Salvage-A-Pokemon Project (Redesigning Pokemon to be Useful Competitively)

Lord Chespin

So, as I'm sure you know, there are over 800 Pokemon out there. Some are useful in various competitive niches, some have useful typings or abilities, and some are staples on pretty much every team.

And then there are these guys.

chimecho.gifcastform.gifflareon.gif

These guys have basically no niche, even in the depths of PU. They may have been designed with a niche in mind, but they utterly fail at that niche. Maybe their stats are to low overall, or they get outclassed at every step of the way, or maybe they were built around a gimmick that just isn't competitively viable. Whatever the case is, these guys are the worst of the worst when it comes to competitive battling.

It's time to change that.

The purpose of this thread is to rebuild these guys from the ground up. I don't mean giving them new evolutions, new forms, new megas, or new designs; I mean taking what we have and giving them much-needed buffs. Maybe it's a new ability, like in the case of Pelliper, or maybe it's access to a new move (or a new move entirely), like Heatmor. Sometimes, it could just be a good old base stat buff. To show you what I mean,  here's an example from a game I'm making (the changes are in italics):

Flareon 2.0

Spoiler

flareon.gif

Flareon

Type: Fire

Ability: Flash Fire/Fur Coat

HP: 65

Attack: 130

Defense: 65

Special Attack: 60

Special Defense: 110

Speed: 95

Level-Up Movepool Additions: Jump Kick (33), Blaze Kick (37)

TM Movepool Additions: Stone Edge (TM71), Rock Slide (TM80), Wild Charge (TM93)

Brand-New Moves: Gentle Warmth (Effect: Heals user by 50% normally, 25% on a Warm Field,, and 66% on a Cold Field)

Ever since the First Generation, Flareon has been decried as a false prophet, with a pathetic stat distribution and awful movepool behind a facade of an awesome appearance. However, with these buffs, Flareon has seen the light and become an Anti-Antichrist, finally ready to give its opponents a run for its money! With some shifting of its stats and access to fur coat (which doubles its defense), it finally becomes a decent bulky attacker with a workable Speed stat. Reliable recovery only furthers its effectiveness as a bulky attacker, and its improved coverage allows it to run a choice scarf set. Of course, not everything's perfect; it has to rely on a lot of recoil moves to work effectively, which hurts it considering its pathetic 65 base HP, it's vulnerable to all entry hazards, and it struggles against common OU threats, like Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Ash-Greninja.

Sample sets:

The Church of Dome (Bulky Offensive)

Flareon @ Leftovers

Ability: Fur Coat

252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def

Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Jump Kick

- Wild Charge

- Gentle Warmth

The given IVs and Nature maximize the amount of damage you can do, while also making you as bulky as possible. Flare Blitz, Jump Kick, and Wild Charge give Flareon perfect coverage bar Alolan Marowak, and Gentle Warm lets you heal off the damage you're tanking, as well as recoil.

Amber Alert (Choice Scarf)

Flareon @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Fur Coat

4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

Jolly Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Jump Kick

- Wild Charge

- Stone Edge

The given Nature and IVs allow Scarfed Flareon to outspeed everything up to positive-natured Scarfed Tapu Lele and Kyurem-Black. The first three moves (as mentioned above) hit everything except Alolan Marowak, which gets hit hard by Stone Edge.

So yeah, most examples should be formatted like this. Let me know what you guys come up with!

EDIT: Also, Smogon did an article on something like this! Here it is: http://www.smogon.com/articles/bottom-of-the-bibarel

Edited by Lord Chespin

Ooh, ooh, my turn.

Chimecho 2.0

Spoiler

chimecho.gif

Chimecho

Type: Psychic/Fairy.

Ability: Levitate/Magic Bounce/Magic Guard.

HP: 100

Attack: 50

Defense: 105

Special Attack: 100

Special Defense: 110

Speed: 95

New level-up moves: Encore( 17); Defog( 31); Tailwind( 35); Whirlwind( 40); Moonblast( 45), Parting Shot( 48), Memento( 56).

