Pokemon Kaizo Reborn [Mod] [Poll Up]

Redo.

The vote of madness.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How hard do you want this mod to be?

• Just harder than Hardcore.
    • Kaizo in a true sence.
    • IMPOSIBBRU DEATH MODE.
  2. 2. Should I use legendaries?

• Don't even try to use them.
    • Just the non-Mythical ones.
    • Just the non-Uber ones.
    • Yay free legendaries.
  3. 3. How much should I use them?

• Didn't we just vote to don't use them?
    • Only in important battles, and don't repeat them.
    • Only in important battles, but you can repeat them if you want.
    • More fun for the people.
  4. 4. Free goodies?

• Cero.
    • Few.
    • As much as you want.

Masochism:

"Because pleasure can only be achieved in the form of PAIN"

Welcome ladies, gentlemen and non-binary people, I have just one small question to ask you all: Did you ever though that Reborn or even Reborn Hardcore was a bit too... easy?

That's why I'm here, to test your might or... masochism in a new way. But first, let's talk about some stuff.

The term Kaizo was first used in the now famous hack called Kaizo Mario World, the hack deliberately breaks many normal rules of "accepted" level design, such as placing invisible blocks where the player is likely to jump. This cruelty and the resulting frustration, as well as the skill level required, is both the purpose of the hacks and the appeal of any Let's Play videos made of them. Let's Play videos of Kaizo Mario World have received millions of views online. Will Kaizo Reborn have this kind of level curve desing or not, that depend on you.
And here's Ame aproval for this to exist (like, if you told me 'no', I could not even start this project).

Ame.png

Here is the link for the Beta 0.01 which is up to Julia, the full mod will be out once EP16 is out but for now this is to test where I believe the difficulty will be and let the general public post their ideas of what I need to change.

Now that the first part is out of the way, here's the rules I put on myself when I decided start this project:

• Even if not optimal, I will always respect the main pokémon of each important trainer, even if it's not an optimal pokémon (I could give Julia a better pokémon than Electrode, but my job now is to make Electrode good enough for Kaizo).
  • NO EDIT TO THE PLOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. This game is Reborn after all, and it should remain that to the core.
  • NO EDIT TO THE POKÉMON LOCATION. It's no fun if I start to give out OP pokémon on each gym, so yeah, the wild and event pokémon will be the same as on the last update of Reborn.
  • Maintain free goodies and map edits outside normal Reborn to a minimun. To make things easier to you I may or may not give stuff like Lucky Egg or a good grinding spot somewhere, but I will maintain that to a minimun if you decide to have them.
  • ALL MOVEPOOLS MUST BE LEGAL. MSalamence don't learn Extreme Speed, and it won't be learning it in Kaizo.
  • RESPECT THE LEVEL CAP MOSTLY. if Julia cap only goes to Lv20, she can't go that much higher than that, I may ignore this in the mid-late game, but in the early I'll totally respect this.

And here is the last part of this run, when I get your help and feedback so we, as a community, can make Kaizo Reborn a reality, and make it so everyone that wants to try it can get the best experience out of it possible, that's why I want to ask you some stuff through a poll. Here's everything in the poll explained in detail.

• HOW HARD DO YOU WANT KAIZO TO BE:​​
  1. Just harder than Hardcore: Commander's Hardcore is quite hard, going way over that level is probably a bit to much, don't abuse evolutions that early, and be kind with the EV's spread.
  2. Kaizo in a true sence: Make it as hard as possible while don't making it madness. Gym and important battles with good movepool pokémon and EV's, normal trainers... not so much.
  3. IMPOSIBBRU DEATH MODE: Ubers, full EV's, cheap sets, most if not everyone 6 pokémon and let my imagination run wild. Let the RNG be with you, or the softreset and ragequit will be.

• SHOULD I ABUSE LEGENDARIES:
  1. Don't even try to use them: No legendaries, not even the bad ones, they're unique pokémon that only the MC can catch.
  2. Just the non-Mythical legendaries: If it's allowed in the Battle Tower clone, use them.
  3. Just the non-Uber legendaries: If Smogon allows them, use them.
  4. Yay free legendaries: Let them control time, space and everything. Fun for the people.
  • HOW MUCH SHOULD I ABUSE LEGENDARIES:
  1. Didn't we just vote to don't use them?: Self explanatory.
  2. Only in important battles, and don't repeat them: There only exist one of them technically.
  3. Only in important battles, but you can repeat them if you want: Because we have like 7 Arceus in our PokéBank.
  4. More fun for the people: Joey with his top-percentage Rattata, and Arceus, and Geomancy Xerneas.
  • FREE GOODIES:
  1. Cero: Make it as true to normal Reborn as you could.
  2. Few: Lucky Egg, Exp. Share, a small thing here or there if you want but no more, make it like Hardcore on this point.
  3. As much as you want: If I have to fight competitive teams on each trainer I see, give me all the weapons you can give me.

