Glitch field > Thoughts

DemICE

So, after messing around the game for a while, in story and online battles,   i have come to the conclusion, that the glitch field, has a lot of potential, and it is fun to build teams for it. 

However, because it changes so many "laws" compared to other fields, it is the field, whose "owner" is punished the most, if it is changed to another.   And in reborn, there is a multitude of ways to change the field.

The "guest"  has better hopes of coping in a glitch field, because some of their members' power might not be affected much by it, if not at all.

However, the "owner" would most prolly have their whole team built for his own field. Consisting of pokemon and movesets whose functionality might be next to broken outside the field.

One solution i can thnk of, came from the fact that as of E16,  Malamar has been blessed with its own way of creating a field, courtesy of topsy turvy. And has opened the door to new possibilities for the future.

If the "owner" has a similar means to restore the field after it has been altered,  it gives them a better chance of coping against someone who likes to change fields a lot.

And who would be a better candidate for that than the Porygon line? A creature from the cyberspace itself.  By using Conversion 1/2 it could create a glitch field for 5 turns,  enhanced by Amplified Rock,  and, in case of the glitch field being the "base arena" restore it if it was previously altered.  

This would also synergize with Porygon in the field, since normal becomes physical, and porygon is a special attacker.  By using Conversion to turn its type into one of its special moves', it can go back to the offensive, while supporting the glitch team!

I believe that the above idea could be used to enhance our already awesome battling system even more.

/discuss

Death to glitch field. I do hate the field for how many laws are changed and that even the fundamental laws are changed. I do hope that the amount of times I see it is a little as possible. However making a single pokemon being able to destroy the field is not that much of a solution.

20 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

Death to glitch field. I do hate the field for how many laws are changed and that even the fundamental laws are changed. I do hope that the amount of times I see it is a little as possible. However making a single pokemon being able to destroy the field is not that much of a solution.

Apparently you have completely misunderstood what i wrote.

That one pokemon is able to temporary deploy the field.  Not destroy it.

And the solution is not about how to destroy it. it is about how to help a glitch team maintain it.

I just noticed that Shuckle could become a ridiculous sweeper in that field because of... well... 230 base SpA...

Sadly, the only move it gets that wasn't physical before the split is Knock Off, and it still becomes physical because Dark, Steel and Fairy moves become Normal in that field. Oh well.

18 minutes ago, CMV said:

I just noticed that Shuckle could become a ridiculous sweeper in that field because of... well... 230 base SpA...

Sadly, the only move it gets that wasn't physical before the split is Knock Off, and it still becomes physical because Dark, Steel and Fairy moves become Normal in that field. Oh well.

Trust me i researched Gltch shuckle and realised that the only special move it could have, is Hidden power.  Sux for it.

Blissey, Dragalge, Regice, Mantine on the other hand...

Found the ultimate beast

Goodra @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Sap Sipper  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- Blizzard  
- Thunderbolt

Assault vest rises Goodra's huge special defense (150) to absurd levels. Draco Meteor is a 130 power STAB that has its downside ignored because it uses special defense to compute the damage. Besides, if steel and fairy don't exist, there are no resistances to it. Chose 3 random moves for coverage (Blizzard over ice beam because it gets 90 accuracy in glitch field).

7 hours ago, Lugruf said:

Assault vest rises Goodra's huge special defense (150) to absurd levels. Draco Meteor is a 130 power STAB that has its downside ignored because it uses special defense to compute the damage. Besides, if steel and fairy don't exist, there are no resistances to it. Chose 3 random moves for coverage (Blizzard over ice beam because it gets 90 accuracy in glitch field).

Only Steel and Fairy moves become Normal, Steel and Fairy type Pokemon do not mysteriously lose their typing.

As for topic, honestly I'm all for more options to set field effects that don't have a method to set them yet, as well as help with maintaining them. Porygon line with Conversion seem like a good method to go about setting Glitch Field, too.

14 minutes ago, Lost Lore said:

Only Steel and Fairy moves become Normal, Steel and Fairy type Pokemon do not mysteriously lose their typing.

As for topic, honestly I'm all for more options to set field effects that don't have a method to set them yet, as well as help with maintaining them. Porygon line with Conversion seem like a good method to go about setting Glitch Field, too.

Dark type should also be set to Normal type. c:

I absolutely love the idea of a competitive format using the field effects, so I'm all for this! The Glitch Field seems like it offers a lot of room for exploration, so I like it additionally for that reason. I posted a topic in the past that a new item or collection of items should be introduced (either in post-game or as exclusively usable in online battles) to enable their holder to create the different fields in certain situations by using certain moves. It/they would be limited to only one holder per team though, just like Mega Stones. I loved the Gen 5 metagame with its weather wars and what not (idk how many people feel the same way xD), so a meta with 34 different 'weathers' is particularly alluring to me.

Edited by WujiKyurem

This field is really interesting and allow many kinds of strategies, mainly using pokemons with high sp.def like goodra and gardevoir. But for me, that field was a nightmare the first time I battled Terra, I wasn't really prepared for this and have too many dark, fairy and steel moves in my team, and worse, I hade too many things that used Physical ice, water and grass moves, then you can see how i strugled to beat her, i really don't remember that field fondly =/

On 1/7/2017 at 2:35 AM, ~ Guiller ~ said:

This field is really interesting and allow many kinds of strategies, mainly using pokemons with high sp.def like goodra and gardevoir. But for me, that field was a nightmare the first time I battled Terra, I wasn't really prepared for this and have too many dark, fairy and steel moves in my team, and worse, I hade too many things that used Physical ice, water and grass moves, then you can see how i strugled to beat her, i really don't remember that field fondly =/

Sure but when you see what a wuss her team, and generally every glitch team is when the field is changed, you will meet my point firsthand.  I am speaking from practical experience.

• Administrators

admittedly i'd be really interested to see what glitch-theme team runs end up looking like

i am a little hesitant to start generating fields on too many normal moves (inverse was kind of an excpetion since it wouldnt exist anywhere else normally) but the effect is somewhat appealing. 

i dont necessarily want to do it just for conversion/2... but maybe if the two were used in tandem? kind of like the pledges/making rainbow. that makes sense as something that might glitch out.

13 hours ago, Amethyst said:

i dont necessarily want to do it just for conversion/2... but maybe if the two were used in tandem? kind of like the pledges/making rainbow. that makes sense as something that might glitch out.

Your idea fits more thematically.  Though it would come with some practical issues.

Unlike rainbow field, which is merely a handy bonus for any team,  glitch field is a necessity for glitch teams,  in the same way trick room is for trick room teams, like my main team @ reborn online battles.   Glitch pokemon, would underperform very poorly outside their field, especially those that have movesets affected by physical/special split,  or sp.atk/sp.def split.

Now, if Trick room needed 2 attacks to combo in order to set it up?  This would be very bad. Even as it is, sometimes there is trouble in setting it up, like taunt, ohkos by unexpected leads, and such, which is one of the ways to counter trick room teams.

Considering the above, if going by your idea, i'd highly suggest to make the field change last far longer than 5 turns, so that it is worth the 2-turn set up.  (which in most cases will result in sacrificing the setter).

Still, if the glitch field is the initial arena, and someone changed it, i believe it would thematically be fitting to only revert it back by using only one of the moves, since the arena was already prone to glitching to begin with!

Otherwise, if it's preffered to last 5 turns, i think it would really work better as a single move setup in all cases.

Edited by DemICE