For a super-rare Pokemon( 2-5%?!), it is extremely useless, due to it's horrible stats and the fact that it is a cleric but don't have Wish. But now, with a BTS of 545 and a spanking new Fairy typing, along with an amazing move in Parting Shot, amongst other things. It can take many hits and pass Wishes off that beautiful 100 HP, hazard control, put things to sleep with Yawn, etc. However, not all is well for our kawaii little windbell, as Steel types can wall it to the Moon and back, it faces a lot of competition from Clefable, which can touch Steel types, have Unaware and Stealth Rock, and the fact that ~80% of the OU tier have coverage against Chimecho( thanks Tapu Lele).

Sample sets:

Ins and outs( Defensive pivot)

Chimecho @ Leftovers  
Ability: Magic Bounce  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Recover  
- Parting Shot  
- Thunder Wave  
- Moonblast

You come in on things that Chimecho can resist, Thunder Wave/ Moonblast, then Parting Shot out of an unfavorable matchup. EVs can vary. EVs is to be as fast and live as many hits as possible. 

Do you think you can KO? (Magic Guard+Calm Mind)

Chimecho @ Leftovers  
Ability: Magic Guard  
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Calm Mind  
- Moonblast  
- Recover  
- Psyshock

It's Clefable V1.5. Nothing to say here.

Jingle bells ( Cleric)

Chimecho @ Leftovers  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Heal Bell  
- Taunt  
- Parting Shot  
- Wish

It's relatively simple: You come in, Heal Bell/Taunt/Parting Shot, then Parting Shot out when needed. The EVs are the same as the first set.

Windbell ( Hazard Control)

Chimecho @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Memento
- Encore 
- Defog  
- Thunder Wave

Yeah, the EVs are the same as the last one. Just change it when you need to. It can function as an anti-lead, with Encore and Defog to clear away hazards in order that the setter can set hazards without getting it Defogged' away, Thunder Wave the opposing lead and also a one-time cleric with Z-Memento.

Edited by crulla

First of all, Welcome to the forum, crulla! I love your idea for Chimecho, but I'm a little confused about some things. For one, does Chimecho now get wish?You mentioned it in the overview, but it's not listed in the new moves or any of the competitive sets. Also, wouldn't Parting Shot work better on the Hazard Control set over Memento? I'm no competitive battler, but I think you'd want a defogger to stay alive for most of the match, and Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento both fully heal the new Pokemon coming in.

Anyway, here's another idea I had, once again inspired by Twitch Plays Pokemon:

Farfetch'd 2.0

Spoiler

farfetchd.gif

Farfetch'd

Type: Fighting/Flying

Ability: Hyper Cutter/Super Luck/Defiant

HP: 75

Attack: 110

Defense: 80

Special Attack: 50

Special Defense: 85

Speed: 105

Total: 505

Level-Up Movepool Changes: Karate Chop (7), Low Sweep (19), Mach Punch (43), Sacred Sword (49)

So, Farfetch'd actually got buffed last generation (from 65 Attack to 90 Attack), but that barely helped it, so I decided to give it a little more of a buff (okay, a lot more of a buff). With these changes, Farfetch'd becomes far more than a slayer of trees, and can actually hold its own in battle! Even better, with its new ability Super Luck and the effect of its signature held item, the Stick, it can effectively double its damage output with guaranteed critical hits! Unfortunately, this duck is still as frail as, well, a duck, so if it can't get a KO, expect it to get KO'd in return. Additionally, base 105 speed is really good, but it still fails to outspeed certain big threats in OU and UU, like Latias.

Sample Sets:

Hax is an Art Form (Standard)

Farfetch'd @ Stick

Ability: Super Luck

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Sacred Sword

- Brave Bird

- Knock Off / Substitute

- U-Turn / Swords Dance

The EVs are more or less standard, with the remaining 4 EVs dumped in HP because Farfetch'd now takes neutral damage from Stealth Rock. Sacred Sword and Brave Bird give you more or less perfect coverage, so the last two slots are up to you. Knock Off and U-Turn provide utility, while Substitute and Swords Dance provide both second chances in sweeping and a chance to get even more scary with +2 Attack Critical Hits.