Cat Chat Blogs: Memeology - Not Sure Fry

Miss Kitty

Memeology - Not Sure Fry

Welcome back to Cat Chat Blogs! Over the next several weeks (maybe months), I aim to study memes and their various meanings. I do this because I had a realization today that I'm not as hip with today's memes like you young whippersnappers. I admit that I'm older than ancient. But that's okay! Today, memeology is determined to explore the popular meme, Not Sure Fry. I took a minute to explore some of the most popular memes on the internet, and some research suggests that Not Sure Fry is 2nd on the list of the most popular memes as of now. If you are unaware of this meme, below is the image of Fry from Futurama that is used for Not Sure Fry.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

(Not sure if Cat Chat Blogs stole ideas from Cracked or if it's original)

This meme certainly does inquire on whether we're sure of the thoughts we have or not. For example, take jars that have peanut butter and jelly mixed in. We can't be sure if there's more peanut butter or more jelly. We can't even be sure if it's even real peanut butter and jelly. But like Fry, we trust that it is indeed peanut butter and jelly. And we also hope that we can get an even spread of the stuff on our bread that crumbles as we try to apply it. I'm not even sure if we're supposed to apply peanut butter first and then jelly. Is there even a proper way of doing this?!

Not Sure Fry tends to appeal to stoner millennials who just aren't sure of a lot of things in life. This meme attempts to help them through their struggles by providing at least two options: option 1 and option 2. I am starting to believe that this is a meme that informs people of their beliefs, whether they recognize it or not. One is faced with two options, such as "Is this person trolling or are they just goofing around?" Depending on experience that person has with the person in question, people will opt for one of two answers. If the person is not very well known and is making troll-like statements, people may go with option 1, that this person is just a troll. If the person is well-known and loved, people may go for option 2, but may still think that person is a troll. Who trolls their own friends, really? Me. I troll my most favorite people.

3gpc.jpg?1307465176

(This one requires some thought. One moment...)

On the other hand, Not Sure Fry also tends to draw in those who have questions, or thoughts?, that need more complex thinking. The answer for these questions/thoughts doesn't necessarily shine through in our two options. For many, it takes a few minutes to really pinpoint the emotions of the situation to really come to an answer. Like the popular meme, Philosoraptor, Not Sure Fry invites those who can withstand it the opportunity to think critically, but on a more watered-down basis. Not Sure Fry doesn't tend to generate questions/thoughts that require God-like thinking, it's more like first-world-like problems that many people face at least a few times in their life. For example; not sure if tired or needs more coffee. This simple question/thought allows for people to debate on whether or not they should just go to bed, or if they should drink more coffee to stay awake. Then, people weigh the decision on whether or not if what they're doing (or plan to do) is more important than sleep. Most people tend to go for coffee, because we just love that shit. We can sleep when we're dead.

Overall, Not Sure Fry swept the internet around 2010, generating thousands of different memes of this variation. Despite being around for so long, it is still one of the most popular memes to use on the internet. Generally, most memes tend to come and go, but Not Sure Fry was able to beat out a lot of the competition. On top of that, Fry is a very memorable, not-so-bright character from the popular Fox TV show, Futurama. This humorous, simple-minded meme is likely to stay in favor of the internet for a few more years to come.

gclun7.jpg

(We'll encourage it. For now.)

Thanks for reading!

Click the favorite button to get more from Cat Chat Blogs! Leave a comment below for a topic you're interested in me covering!

All images were retrieved from Google Images. Google is such good.

That yungoos/trump thing, or better yet the whole ma boi guzma meme, I could never really understand those myself; also good job with the article; this seems like something a newspaper might have to appeal to those funny old people who try to keep up with popular culture.