Why are gym leaders so hard in this game

Rainlove

It's not even enjoyable anymore! I'm stuck with Shelly because of her impossible to out-speed Pokemons. She sets up rain dance first no matter how fast my Pokemons are. I literally spent the entire day leveling all my Pokemons to LV 34 (Growlithe, Braxien, Unfezant, Frillish, Victrebell and Pelipper) Braxien is like 28 in speed when it comes to IVs and still cannot outspeed that stupid Illumise.

Edited by Rainlove

5 minutes ago, Rainlove said:

It's not even enjoyable anymore! I'm stuck with Shelly because of her impossible to out-speed Pokemons. She sets up rain dance first no matter how fast my Pokemons are. I literally spent the entire day leveling all my Pokemons to LV 34 (Growlithe, Braxien, Unfezant, Frillish, Victrebell and Pelipper) Braxien is like 28 in speed when it comes to IVs and still cannot outspeed that stupid Illumise.

Illumise has Prankster, so its status moves get +1 priority.

Aww...I wish this topic came out next month. Then I could cross it off the list for next year as well. No really, this topic pops up every single year. I will not make any claims in the difficulty though I will say Reborn Hardcore is a thing for a reason.

First off, you would've known she uses Prankster Illumise to set up rain dance on the first turn as the gym phone is there with Ame to tell you that and give you advice. And you think this is bad, let's just say I may have designed a harder version of her so hard that it had to be axed. You should probably figure out what is going on with your team and where you're struggling as sometimes it is a trial and error because grinding is a pain (I was always 5-6 levels below the leaders and about 12 for Luna).

Shelly's mons are half fast and half decent speed with Wormadam being one of her least threatening. Taking out the threats (Masquerain and Anorith) will reduces the difficulty a little bit as Illumise honestly is like zero threat other than spamming confuse ray. It can't even heal. Leave the not threatening mon/side along and gang up on the other mon as once all the dangerous ones are done, Volbeat is a complete joke. Even with a Tail Glow, it's damage output is sad.

Your team is also on the weak side so if it's an issue, you may want to drop and grind up some other mons (maybe even evolve Braxien into Delphox) as Shelly is designed to shoot down Special attackers with Rain making fire types not too viable until after 8 turns. 

24 minutes ago, Commander said:

Aww...I wish this topic came out next month. Then I could cross it off the list for next year as well. No really, this topic pops up every single year. I will not make any claims in the difficulty though I will say Reborn Hardcore is a thing for a reason.

First off, you would've known she uses Prankster Illumise to set up rain dance on the first turn as the gym phone is there with Ame to tell you that and give you advice. And you think this is bad, let's just say I may have designed a harder version of her so hard that it had to be axed. You should probably figure out what is going on with your team and where you're struggling as sometimes it is a trial and error because grinding is a pain (I was always 5-6 levels below the leaders and about 12 for Luna).

Shelly's mons are half fast and half decent speed with Wormadam being one of her least threatening. Taking out the threats (Masquerain and Anorith) will reduces the difficulty a little bit as Illumise honestly is like zero threat other than spamming confuse ray. It can't even heal. Leave the not threatening mon/side along and gang up on the other mon as once all the dangerous ones are done, Volbeat is a complete joke. Even with a Tail Glow, it's damage output is sad.

Your team is also on the weak side so if it's an issue, you may want to drop and grind up some other mons (maybe even evolve Braxien into Delphox) as Shelly is designed to shoot down Special attackers with Rain making fire types not too viable until after 8 turns. 

is there a harder version of shelly, we should be able to battle that one post game and others leaders too *-* (heavy breathing)

Sorry forgot to mention it has to do with the mod hardcore (still working on updating that behemoth as we speak). But on a different note for when Reborn is completed, leaders will be using the X teams they used on the actual league (since these guys are based on a league where people played the roles of these leaders).

The answer is simple.
The Gym Leaders in the standard games are super boring because they are so easy to beat. This game forces you to think about your actions and which combinations would be best to deal with them through trial and error. 
An example of this was vs Corey, if you have someone with Flame Burst you can insta-faint one of his Pokemon, so if you have 2 Pokemon by the time you reach his last one you can just jihad it with Flame Burst 1-shotting it while sacrificing the Pokemon that used it.

Because this is Reborn, people! Ame even said strong trainers flocking in Reborn, so you expect the Gyms are easy walk ? Ready to get rekt ~

P/s: My friend who introduced my to Reborn quit the game not finishing even Julia. It would have quit too if I don't play my mons well.

Uhh, then I guess I did something wrong if I stormed through Shelly with Braixen + Arcanine with ease. On every playthrough this gym was one of the easiest for me. And similiar way of fight with Noel and Charlotte, Flash Fire Houndoom performs miracles. I like fire teams, generally I find fire type favoured in Reborn.

