Early Water Types

Adeon

Hey guys! Finally decided to sign up on this forum :)

I'd like your opinion about water types you can get early (just beat Florinia's Gym), since I have no idea about a strategic pokemon play. Most of the time I pick Pokemon who look nice, like Budew, Dewgong and the like.

I played once in Episode 15, but could not beat the ice guy on the mountain (had no effective attacks, except Arcanine and couldn't return to the Grand Hall to train a Ground/Rock type to get rid of the field). So I decided to start a new game with Episode 16 with a stronger focus on capable (and, if possible cute) Pokemon. So I went to fish a Lightningrod Goldeen, since some people recommended it (according to the new Location guide Azurill can only be obtained by an egg). But on the way I fished a shiny Finneon and now I'm in a small dilemma.

In comparison, Finneon/Lumineon seems stronger in terms of stats and the moves it can learn, than Goldeen/Seaking. Seaking is more of a physical water type and has Lightningrod, but learns its first physical water move (Waterfall) at level 32. Lumineon on the other hand is more of a special attacker, which most of its attacks are. And it's Attract saved my ass more than once in my last game. Also it is shiny. :D

What would you guys recommend? Or do you even know about other viable water types this early in the game (I'd like to have one until Kiki and replace it with Mudkip or Lapras). Like I said, I have no idea about more advanced stuff like IV/EV training and such.

PS: Here are the stats of both Pokemon (also with red and blue stats, since I don't know what they mean):

Finneon (level 10):

- HP: 31

- Att: 15 (blue)

- Def: 17

- SpA: 17

- SpD: 19

- Spe: 19 (red)

- Swift Swim

Goldeen (level 8):

- HP: 26

- Att: 17 (red)

- Def: 16

- SpA: 9 (blue)

- SpD: 14

- Spe: 15

- Lightningrod

• Global Mods

Luminion will be a fair bit faster, and a tad bulkier, but neither of its attacking stats break 70 so it will hit hit like a damp noodle before long. basically finneon/luminion will probably be a bit better at the start, then seaking will be superior once it learns waterfall, but both should be replaced before you get too late into the game IMO.

The red and blue stats are the ones being raised/lowered by 10% by the pokemons nature. I don't remember which way round they are, but I think red was boost and blue was lower. however you can check with finneon. if its nature is Timid, red it up, blue is down. If it's brave, it's the other way around.

• Global Mods
10 minutes ago, Eray2705 said:

I can give you Lapras (11/31/31/31/31/31) or Froakie (31/31/31/31/25/31) for free if you want 

Yea just casually destroy game balance for him. I mean it's his choice, but a bit part of the reborn experience is starting with a team of subpar mons except for your special starter and making them work, and slowly improving your team as you find new more powerful members as you progress.

just my two cents

I completed the 16 ep with a mono water team. my team wasnt good, but we got the job done. So i will comment about them and you decide if they are interesing for you

-Bibael/simple : he can sweep teams with rollout, Headbutt ( or aqua jet/quickattack ) and setup moves , amnesia, defence curl, curse or battle itens (X attack, X defense , etc).

-Seaking/Lighting Rod: doesnt the best stats, but can use megahorn, poison jab, bounce, drill run, waterfall , soak, agility ( aka intesing moveset).Also has a eletric imunity. But in goldeen stage is very bad and can be caught later in the game.

-Crawdaunt/Adaptability: With his ablity, he can cause A LOT of water/dark physical damage in one hit, constantly causing 1hitKo... And that is the problem, he is very slow , has poor sp.def/hp and fighting moves are common. If you know how protect/suport him, he will destroy everything. Also he has sword dance.

-Greninja/Protean: he is a ninja

-Seismitoad/Posion Touch: my shiny tank/suport pokemon, has great type (with just a 4x weakness to grass) and good stats. Can easily use rain dance, mudshot/ice wind(slow),infestation or direct damage with ground moves and drain punch. Also, every time the enemy pokemon contact seismitoad, has a chance to get poison.

i suggest using whatever pokémon available untill you get the good rod and catch a skrelp it becomes dragalge a dragon/poison type which is useful

Edited by Amine elhedhili

Thank you all for your replies :)

I guess I will stick to Goldeen for a change and keep an eye out for other Pokemon. And it is nice of you to offer Eray, but I'm with Dreamblitz. I like challenging games more than easy ones (that's one of the reasons why I like Reborn more than the original games ;) )

Don't underestimate Pelipper(wait until gen 7 changes get implemented, he's going to be really awesome then) either. I wrote him off as early bird fodder but he was insanely useful in my flying monorun. The ability to change fields at will(if just temporarily and even that got a buff due to the field extender) via mist is one that should not be overlooked. He's excellent support.