson with no powerful steel types with super effective moves that can hit their pokemon.

Other than that, I am trying to limit myself to one of each of the obtainable types up to that point.

Good luck with your run!

Edited by Mint3kool