Pokedex Completion

Dante52

So it's always kinda bothered me that in most of the Pokemon games I've played, both in the main games and in fan-made ones, there's usually not a significant reward for completing the Pokedex. Feel free to argue with me on this, but it always seems pretty underwhelming to me. I wish that the effort was acknowledged/rewarded, ya know? Like maybe there could be some crazy PokeFanatic, and as they see you complete more and more of your Pokedex they trust that you are a true lover of Pokemon and take you on crazy sidequests or tell you where to locate rare pokemon or items, ya know? I'd love it if something like this were incorporated into a game.  

What are everyone's thoughts on the Pokedex? Do you feel you're rewarded enough? Do you feel that it is its own reward? 

I typically see it as a personal challenge and the "reward" is really bragging rights. As I see it it's hard to up the ante from the shiny charm, and the problem is, you already have all the Pokemon so leading to another one as a reward is obviously not that great. I agree some kind of reward would be fun but I'm sure devs hit writers block when they come to thinking about that.

1 hour ago, BIGJRA said:

I typically see it as a personal challenge and the "reward" is really bragging rights. As I see it it's hard to up the ante from the shiny charm, and the problem is, you already have all the Pokemon so leading to another one as a reward is obviously not that great. I agree some kind of reward would be fun but I'm sure devs hit writers block when they come to thinking about that.

I think the idea here is having rewards at various stages of completion-not necessarily just finishing the whole set.

55 minutes ago, gryson said:

in pokemon uranium you get items and 'rare' pokemons if u catch a amount of pokemon

thats kinda cool

I really like Uranium's setup-the Pokemon you get are pretty neat, too.

I think it mainly depends on the game itself, though-with Reborn, for example, it wouldn't really be great to offer because a lot of Pokemon can be missable, and the point is more to have a challenge with battles, not to have an abundance of Pokemon. 

10 hours ago, TechSkylaner1518 said:

I think the idea here is having rewards at various stages of completion-not necessarily just finishing the whole set.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. But not just like "Way to go! Here are some ultra balls!  (but early ultra balls in Reborn would actually be pretty awesome...) I more was thinking like it would unlock a new sidequest or area or something. 

10 hours ago, TechSkylaner1518 said:

I think it mainly depends on the game itself, though-with Reborn, for example, it wouldn't really be great to offer because a lot of Pokemon can be missable, and the point is more to have a challenge with battles, not to have an abundance of Pokemon. 

I get that Reborn is mostly focused on the story and the difficulty of the battles, but I still think it'd be a fun series of sidequests in a game like Reborn, especially because it's so difficult to hunt down some Pokemon. Just my opinion though :)