Level Limit

Amethyst

• Administrators

Area B

For the next update, I've modified the level limit for Pokemon obedience. In the main series games, you have to have a certain badge for traded Pokemon up to level __ to obey you.

This now applies to all non-traded Pokemon as well.

Why am I putting this in? Many users seem to get their starter, and then just sweep every trainer in the game effortlessly with it. In doing so, that Pokemon far surpasses the game's level curve, making the battles completely mindless. Doing that completely takes the challenge out of the game- both battling, and catching/raising Pokemon.

Expanding this level limit will discourage this sort of play, and force people to actually, you know, put thought into their choices in the game. c:

The levels have also been adjusted to suit the game's curve (meaning that Kadabra will no longer disobey before anyone else does), and furthermore the implementation of this limit will allow me to raise the levels of the wild Pokemon. I had deliberately kept them lower before so people didn't quickly become over-levelled, but now that's not an issue.

When I proposed this change to a handful of people on the server, it was generally well-received. Hopefully everyone is able to adapt their play-style accordingly. :D

• Administrators

Mael- I wish. But not yet.

Swim- Well you COULD try, buuut, I think you'll be better off raising some other Pokemon, too. >>

Wolf- Psh, I'm not even trying to make it challenging just so much as not mindless.

Well, I'm sure there are still ways for your squirtle to overcome all challengers, but that just takes more thought now.

In response based on my own thoughts; it'll happen one of two ways. Either nothing will change for me, since I do things at an underleveled state, or I will be placed into a new environment as a bit too good.

We shall see.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, you don't need a level cap. All you need is low levelled wild Pokemon and decent Trainers with Pokemons a few level higher then the supposed level of the player's pokemon. Or you can do it your way.

You'd be suprised. I've got dangerously close to the level cap with my team, usually to the point of beating the leaders just before they level over the limit. The Level Cap add's a very strong difficulty because like Amethyst said

Why am I putting this in? Many users seem to get their starter, and then just sweep every trainer in the game effortlessly with it. In doing so, that Pokemon far surpasses the game's level curve, making the battles completely mindless. Doing that completely takes the challenge out of the game- both battling, and catching/raising Pokemon.

Expanding this level limit will discourage this sort of play, and force people to actually, you know, put thought into their choices in the game. c:

I and many other people are guilty of this. This add's a nice flavor to the challenge that is presented by the game. Back when the first release was out, I had a Blaziken by the time of the first gym, and we all know how fair that is.