STRAWPOLL Which Pokemon Generation is your favorite?

Dypatome

So, my friends and I are having an argument about which Pokemon Generation is most liked by the community overall. We've been talking about it for a while now, and we figure that the best way to figure it out would be to make a strawpoll and get as many people to vote as possible. Would you mind helping us out? 

Vote here:

Also, be sure to leave in the comments which generation is your favorite, and why!

I'll start:

My favorite generation is the original gen 3; just Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. While many people initially hated these games due to the lack of an ability to transfer pokemon over from the previous two generations, I found it enjoyable to only be able to play with the Pokemon that you're able to catch within the game. (Unless you have a friend who played it and had a Link Cable, but who had a Link Cable anyway?) I liked the uniqueness of the region and the especially liked the fact that there was a gym that included a double battle, which still has yet to happen in any other Pokemon game.

I dunno about putting remakes in the same slot as the originals, because now everyone who votes for gen 3 also votes for the remakes that had the gall to remove the best parts because "hurr durr it's too hard and would make the little babies cry".  Those games are one of many reasons the 6th gen was the worst.

so, about a week ago, I would've voted 4, because it invented the physical/special split and that was so great for so many mons.

but now that I've played sun and moon, I can't reccomend any other game over it. I love every character*, I love every line, everything feels so good and so clean, the game uses tropes insead of being ruled by them, the affection mechanic feels so anime--heck, the whole damn game feels like an anime, and a better one than most pokeani seasons, to boot! Hau and Gladion are excellent foils and rivals, with each having their own moment to shine. Honestly, I expected to dislike Hau because he was gonna just be dopy and cheerful all the time. but instead he's serious when he needs to be, and he even manages to get in a few good hits of his own--even on you, if you didn't bring a dark-type to the aether paradise. Even the memes are on point! I mean let's be honest here: Alolan Exeggutor is a forced encounter on an island specifically named for it, there's no way Gamefreak didn't specifically design that pokemon to be a meme. 

frankly I could gush about this game for longer but...then I wouldn't be playing it! Like my god! I've never, ever loved a pokemon game this much. 

personal favorite scenes: Lusamine's kids going :/D (no. bad emoji.) at Z-Move poses and Faba Gets Owned by Hau

*except alolan dugtrio. f that. its old form was ugly, its new form is uglier, it doesn't deserve to be a steel type.

18 minutes ago, Viridescent 2.0 said:

I WAS SUMMONED

GEN4 MASTER RACE 

BEST META BEST MECHANICS BEST MONS BEST EVERYTHING

GEN4 BROUGHT US POKÉMON GOD 

PRAISE MAGNEZONE

You don't even know what you're saying. Don't make me bring back the full list rant. It's not in anyone's best interest. Not even mine.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

You don't even know what you're saying. Don't make me bring back the full list rant. It's not in anyone's best interest. Not even mine.

Unless I'm quite obviously talking in jest. If you don't find me funny, or for whatever reason have a different view, that's absolutely cool, just ignore and move on. Let's not make this place unpleasant or combative in any way. I am certainly not interested in having a rant here, and will likewise not want to 'make you' do any such thing.

Gen 2 for life. Because nostalgia factor (gen 2 games basically made my childhood), obvious bias, introduction of the steel and dark types, and I actually liked the gen 1+2 meta. 

Edit: darnit, the link to the strawpoll doesn't work on my smartphone :( 

Edited by Alistair

For me it has to be gen 4 for a couple of reasons. One was the attack and sp. attack, enough said on this reason lol. Second I love all the designs of the gen 4 Pokémon and I think a good portion of my favorite Pokémon are from gen 4; like Froslass, Gallade, Infernape, and Garchomp to name a few. And I love the story in the gen 4 games and especially Platinum where you basically fight and catch the Gods of Pokémon, and Team Galactic had some of pretty interesting members like the admins and Cyrus.   

Gen 5 was the pinnacle of the series for me. Note that I said was, because gen 7 is off to a very, VERY good start. However, we only have 1 game in it so it's still too early to judge the entire generation overall, and gen 5 does have an edge pokemon wise, so it's still as Fern would say, "top dog."

Gen 4 winning makes me happy as it's my second/third favorite, but I can't help but  feel like Hoennbabies are the majority of voters for this poll.

I would qualify as a Genwunner.

1. BW

2. SuMo

3. RSE

4. GSC

5. RBY

6. XY

DNQ. DPPt

- BW broke the mold storywise, and the experience was excellent enough to bring me back to the franchise. It's got my nostalgia vote.

- Gens 1 and 2 haven't aged well in my eyes. Specifically so with Gen 1.

- In terms of playtime, ORAS and Ruby dominates. I completed the National Dex in Gen III and it took a lot of work and a team effort with my friends. I can't slight this gen.

- Sun and Moon are the new kids on the block. Great games, but the high may still be in effect.

- XY felt rushed and handholdy, while also potentially providing powercreep. Negative views here.

- Wait. There was a Gen 4?

For me, best to worst:

DPPt > BW > GSC > SunMoon > RSE > XY > RBY

1. DPPt scores a win for me particularly in Platinum (which amended a lot of issues with DP) because of its featured villains and lores of the legendaries despite the lag issue, the wholesomeness of the three starters are also saving graces for me, Cynthia and Cyrus are both my favourite characters of Pokémon franchise, Sinnoh Underground was an interesting concept for fossil and evolutionary stone hunts.

2. BW has inarguably strong plots, introduction of interesting and charismatic characters such as N and Colress are pluses for me and pokemon introduced in gen 5 are still relevant even in current meta

3. The continuity between two regions started here. I also love the different means of transportations between two regions (transit train, S.S Aqua and your own flying pokemon)

4. A region with league in its early stage without a champion and kahunas in place of gym leaders definitely injects new life into pokemon franchise, it opens a whole lots of possibilities for the future of pokemon franchise

5. Gotta love Battle Frontiers and Steven

6. The few things I like about XY are the Pokémon Amie and mega evolutions

7. RBY fell flat when every gens after them had much more to offer, I really don't get first gen genwunners