Fan game/Hack situation

NatJones

With another C&D been issued for a hack that has been long in the works, I would love to hear peoples opinions on it all

I personally think that in the long run, it will hinder Nintendo and Game freak, due to the unrest it is causing between people who love the fan games and hacks, I am seeing more and more tweets rumbling against nintendo

People who create fangames and hacks are among the biggest fans of the franchise, so yeah I think Nintendo might do well to go easy with C&D. Pissing off your most dedicated fans isn't a very good move.

That being said, Nintendo's attitude is perfectly understandable. They're protecting their intellectual property. It's just a matter of business and what Nintendo thinks is best for it.

It's also interesting to note the creative minds working for Nintendo, like Masuda, are somewhat more chill with the use of their brainchild than corporate Nintendo is. Alas, these people don't get to decide what is to be done with hacks and fangames. Executives and lawyers do.

Edited by Alistair

I wouls say you have to tend this carefully. I mean there are certain advantages to gain from having a fan games with the additional communities. Free publicity, new ideas,  ... . However they have to make sure that the ones damaging their profit needs to be pruned out ASAP. So I don't think they need to forbid every fangame/hack but sometime it has to happen.

• Global Mods
5 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

which one got killed this time?

Pokemon Prism, although one tweet I read said it may have been fake according to "private chatter in the dev team". Not sure how valid that tweet is though, since it wouldn't be "private chatter" if that person outside the dev team knew about it. 

Another tweet I read from another developer of a game called Azurine said they think it happened because they tried to make Prism officially, although I'm not sure what officially means since I didn't follow Prism. 

b1f86460e53147e2a9afd37b6d8da2ed.png

• Global Mods
10 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Pokemon Prism, although one tweet I read said it may have been fake according to "private chatter in the dev team". Not sure how valid that tweet is though, since it wouldn't be "private chatter" if that person outside the dev team knew about it. 

Another tweet I read from another developer of a game called Azurine said they think it happened because they tried to make Prism officially, although I'm not sure what officially means since I didn't follow Prism. 

b1f86460e53147e2a9afd37b6d8da2ed.png

I think what Jingle Bellend is saying there about it "being made officially" is that he/she/xe thinks that nintendo/gamefreak/the pokemon company are making Pokemon Prism as a future official pokemon game. obviously this is just groundless speculation though.

• Veterans

Even if it is the case that it gets taken down, do take in account that the developers took a great risk with the game in the first place, as it's a ROM hack, and the fact that it's a ROM in the first place is already illegal, not to mention that it's a hack. It's simply a legal matter, and while fangames are in a very grey area, ROM hacks are actually in a much more dark zone.

It's a risk everyone person who decides to make a fangame or fan hack has to accept that they're taking it, and if it happens then it shouldn't be all too surprising. It's understandable that fans and supporters of a fangame would get upset about it, but generally speaking it's just something that can't absolutely be avoided unless the person who makes the fangames holds some kind of copyright over the brand that they're working with. In this case, none of the people who have fangames have some rights over the copyright of Pokémon, and that's where that risk comes in play again.

I do get the position, in regards to copyright and such, but I take a step back and look at it a simpler sense, as in if the devs aren't planning on selling the project they are working on, or if it doesn't step on toes regarding names etc. then I think they should leave them alone, nobody is getting hurt, I mean there has been a few times when my fiancé has overtaken me in a game and I considered hurt haha, but on a more serious note I do think that a step back is needed and to take look at things

13 minutes ago, NatJones said:

I do get the position, in regards to copyright and such, but I take a step back and look at it a simpler sense, as in if the devs aren't planning on selling the project they are working on, or if it doesn't step on toes regarding names etc. then I think they should leave them alone, nobody is getting hurt, I mean there has been a few times when my fiancé has overtaken me in a game and I considered hurt haha, but on a more serious note I do think that a step back is needed and to take look at things

I totally agree with you Nat, but the thing is, corporate Nintendo typically doesn't take a step back. They behave as businessmen: they see something that can potentially hurt their economic interests, they take action, and that's it. People not trying to get a monetary benefit out of the fangames is not the issue. Corporate Nintendo sees fangames as something that could give their official products illegal competiton, thus make them lose the opportunity to sell more copies and make more money.

And they're not completely wrong. For instance my consumption of canon games did drop dramatically since I've discovered Reborn.

Nintendo behaving the way they do is saddening, but for now it can't really be helped.

31 minutes ago, Alistair said:

I totally agree with you Nat, but the thing is, corporate Nintendo typically doesn't take a step back. They behave as businessmen: they see something that can potentially hurt their economic interests, they take action, and that's it. People not trying to get a monetary benefit out of the fangames is not the issue. Corporate Nintendo sees fangames as something that could give their official products illegal competiton, thus make them lose the opportunity to sell more copies and make more money.

