Implementing Triple Battles

Sardines

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on going about implementing Triple Battles in Pokemon Essentials. I think it would be neat, plus, if I can get it done (hopefully) then I would upload/share it with the public so people can incorporate into their own fangames (if they even want to :P).

One thing that has been bothering me and made me procrastinate from starting has been the question: why has no one done this before (not necessarily the developer of Essentials but even other programmers online - cause I see nothing related to it from Google search)? If it is a hassle or difficult, is it really that big a challenge? Stuff like Elite Battle System and other extra features have been done by other developers, and I'm sure those were no easy task. This question is mainly meant for programmers who have delved into Pokemon Esssentials. I myself am a programmer and have a bit of experience in Essentials (have had a look at a few things and messed about with it a bit, but will continue to learn more) but I would like to get the thoughts of someone who has delved into the code and would be able to tell better why it would be a challenge or if it is impossible or too much effort to be worth it or that it is actually not that hard but only a lot of coding required.

NOTE: I am a programmer, so I'm not asking how to code or how to go about this (though any guidance/advice/pseudocode would be greatly appreciated) just what insights any programmer themselves have on the feasibility of this endeavor :P However, if you aren't a programmer but have a good perspective then do give some feedback or if you know someone on here who could tell better, do direct them to this topic to give their thoughts (I would be eternally grateful).

P.S.: I feel I have written so much to ask/explain so little, would be nice if I could be concise in my thoughts/statements

Edited by sardines

Err...I think this project may be a bit too much to do for one person as it literally does require formatting huge sections of the script (to the point that it may be easier to look at the entire thing and make changes where the code is used), but that's moreso on the functional standpoint which I suppose is possible. The second front is stopping all of the inevitable lag that will occur from adding in an additional two Pokemon as well as the ability to shift a Pokemon/auto center them due to how moves need to be redefined. The final thing is the recreation of graphics and the UI interface (or moving the images around if possible) as the current on essential runs off of won't work due to not enough space.

From my basic knowledge, it is very possible but probably a few months worth of work at the very least (and I mean dedicating a large chunk of work each day). I doubt you will be capable of juggling that along with school and the couple of fan-game projects you are a part of just due to the sheer amount of coding (as every single Pokemon move will need recodded even). You also likely will want to do this on Essentials V16 or whatever the most current/stable version there is due to how Reborn is near completion.

Even from my stance with Hardcore, something like this won't be of use to me unless it's fully functional before E17's release (or very close to that release date). It's merely add a layer forcing me to redo large chunks of the mod to the point it's not worth fighting to get it work when the game is reaching its final stretch. Maybe if the design and coding was solidly built I'd work with it and spend a few weeks customizing it to my needs, but that's a really big if.

While I think the idea is cool and would probably get a lot of praise if done well, it doesn't really have that much practical use for the effort required. Double battles aren't super common in fan-games other than a few outliers, but triples is kind of obscure in use. That's the biggest reason why nobody has taken on the challenge to make it since I can't really think of anyone who wants to use it (and thinking on it, I don't care for triples). People will use it if it works, but on a very small scale. If that's work taking on this project, be my guest as it'll allow for more unique battle designs. Just know it will be a lot of work.