Okay, that's pretty much everything for now. Also, I'm open for people to help me in the making of this, so if you want to give me ideas in sets, trainers and everything you can PM me and I will be in contact with you. Let's make this as painful as possible to everyone, oh, and thanks for reading!

Edited by Redo.

• Developers

In my opinion a good way to make a game significantly more difficult is to disallow usage of potions and similar items during battle and forcing battle-style set. That's why I asked for no-items mod in Hardcore and want to play that when E16 is out.

Your mod will likely use one of two options:

- leaving potions enabled and battle-style switchable like normal and balance the difficulity accordingly - in this case I won't play it because my rule is not to use potions and this mod will most likely be impossible to beat without them

- lock the battle-style to set and disallow potions just like Hardcore no-items mod does and make it "easy" enough to be beatable with these restrictions - if this is the case, count me in!

I think you should pick one or the other as this decition will greatly affect the overall difficulity and it's likely impossible to balance this mod for both.

Also one more thing. The main thing that's making regular Reborn too easy even with the competetive teams (not sure about Hardcore as I did not play it yet) is AI stupidity. If this mod will just use OP mons to outweight AI's messups I'm not sure if I can enjoy playing it. I think improving the AI might be a good start. You might want to talk to Commannder about this. I think he made some changes to the AI for Hardcore although probably nothing significant.

I'll watch this thread to see what you choose. I'll decide later whether or not to play it based on your decisions.

Anyway good luck!

Edited by baldr
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion a good way to make a game significantly more difficult is to disallow usage of potions and similar items during battle. That's why I asked for no-items mod in Hardcore and want to play that when E16 is out.

Your mod will likely use one of two options:

- leaving potions enabled like normal and balance the difficulity accordingly - in this case I won't play it because my rule is not to use potions and this mod will most likely be impossible to beat without them

- disallow potions just like Hardcore no-items mod does and make it "easy" enough to be beatable with this restriction - if this is the case, count me in!

Also one more thing. The main thing that's making regular Reborn too easy even with the competetive teams (not sure about Hardcore as I did not play it yet) is AI stupidity. If this mod will just use OP mons to outweight AI's messups I'm not sure if I can enjoy playing it. I think improving the AI might be a good start. You might want to talk to Commannder about this. I think he made some changes to the AI for Hardcore although probably nothing significant.

I'll watch this thread to see what you choose. I'll decide later whether or not to play it based on your decisions.

Anyway good luck!

I'll probably bug Commander later or sooner so he can teach me to do stuff like that, for now Kaizo in my mind would be buffing everything to the point where AI can destroy you through sheer power, at Julia you just can't stop a Lv20 Specs 252/252 Electrode that easily without most of your team being destroyed by TBolt or something. Also, I made minimun changes to the first post of some stuff I forgot to write earlier.

• Developers

In the meantime I edited my answer above because I forgot to mention the battle-style feature so you might want to re-read that. Please update your first post when you decide about battle-styles and items usage.

In the meantime I edited my answer above because I forgot to mention the battle-style feature so you might want to re-read that. Please update your first post when you decide about battle-styles and items usage.

About this, to put it simply, I'll make this like Commander did in Hardcore, when you press "A" on "New Game" I'll use Ame sprite to let you choose on 2 modes:

• Free options mode: Where you can choose set, switch, items in battle, whatever like a normal pokémon game you pussy.
  • Like a true boss: Let the AI have the upper hand, you don't even need the 4 Full Restore they have to beat them, you play on set always and don't use item in battle like... well, like this option is called.

• Developers

About this, to put it simply, I'll make this like Commander did in Hardcore, when you press "A" on "New Game" I'll use Ame sprite to let you choose on 2 modes:

• Free options mode: Where you can choose set, switch, items in battle, whatever like a normal pokémon game you pussy.
  • Like a true boss: Let the AI have the upper hand, you don't even need the 4 Full Restore they have to beat them, you play on set always and don't use item in battle like... well, like this option is called.

Actually I believe that no-items run in Hardcore disables items for most NPCs as well to make it fair.

Hey guys, it's my pleasure to say that the Beta 0.01 is out from today onwards.

A little information here:

• This beta goes as far as Julia, everything after is just normal Reborn.
  • This is a test of the difficulty I'm thinking, if you like it or you want it to be easier/harder, I acept your feedback.
  • I hadn't fully tested it yet, so some trainers may be too difficult or not a challenge at all.

So yeah, I'll say also look for the clowns and tell me everything (good AND bad) that you found. Also, I still acept people if you want to help me, don't be shy.

The idea is to fix the difficulty and get the general idea going so this mod can be finished not that long after EP16 is out.