And they're not completely wrong. For instance my consumption of canon games did drop dramatically since I've discovered Reborn.

Nintendo behaving the way they do is saddening, but for now it can't really be helped.

I tend to play reborn during the day, and then the canon games when I climb into bed, I have read a few posts on various forums however, stating that fan games and hacks encouraged them to purchase a 2 or 3DS and the newer canon games, its swings and roundabouts really isn't it

50 minutes ago, NatJones said:

I tend to play reborn during the day, and then the canon games when I climb into bed, I have read a few posts on various forums however, stating that fan games and hacks encouraged them to purchase a 2 or 3DS and the newer canon games, its swings and roundabouts really isn't it

Guess it depends on the people yeah. Canon games seem a bit dull to me now.

11 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Guess it depends on the people yeah. Canon games seem a bit dull to me now.

I feel the same way about the canon games. I feel after BW1 and BW2, gen 6, which it was mostly Pokémon X and Y felt very dull with both its story and difficulty compared to the gen 5 games to where the final fights against Ghetsis in BW1 and against Iris in BW2 still had a sense of a challenge to them and it had a pretty good story in the game. So when I started playing Pokémon Reborn it felt really refreashing to play a Pokémon game that took a lot of thinking to beat certain fights, and by certain fights I mean all of them lol. But seriously, Ghetsis and his Hydreigon from BW1 can go and jump in a black hole for all I care, that fight took about ten tries to beat on my first run in the game -_-

2 minutes ago, Frozenwolf94 said:

I feel the same way about the canon games. I feel after BW1 and BW2, gen 6, which it was mostly Pokémon X and Y felt very dull with both its story and difficulty compared to the gen 5 games to where the final fights against Ghetsis in BW1 and against Iris in BW2 still had a sense of a challenge to them and it had a pretty good story in the game. So when I started playing Pokémon Reborn it felt really refreashing to play a Pokémon game that took a lot of thinking to beat certain fights, and by certain fights I mean all of them lol. But seriously, Ghetsis and his Hydreigon from BW1 can go and jump in a black hole for all I care, that fight took about ten tries to beat on my first run in the game -_-

Nah man, Florina trumps Ghetsis any day.

It seems to me that only games that get utterly massive get hit with a C&D... Prism had 1.5 million views on its trailer.

Before this, Uranium had 1.5 million download and eclipsed sun and moon (no pun intended) in search traffic on Google.

Essentially, as long as a fan game doesn't blow up and get huge, it seems to survive... not even Insurgence or ZO, or any other of the massive rom hacks -- like glazed and light platinum -- got hit. It seems they're only worried about fangames getting too big, at least for the time being, and not all fangames.

Also hell, even Uranium is still in development. The original devs left but a subreddit has picked it back up and maintaining it, and doing a pretty damn good job by the looks of it.

Even if Nintendo does try to come down hard on all fan games, which I doubt they will, they won't outright disappear. People will still develop them. 

Only extremely large fan games are in any danger if current trends hold true.

9 minutes ago, Felix- said:

By the time Reborn is done, some of us will have gone to law school or amassed a fortune. I'm sure we can deal with nintendoarrow-10x10.png by then.

Since law school is out of the running for me, and whatever cash I have goes on spoiling my kids, may I offer the service of my hooligan 1 year old as bodyguard? aha

About Prism: As crappy as this is, they were asking for it. Should have never dropped that trailer, especially with a set release date, which let Nintendo screw them like this. They should have been quiet about it, or, once they saw how much attention the trailer got, they should have released it immediately.

Yeah I agree with Person.

These sorts of things are clearly frowned upon by Nintendo so why flash them the goods?

Thats like online pirates saying aloud "Hey guys we're pirating all this stuff come check it out." Of course they're going to get shut down.

Edited by 5hift

I'm thinking that might have something to do with it too. Uranium and Prism both had trailers for final releases, were talked about by major-ish gaming sites, set in stone release dates, and lots of PR. I don't think Nintendo's lawyers are particularly interested in fans who, say, seek out games (like Relic Castle games for example) but it seems like if it's being announced publicly and might draw in fans who weren't looking for fangames, then they might draw their line.

Not a lawyer, just seems like a pattern.

7 hours ago, BIGJRA said:

I'm thinking that might have something to do with it too. Uranium and Prism both had trailers for final releases, were talked about by major-ish gaming sites, set in stone release dates, and lots of PR. I don't think Nintendo's lawyers are particularly interested in fans who, say, seek out games (like Relic Castle games for example) but it seems like if it's being announced publicly and might draw in fans who weren't looking for fangames, then they might draw their line.

You make a great point, Nintendo only really seems to care when the fan games intrude on the canon games "feeding grounds".

7 hours ago, BIGJRA said:

So I guess the moral of the story is that if your making a fan game, keep it on the down low and don't advertise it with trailers and such