Baton Pass Hell (Pokebank OU)

Personthing

Here's a baton pass team I've been having a lot of fun with, and have also had quite a bit of success with. I would like some critique to make it more effective in general. At the time of typing this, this team reached rank 15 on Bank Ladder with a score of 1777.

Proof of peak obtained with this team:

whTYGDE.png

Now then, onto the team: 

xurkitree.gifmanaphy.gifscolipede.giflandorus-therian.giftapubulu.gifsmeargle.gif

The general idea here is to have Landorus-T and Tapu Bulu clear the way for Xurkitree or Manaphy to sweep, while Smeargle is generally a nuisance. Smeargle puts in a lot of work here as well, due to its set working to irritate and slow the opposing team down, making them less reliant on Scolipede as a whole.

xurkitree.gif

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Energy Ball  
- Tail Glow  

Baton Pass sweeper #1. With +2 speed (+2.5 if you wanna be really safe vs rain teams, or if they have scarf Pheromosa) this Pokemon outspeeds everything, and with a tail glow boost it can immediately delete almost anything thrown out it, aside from Alolan Marowak or Excadrill and also Zygarde if rocks aren't up and it's not at least at +1. (Two Pokemon that Manaphy and Landorus-T can clean up very well) Electrium Z allows Xurkitree to do one of two things: Take out an opponent that can survive a +whatever thunderbolt, or should using tail glow be very risky (such as if you fail to Baton Pass with a substitute), get the ball rolling for it to snowball. +4 points of defence is to make Genesect with extreme speed less annoying. Against stall, it generally doesn't need the +speed once Dugtrio has been dealt with, and sometimes with Sticky Web up it doesn't need speed at all vs certain teams.

Some walls or Pokemon that aren't OHKO'd by a +3 t-bolt that Gigavolt Havoc can plow through:

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 561-661 (79.8 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 334-393 (92 - 108.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-Black: 537-633 (137.3 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 496-585 (123 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Energy ball doesn't OHKO)

Some Pokemon that Gigavolt Havoc can get the ball rolling against at +0:

252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 313-370 (86.2 - 101.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 426-501 (164.4 - 193.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (T-bolt doesn't OHKO without rocks, so if you haven't gotten rocks up you need this)

252 SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 327-385 (108.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

manaphy.gif

Manaphy @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Hydration  
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 172 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Surf  
- Energy Ball  
- Ice Beam  
- Tail Glow 

Baton pass sweeper #2. A bit easier to get in vs Xurkitree, though has a little bit of a harder time cleaning house, sometimes barely missing out on OHKOs like vs Mega Metagross if rocks aren't up (+3 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 282-333 (93.6 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO) Surf, Energy Ball, and Ice beam give it the best coverage and power in my opinon, though it is walled by Toxapex, Tentacruel, and Ferrothorn. (Coincidentally Xurkitree beats Toxapex and Tentacruel without boosting, and OHKOs Ferrothorn with +3 Gigavolt Havoc. Landorus-T can also pressure these Pokemon) Much less immediate power than Xurkitree so it absolutely needs Tail Glow to sweep, but its better bulk allows it to set up a bit easier should its substitute break upon being baton passed, or just unable to be passed with one. As per usual, 4 points of defence over special defence is to make Genesect with Extreme speed less of a nuisance. Doesn't really need speed vs stall, and sometimes not at all vs various other teams with sticky webs up.

scolipede.gif

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Substitute  
- Protect  
- Poison Jab  
- Baton Pass  

The baton passer. Full attack allows it to seriously damage the Tapus with poison jab, OHKOing Bulu and Lele (93.8% chance to OHKO on Lele), while also doing sizeable damage to Koko and Fini. Very standard. Black Sludge is there so that mons that try to trick it end up getting hurt every turn.

