which is the best type to monorun?

superkipling

I finished the current ep of the pokemon showdown with just water pokemons, So i want a restart with another type to monorun.

What is the better type to do that? (using as  parameters : variability of strategies, interessing pokemon { mainly his ability/type combination} , being possible )

also, sorry for my bad english

So I've finished to Episode 16: Steel, Psychic, Dragon, Ground

In progress are Bug and Fighting.

Of these, Steel is the most fun because you have one starter choice, enough variability in Pokemon, by the end you can have six different dual types (My team is Empoleon, Metagross, Magnezone, Aggron, Bisharp, Steelix).

Dragon you need to stretch your rules, six noibats for the first 48 levels is near impossible. I did Treecko and Mareep since their megas are dragon, you could alternatively trade in a baby Goomy or something. Not recommended for a first.

Psychic is also fun, though a bit more limited than Steel. Every mon of mine was Psychic + Calm Mind + Coverage + Status/Coverage except Gallade, but hey it gets the job done. 

Ground also is fun, similar to steel and you get TWO starter choices. You can have a very varied team, run a Sandstorm strat w/ Hippowdon, whatever -- though the battle with Blake on Ametrine is BRUTAL.

Bug is actually also fun, you have lots of options early game that make all the gyms possible. Early game bug is easy, though I suspect late game @Charlotte will be really challenging.

Fighting is a pain, cannot recommend. Still have no idea how to beat Corey lol.

1 hour ago, BIGJRA said:

Of these, Steel is the most fun because you have one starter choice, enough variability in Pokemon, by the end you can have six different dual types (My team is Empoleon, Metagross, Magnezone, Aggron, Bisharp, Steelix).

Enough said. 

Also a Trick Room team with defensive Bronzong, Empoleon and Steelix is fairly immortal. Add in other slow heavy hitters like Magnezone or Aggron, and you're set. Bisharp is also effective in Trick Room; it can be made slow enough to abuse it and also has SuckerPunch to do a fine job outside it.

Late game gives you Metagross and Lucario, now also Magnezone because it was moved to later on. All of those three are independent wincons.

3 hours ago, BIGJRA said:

Ground also is fun, similar to steel and you get three starter choices. You can have a very varied team, run a Sandstorm strat w/ Hippowdon, whatever -- though the battle with Blake on Ametrine is BRUTAL.

I am currently doing a ground mono and I can confirm that it is a very fun run if not a little easy. Though that might be because I gave myself a Drilbur after the mystery egg event. I still haven't reached Ametrine so I am looking forward for that Blake battle. Though my team shouldn't have much trouble with ice types and if it does then Hippo + Exca in sand should do the trick.

Also, Swampert and Torterra are the only ground starters... Unless I'm missing something?

EDIT:

Also, the hardest part of doing a ground mono imo is dealing with Fern's Ludicolo. That thing can hit EVERY single ground type with a super effective STAB move (or a x4 ice attack) and it is fast enough to outspeed most (all if they are univested) ground type mons. That thing eats the souls of ground mono trainers. I am sure glad Fern got rid of it by the time we got to Aya.

Edited by Farnsworth

I'm currently doing mono poison. It's quite nice except when battling Shade, maybe it's because I don't have pokemon with better Sp.Def. Anyway, Shade is the hardest for me.

Second hardest probably Sheryl. Bug with Psychic moves is Poison's nightmare. But with Poison/Dark pokemon it should be alright (I don't know I haven't test it).

The rest is very easy. Corey and Aya is the easiest because we're poison. I just finished until Radomus which I really disappointed at him. I'm looking forward battling Ground Gym Leader, T3RR4.

If you want to choose easy one, choose that one type that has little weakness like Electric. Then choose pokemon that can do a lot of types moves.

There really is no "Best type" to monorun, as all types have their moments to shine and moments where they struggle.

All in all, I suggest just using your favorite types and doing a mono with that. I've completed everything up to and including E16 with an Ice Mono, Ice being my favorite type, and am planning on starting either a Dark or Water Mono, my second and third favorite types.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions , steel and ground look interesting , but i am going to play with monodark team , like Razkar saided, dark has so much good and diverse pokemons.

I also consider flying, but reborn doesn't have  Gyarados , Dragonite , Scizor ,  Skarmory , Salamence ... that is frustrating

For Anstane: I understand your commentary, but my favorite type is water, so i want diferent type with pokemon i never played ( that why i put parameters). If you wanna some tips about watermonorun just contact me : )

I personally tried a poison monotype run and I found it to be easier than doing a regular run. You can get a full team before Julia since you're able to get 9 different poison pokemon. You'll get access to all possible status conditions at an early stage including the very powerful Glare and the cookie cutter Toxic Spikes. There are bulky poison types, all three kinds of attackers (physical, special and mixed), speedy poison types and strong debuffers. You'll be able to build a well rounded team with nearly no effort. There are 5 fields where poison types excel (corrosive mist, corrosive, wasteland, swamp and murkwater surface) and 3 fields can be transformed into one of them (grassy terrain, misty terrain, water surface). Grassy Terrain can be set up by Roserade and then transformed by any Sludge Wave user. So the world is your oyster when it comes to choosing strategies.

Poison gets around its psychic weakness with the help of a Skuntank or a Drapion. Alternatively any poison/bug type can do the same, but I tend to avoid bugs, so I wouldn't know. Their ground weakness is easily mitigated by the plethora of poison/bug, poison/grass types or completely negated by Crobat. The only real natural enemy is steel, as they are immune and tend to not be affected by favourable fields as well. Countering them is the only place where your choices are somewhat limited. SKuntankgets Flamethrower, Nidoking and Nidoqueen get Earth Power and the meager Double Kick, Muk gets Mud Bomb and then there's Corey's Croagunk which has the Egg move Drain Punch and Mud Bomb. This weakness doesn't hinder you too much, as the really threatening steel type encounters tend to come after you do get access to most of these counters.

Hmm I don't like steel all that much TBH due to how slow most of them are and how you're really limited early on. You have klink line and piplup basically :/ 

I second poison though, poison is flat out awesome in Reborn. To add on Rum said above, poison is also notable for being able to take good advantage of Reborn's field system as they interact with a good variety of fields, even transforming several of them to their advantage. Plus you have a slew of options whole game through and not just later on like some of the other types. Also thematically it fits the tone of the game well.

I did flying before and it was a blast. It's actually not all THAT hard save for a couple of fights. I made a thread with it too detailing my team along the way  and how useful they were.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Well I did mention the fields for poison in quite some detail. I do not like steel either and I am quite disappointed by the Empoleon line. Their natural learnset is underwhelming at best. Still steel is not down to only two pokemon for the beginning. There are also Burmy, Pineco and Onix available. If you're lucky enough to have Drilbur or Bisharp in your mystery egg, you'll get a full team before Corey. It's still debatable how good that first full team is. And sure the endgame team can be strong, but aside from Thunder Wave, Stealth Rocks and Sandstorm their choice for strategy is pretty limited.