Just try different TMs, different mons, maybe even train one from a scratch, I`ve struggled with E16 leader few times, then I adapted my team just a little bit to his field and I beat him with 3 mons. In Reborn brute force wont work in most of the times, and type coverage is treacherous, leaders got their weaknesses covered.

The fact that Reborn is more difficult than the main games makes it an interesting choice for many gamers. Prior to some of the recent episodes, some leaders were extremely difficult not including the hardcore mod. With the league based on the actual league that existed here, stronger teams are to be expected.

I had fought Shelly before she became a doubles battle so I can't weigh in on what's good for her now. However, you need to look at the environment you are dealing with. You can't go in expecting to win with Pokemon that are all advantageous to the gym leader's type. The teams in Reborn are designed to test your skill as a trainer and be able to work out a fullproof battle strategy to overcome them. The field effects provide another angle of attack as well. Learn the gym leader's Pokemon and learn the field they use. Then you can formulate your own battle plan, train the necessary Pokemon, and execute it.

If grinding is too slow for you, you might want to try using CheatEngine to literally speed up the game. Reborn calls for a LOT of grinding, and you might have to catch different Pokemon to counter specific threats on her team. But above all, make sure you're still having fun! Take a break and come back with a fresh mind so you can come up with a better strategy :P

1 minute ago, TU84 said:

If grinding is too slow for you, you might want to try using CheatEngine to literally speed up the game. Reborn calls for a LOT of grinding, and you might have to catch different Pokemon to counter specific threats on her team. But above all, make sure you're still having fun! Take a break and come back with a fresh mind so you can come up with a better strategy :P

Ahem. There is no need to resort to that:

Spoiler

As of E16, there is a 3x speed mode implemented into the game, toggled on and off by the alt key

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, TU84 said:

In addition to what someone said about being able to speed up the game as of E16 with the alt button, using CheatEngine isn't recommended and can cause issues with the game/save file.

47 minutes ago, Eagleby18 said:

this guy

The OP's gender is set to female. 

56 minutes ago, Eagleby18 said:

I always wonder what the stories behind these threads are.  Reborn's like Dark Souls, in that it's characterized and known for its difficulty.  I wonder how people like this guy come across the game without hearing about that.

It must've been so hard on you to read my threat. I'm a girl not a guy *rolls her eyes* there is something called "ignoring something we don't like" I highly recommend you try that out.

Well, most people who played Reborn are the ones that bored with main game lack of challenge. Those who aren't familiar with Pokemon game may think this game is easy and finally get rekt by Julia. Even I was pushed to the limit of quitting after losing to Julia many times even when I grinded my mons near the level cap, but still losing. And that's only the first gym. The challenge of this game (aside from field effect with insane buffs) is the Leaders got their team typing covered. I assume even their mons has perfect IVs with EVs based on Showdown Meta. I get rekt by Shelly because not expecting that Masquerain has Hydro Pump plus decent speed, it OHKO my Arcanine. Plus Yanmega with Speed Boost and Ancient Power.

Its actually not that hard at all. The doubles battles in this game can be pretty tough so I understand Shelly, but you are talking about the bug type man. 

If you are having trouble with this game in such a way you may not want to continue. 
Its difficulty is well balanced and a lot of fun if you are interested in the PVE elements of Pokemon. 

Reborn's difficulty is both why it pushes me away and why I keep coming back. Shelly in particular is an interesting fight to me because she uses pokemon that are, by the standards of most games, too weak to pose any threat, and then makes them terrifying.

Also, it's possible to just get lucky here (or it was in e15). I've gotten my fire spam past illumise because it simply failed to use Rain Dance. 

They're not hard, you just have to Git Gud.

(But seriously, the difficulty is one of the points of Reborn. As Commander said, be glad you're not playing (his) Hardcore version. Also there are a bunch of Flying-types you could get and you could get onix which learns Stealth Rock, crippling (especially) her (stronger mons) on the switch)

I dont think they're particularly hard, just gimmicky. Everything is set up in their favor (acceptable, it's their gym and field effects can be made to work both ways), they have all the correct held items (less acceptable since you dont get access to them, but fair enough), all the egg moves, stats and TMs (another tier less acceptable since some of it is physically impossible for even the player).

But what is the most asinine is the RNG. You start getting crit, 5 turn confuses on your end, barely 1 turn on theirs. Quite a few of my gym battles are just trial and error. First turn sleep or confuse move misses even with compound eyes, reload. Getting crit at pretty much any stage, reload. Your pokemon went 5 experience over the limit and suddenly refuses to do stuff 9 out of 10 times, reload.