How do I make this? It seems beyond my ability.

Tristram

I've wanted to make a Pokemon fangame for as long as I can remember. However, despite all the ideas I've cultivated over the years, I can't do it. It's impossible. I don't know how to script. I don't know how to make tilesets. There is no easy way to do it, and no guide has ever effectively explained how to do anything. Where do I start, what are the necessary programs? I am told something different every time.

I believe, being an artist and occasional writer, I have pretty good ideas and designs for such a venture, but I am alone and unable, for I lack the skills necessary to achieve this small dream of mine. What do I do guys? Where do I go from here, if I can go forward at all?

• Administrators

Really sorry timing that the site went down like right after you posted this... but uh, listen.

You don't know how to sprite, you don't know how to code, and you're not going to learn if you avoid doing them because of that. 
I was not born good at spriting. I got better at it because when I was 10 I wanted to make games and so, not knowing a thing about it, I just went ahead and did the best my little ten year old self could do anyway. It was bad-- but more importantly, it was a start. And so eventually it became not bad. 

I think game projects are actually especially good for learning those things because they give you no shortage of end goals to work towards. Whether or not you finish the project and whether or not it's good, if you keep working on it then you're going to get better.

And if you don't, then you won't. It is not easy, but it also not impossible. 
So throw caution to the wind and make that choice for yourself, hon.

As for programs, the reason you're told different things is because some of it is up to personal preference.
My preferences:
RMXP + Pokemon Essentials (non-negotiable), Graphics Gale (spriting), Notepad++ (notes/organization/clean scripts), Goldwave (sound editing), Fruityloops (music)
boom, done. 

On 12/2/2016 at 7:00 PM, Amethyst said:

Really sorry timing that the site went down like right after you posted this... but uh, listen.

You don't know how to sprite, you don't know how to code, and you're not going to learn if you avoid doing them because of that. 
I was not born good at spriting. I got better at it because when I was 10 I wanted to make games and so, not knowing a thing about it, I just went ahead and did the best my little ten year old self could do anyway. It was bad-- but more importantly, it was a start. And so eventually it became not bad. 

I think game projects are actually especially good for learning those things because they give you no shortage of end goals to work towards. Whether or not you finish the project and whether or not it's good, if you keep working on it then you're going to get better.

And if you don't, then you won't. It is not easy, but it also not impossible. 
So throw caution to the wind and make that choice for yourself, hon.

As for programs, the reason you're told different things is because some of it is up to personal preference.
My preferences:
RMXP + Pokemon Essentials (non-negotiable), Graphics Gale (spriting), Notepad++ (notes/organization/clean scripts), Goldwave (sound editing), Fruityloops (music)
boom, done. 

Is there a good place to find these programs? Also, I've been told that doing these alone is not the smartest option.

I have sprited a little in the past. Here's some examples.

Hexeon.PNGPOKE016.PNG

3 minutes ago, Tristram said:

Is there a good place to find these programs? Also, I've been told that doing these alone is not the smartest option.

I have sprited a little in the past. Here's some examples.

Hexeon.PNGPOKE016.PNG

RMXP is on Steam. Wait for Sales if you want or buy it for 25 dollars, Essentials is free on the Essentials wiki, Graphicsgale is free online, notepad++ is also free. I don't know about the other programs since I never use them so sorry I can't help more. 

You just have to look around to find the resources but they are out there for sure. :)

I wish you good luck and I know the exact same feeling of not knowing most of the game development when you start. I was the same way but I learned some spriting, mapping over the course of my game designing and now I'm a much more knowledgeable game creator but also you don't have to do it alone. If you run into trouble and need some occasional help, I'm sure the very nice and helpful people here in Reborn will be glad to help you out like they did for me. :) Disclaimer: I do have a team because I polished my idea and made it appealing for potential team members so maybe consider doing the same and you might find some people willing to join you in making your game. Don't sell yourself short like Ame was saying above just because you don't know how to make a game all by yourself and really you just have to be willing to learn over time like I am so I can be more than just the manager/story person of the team for my game. 

BTW that purple sprite is so good imo but I'm not the best at spriting and are more the idea/story kind of guy. 

1 minute ago, pbood2 said:

RMXP is on Steam. Wait for Sales if you want or buy it for 25 dollars, Essentials is free on the Essentials wiki, Graphicsgale is free online, notepad++ is also free. I don't know about the other programs since I never use them so sorry I can't help more. 

You just have to look around to find the resources but they are out there for sure. :)

I wish you good luck and I know the exact same feeling of not knowing most of the game development when you start. I was the same way but I learned some spriting, mapping over the course of my game designing and now I'm a much more knowledgeable game creator but also you don't have to do it alone. If you run into trouble and need some occasional help, I'm sure the very nice and helpful people here in Reborn will be glad to help you out like they did for me. :) Disclaimer: I do have a team because I polished my idea and made it appealing for potential team members so maybe consider doing the same and you might find some people willing to join you in making your game. Don't sell yourself short like Ame was saying above just because you don't know how to make a game all by yourself and really you just have to be willing to learn over time like I am so I can be more than just the manager/story person of the team for my game. 

BTW that purple sprite is so good imo but I'm not the best at spriting and are more the idea/story kind of guy. 

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I've been trying for years, but never seemed to get it. I'll try harder now. 

I guess people aren't editing ROMS anymore? That's what I've always done.

Just now, Tristram said:

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I've been trying for years, but never seemed to get it. I'll try harder now. 

I guess people aren't editing ROMS anymore? That's what I've always done.

No problem. Trust me when I say I have had moments of unclearness/doubt during making the game and despite it's 3 month hiatus so far due to the team being busy, it's worth it to push through and try to continue forward. I'm also not letting the game die because it's been a year so far of development. 

I mean you can edit a rom if you really want to. That gives you some experience with spriting, scripting, mapping, other game aspects that you could then use to perfect your own pokemon fangame. I don't know how you would edit a rom though so sorry about that. I'm doing my own game from scratch using RMXP and Essentials over time with my small team. 

2 minutes ago, pbood2 said:

No problem. Trust me when I say I have had moments of unclearness/doubt during making the game and despite it's 3 month hiatus so far due to the team being busy, it's worth it to push through and try to continue forward. I'm also not letting the game die because it's been a year so far of development. 

I mean you can edit a rom if you really want to. That gives you some experience with spriting, scripting, mapping, other game aspects that you could then use to perfect your own pokemon fangame. I don't know how you would edit a rom though so sorry about that. I'm doing my own game from scratch using RMXP and Essentials over time with my small team. 

Ah. It'll probably be a while for me, not having money for RMXP and all.

IMO editing roms is harder than making the game with RPG maker. Other thing about roms is that there is a limit on how much you can change.

But anyway if you decide to work on a game try to get some people who are willing to help you out because procjet like these require a lot of work and time.

Good luck o/