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance  

Swords dance lets it hit incredibly hard, making it a lot harder to switch into. The speed is so that should baton Passing it be ideal, then it has enough speed to outspeed all scarfers barring Pheromosa and Dugtrio (or the occasional Greninja that decides to run scarf for whatever reason) at +2. You may wonder, why would I carry Stealth Rock on a Swords Dance Landorus-T, and that I should carry Rock Polish instead. That is exactly my reasoning for it, no stall player has ever switched into their Mega Sableye after I reveal Swords Dance, letting me get up Stealth Rock vs whatever they switch into.

tapubulu.gif

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers  
Ability: Grassy Surge  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Horn Leech  
- Superpower  
- Stone Edge  
- Bulk Up

Grassy Terrain supports Scolipede, Xurkitree, and Manaphy, giving them increased Longevity. Bulu itself obviously benefits from this too, and it can be very frightening for certain teams to face. Bulk up is over choice band, as I'd really rather not be locked into one move here, and once special threats are down it becomes a lot harder to take down. Horn Leech doesn't need to be explained, Superpower lets it smash right through Ferrothorn, while Stone Edge lets it nail things like Zard Y on the switch in, and if it has a bulk up or two under its belt, pressure Skarmory.

smeargle.gif

Smeargle @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Own Tempo  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Sticky Web  
- Taunt  
- Spore  
- Parting Shot

I tried both Espeon and Mega Sableye for some anti phazing utility, but on this team they just fell flat. So I thought, why not try adding another layer of annoyance here instead? Smeargle here is very standard. Spore to put something to sleep, Sticky Web to slow things down, Taunt to prevent any defogger that thinks that they can just get rid of Sticky Web (or hazard setter that is either immune to spore, of if something is already asleep), and finally Parting Shot to let something else get in safely. This also adds a layer of trickery to Landorus-T, as unless all four of its moves are revealed, basically everyone thinks that this has Stealth Rock instead.

Threats to this team include: Zard Y. Can't really switch into it without mind games, but Scolipede can always stall out the sun should it be at full health, and then Baton Pass to Manaphy to cause quite a bit of trouble. Nihilego can be a problem if it manages to snowball, as no rock resists. Phazers aren't as big of an issue here as before, since Smeargle can generally be a nuisance to them. Now there isn't hazard removal here, which probably seems crazy (and probably is tbh), but the team doesn't really mind Stealth Rock or a layer or two of Spikes, and while Sticky Web can be problematic, I have sticky web of my own, two Pokemon that don't really mind it (Tapu Bulu is slow as hell anyways, and Landorus-T is flying), and finally a speed booster which outspeeds a majority of the non scarfed tier at +0. I guess I could add Rapid Spin over like, Spore on Smeargle or something if you guys think it's super important.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-502937798

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-502910580

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-503320388

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-503399203

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-503402795

Critique is very appreciated. If you try this team and you like it, let me know.

Importable:

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Energy Ball  
- Tail Glow  

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Speed Boost  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Substitute  
- Protect  
- Poison Jab  
- Baton Pass  

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Stealth Rock  
- Swords Dance  

Manaphy @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Hydration  
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 172 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Surf  
- Energy Ball  
- Ice Beam  
- Tail Glow

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers  
Ability: Grassy Surge  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Horn Leech  
- Superpower  
- Stone Edge  
- Bulk Up  

Smeargle @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Own Tempo  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Sticky Web  
- Taunt  
- Spore  
- Parting Shot  

Edited by Personthing

That's a weird team if I may say so.

For starters, reduce Mana's speed to some weird benchmark it should hit at +X and give the rest to bulk with Sitrus. Standard BP set. Also, for a baton pass team, you lack a magic *cough Espeon* bouncer on your team, making it susceptible to any kind of phazers. It half looks like a BP team and half like some bulky voltturn offense with a Scolipede on it. So maybe try to work around BP's deficiencies by using the team either way: if you see the kind of terrifying wallbreaker that won't give you a sub and will screw your bp recepient, use Mew and Rotom to spread status and wear things down, get momentum and send Scoli in whenever the time is right.

Can't Xurk run some better coverage than HP Ice + EBall? 

For Scoli, Black Sludge over Lefties in the weird case it gets tricked, and also consider Endeavor or female with Attract (yes, it's a set!) over Poison Jab.

Or maybe run SD /  NP Mew as another BP recipient, hehehe

Also bro, add the full importable in the end :P

Edited by Odybld

16 minutes ago, Odybld said:

That's a weird team if I may say so.

For starters, reduce Mana's speed to some weird benchmark it should hit at +X and give the rest to bulk with Sitrus. Standard BP set. Also, for a baton pass team, you lack a magic *cough Espeon* bouncer on your team, making it susceptible to any kind of phazers. It half looks like a BP team and half like some bulky voltturn offense with a Scolipede on it. So maybe try to work around BP's deficiencies by using the team either way: if you see the kind of terrifying wallbreaker that won't give you a sub and will screw your bp recepient, use Mew and Rotom to spread status and wear things down, get momentum and send Scoli in whenever the time is right.

