What are the qualifications for a person to be a gym leader?

Ragnor

Lately, I've been wondering what are the qualifications for a person to become a gym leader. Is it to complete the regional league? To achieve a name or status in the region? To have certain characteristics or traits? To be someone attached to the law? It hasn't been quite clear what the requirements are for this famous title. But for me, I'd like to give the gym leader title to people who possess unique traits, are good at battling, have capabilities to encourage trainers, and can fight against threats in the region.

If you were the Pokemon League Head, what qualifications would you require for aspiring gym leaders?

gym leaders are mostly ones either from family line or home town.. to keep the circle close, as you can see in-games they all know their gym leader very well.. except those who were chosen by the league. if they are chosen by the league it would mean they are very well known trainers within the league. like ex champs or elites.. maybe trainers who faught and lost but still showed some real skill against an elite or champ.

's how i see it. i could be VERY wrong but eh.

First I'd say the have to be a famous local figure. Many of them are related to a previous gym leader and inherited their positions, but others distinguished themselves by other means: Surge is a tough war veteran, Blue was a successful league challenger, Sabrina is renowned for her psychic powers, Wattson played a big part in building and modernizing his town etc.

Secondly they have to demonstrate their ability to use a single type with proficiency, Blue being the exception as he used a balanced team (maybe he got a pass due to being a former champion).

I don't know about anime or game canon, but in Adventure manga, it was stated that in order to become gym leaders, they have to take qualifying exams in the form of battles, Norman once held off on taking it due to the whole Ruby(one of the protagonists in Adventure manga) situations with Salamence

• Global Mods

I used to assume Gym Leaders were just the strongest trainer in their city/town, although with Blue, it seems like you don't have to live there to be the Gym Leader. It's possible places like Pallet Town are too small to build a gym in. 

I've always wondered why Blue is a Gym Leader when he's at Champion level. IMO he should be an Elite Four at least, and the Champion himself if Lance didn't surpass him. I don't really expect a gym challenger to be able to beat a former Champion unless like the player they're on their second region. Cheren makes sense considering he started over with a new team. 

In the Reborn world becoming a gym leader is primarily about strength. If you're strong enough with a type you can take a Gym Leader Qualification Test and if you pass you're allowed to become a Replacement Gym Leader, and you can take over the spot once the main leader becomes unqualified to continue his position. 

We saw this in EP16 where Ameria had to retake the challenge because her strength after her amnesia was in question. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a mastery of a type in pokemons and for a certain level caps.

Don't you think it's ridiculous for a gym leader to have such low level pokemons?

I don't think popularity and town size is a requirement here. Even at Ruby, there's a town big enough but has no gym. At Reborn, Shade doesn't even live in a town. His gym is in middle of nowhere, broken, and only willing to power it on after you successfully beat him. Come on Shade! Don't you see we're on run!?

In Reborn, you have to be some combination of the following:

1) an orphaned kid 

2) mentally unstable

3) murderous

4) part of a dysfunctional family, preferably with someone close to you having been dead

5) dead yourself, or some kind of eldritch phantom

as others have said, most of the leaders are either residents of the town and/or family with the previous leader or have some connection

around the 7th/8th badge that stops being relevant. in gen 1 giovanni was that leader, and even though blaine was a resident it seemed like less to do with a handout and more to do with like... actual prowess, since he is a proved scientist. also, green  (or blue in the games), replaces him in gen 2 after being kicked out of the e4

in gen 2 i have no idea what order the gyms go in, but in the case of jasmine shes a kind lady, and clair was probably handed her title but after a trial. i think she was at least given leeway

to do the rest would take a while but for the most part i think those higher titles arent really given for just "being family with them" or "been a resident for 14 years" without some trial. only exception i can think of is volkner, my mans was probably a prodigy cuz of how he talks. 

the elite four is more likely to like, hand out titles due to actual merit or what have you. 

• 2 weeks later...