EXP?

Wolfox

In the End of an Era thread, @Amethyst said:

Instead of being bought, Ace Membership will be gated by account age and a new feature called EXP (it's exactly what you think).
  • EXP will be earned by contributing positively to the site, including earning reputation, helping others in need, and helping to keep others in line.
  • EXP can also be lost when you receive warning points.
  • It may also be worth mentioning that this EXP system will be available to users who primarily use the server only (unlike our current post count requirement, which has been removed), making it practical for them to get ace/voice too.

Edit: I've also heard that the Samaritan's Speaksay has awarded a large amount of exp to people who are written about in the positive feedback that is submitted. 

Along with this, it's mostly up to the forum authorities to decide whether or not you gain EXP or not. Sure, you could be helping a lot of people in some way, but if an authority does not see it or does not think your action is worthy of EXP, then they will not award EXP to you.

Edited by Dypatome

Exp is a system that was supposed to replace the old system, but it really isn't used for much other than to gain ace membership once it reaches 1,000 points. As for how to gain exp, I am unfortunately going to have to take a jab at the site and system saying it is near impossible.

Though a more serious answer, basically mods or staff give you points...based on doing a good job or being helpful. Other members could kind of give points to another person by making a topic in the speakeasy thread, though anonymously. I also think staff giving you rep also increases your exp. Rep is just Reborn's of the like button.

As for the amount of exp given for the methods above, I have no idea as I haven't gained any myself. The reason I have 1,000 exp is due to being an ace before the new system was in place. I have seen a couple people's experience go up about 20 points but again, that's not a reliable number.

15 hours ago, Commander said:

I also think staff giving you rep also increases your exp. 

This isn't correct. We award rep and exp to posts separately (although posts can get both from the same person). Rep can contribute to a portion of EXP but who gave it doesn't matter. Users can receive up to 250 EXP via rep on a two to one basic (e.g. each two rep points give one EXP so once you've reached 500 rep no more EXP can be earnt through it). This process isn't done automatically though and it requires us to add it manually so it realistically won't be added until a user either has a lot of rep or is very close to having the required EXP for ace where their rep might make a difference to whether or not they are eligible. 

But pretty much everything else that has been said is accurate. We try to keep up with positive contributions to the forums and make sure the people who are helping out get their reward. Not every helpful post will get awarded exp but if you help out and contribute well you should get a fair amount of exp. 

4 hours ago, mde2001 said:

But pretty much everything else that has been said is accurate. We try to keep up with positive contributions to the forums and make sure the people who are helping out get their reward. Not every helpful post will get awarded exp but if you help out and contribute well you should get a fair amount of exp. 

Perhaps you can explain this mde, but from what I've experienced the times I've gotten exp seems pretty arbitrary, and inconsistent. One post which where I answer a question may give exp, but one with a more in depth answer will not. 

This is not to say that exp is particularly important, but I'd still like to reach Ace Member status within a reasonable time-frame, since my current rate of acquisition of exp leads me to believe that it will take me 3-4 years, as compared to nearly having reached it within 6 months of activity on the previous forums. 

2 minutes ago, Tartar said:

Perhaps you can explain this mde, but from what I've experienced the times I've gotten exp seems pretty arbitrary, and inconsistent. One post which where I answer a question may give exp, but one with a more in depth answer will not. 

This is not to say that exp is particularly important, but I'd still like to reach Ace Member status within a reasonable time-frame, since my current rate of acquisition of exp leads me to believe that it will take me 3-4 years, as compared to nearly having reached it within 6 months of activity on the previous forums. 

Yeah, we're working on trying to make it all a little less arbitrary as the system is currently far from perfect. To be frank EXP is currently awarded when we notice something and remember to award it, which can mean some lesser things might get rewarded over some more major ones. I totally get why this is frustrating and we're working towards trying to make a less random way of awarding things (although realistically there is always going to be an element of randomness given there will be times where no-one notices a post that is super deserving of some reward). 

Hopefully once we improve the system a bit and get used to awarding more EXP things will speed up a bit as we don't want people to have to wait 3 or 4 years to get Ace. So I guess all I can say is try to bear with us while we work on the system and hopefully we'll come up with something that gets people who are contributing well to Ace in a more reasonable time frame.