Can't Xurk run some better coverage than HP Ice + EBall? 

For Scoli, Black Sludge over Lefties in the weird case it gets tricked, and also consider Endeavor or female with Attract (yes, it's a set!) over Poison Jab.

Or maybe run SD /  NP Mew as another BP recipient, hehehe

Also bro, add the full importable in the end :P

Will make those changes, what would you swap out for Espeon? Mew, Rotom-W, or I guess landorus-T?

Xurk's coverage options are basically Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, HP or whatever type sadly. I also kinda like Energy Ball specifically for Unaware Quagsire, which makes the stall match up easier.

Edited by Personthing

9 minutes ago, Odybld said:

So, why not run Gleam for Dragons and HP Water to smack AloWak and Exca? 

It loses out on important OHKOs at 0 (Landorus-T) and needs to be at +3 to OHKO the likes of Zygarde. Forces use of Gigavolt Havoc on Bulu to OHKO at +3 (admittedly, if rocks are up +3 dazzling gleam can do it too, so I could swap that) when I could otherwise save it for say Tyranitar or Chansey, and without Energy ball it loses to Quagsire. They still are good options (I ran HP water for a good while), but it just allows for easier clean up.

Edited by Personthing

Ok then, that's more than fair. More little things: Why not Lefties or a damage reducing Berry on Lando, considering you pass subs left and right? Lando wouldn't try to fight the usual WoW spreaders anyway. And if you still want Poison Jab Scoli do deal with the tapus, just run Adamant, it outspeeds +1 Lelelelelelele

What does this Mana spread outspeed, and at how many boosts?

I still wonder how the team would be with the full eighteen silver spoons of poison per serving, aka setupper over the current Mew and defensive Espeon with CM over Rotom. Just for the full package of the wild BP ride.

@Personthing I edited this. Scarf Duggy exists as a speed tier? Is that even a thing? :P Heatah Fajita? :P

Edited by Odybld

8 minutes ago, Odybld said:

Ok then, that's more than fair. More little things: Why not Lefties or a damage reducing Berry on Lando, considering you pass subs left and right? Lando wouldn't try to fight the usual WoW spreaders anyway. And if you still want Poison Jab Scoli do deal with the tapus, just run Adamant, it outspeeds +1 Lelelelelelele

What does this Mana spread outspeed, and at how many boosts?

I still wonder how the team would be with the full eighteen silver spoons of poison per serving, aka setupper over the current Mew and defensive Espeon with CM over Rotom. Just for the full package of the wild BP ride.

Manaphy outspeeds up to Scarf Dugtrio with this set up at +2. Leftovers would probably do better there on Lando-t. Yeah, I've seen quite a few scarf dugtrios running around, they can be somewhat of a nuisance, but eh I guess I don't need that much speed. What would you recommend for the manaphy spread?

Will replace Rotom with Espeon (oh right, which HP would you think would work the best? Fire what I'm leaning too), and I guess I could try set up on Mew, what would you recommend on it?

Edited by Personthing

See above post about scarf Duggy. Since when is it a thing? :P Since you play BP, don't be afraid to make Manaphy THICC so you can pass easier

As for the last mon, well, it's BP. Literally any slower but strong wallbreaker or setupper works. Since Mana struggles with Bolt and Lando with Beam, use something that does ok with that combo and can come in well against Cube, MMeta, Bulu and Lele I guess, and other brutal hitters that threaten passing. Mega Meta, bulky (SD) ZardX, some Magnezone sets, a fat Mew set with SD or NP even... It's BP. You can run a lot of fun (for you, that is) things on BP. 

5 minutes ago, Odybld said:

See above post about scarf Duggy. Since when is it a thing? :P Since you play BP, don't be afraid to make Manaphy THICC so you can pass easier

As for the last mon, well, it's BP. Literally any slower but strong wallbreaker or setupper works. Since Mana struggles with Bolt and Lando with Beam, use something that does ok with that combo and can come in well against Cube, MMeta, Bulu and Lele I guess, and other brutal hitters that threaten passing. Mega Meta, bulky (SD) ZardX, some Magnezone sets, a fat Mew set with SD or NP even... It's BP. You can run a lot of fun (for you, that is) things on BP. 

Alright, thanks for the assitance. Gonna mess around to see what works best for that last slot.