[OU] That's why you shouldn't believe your eyes

Shad_

It's like the 4th RMT that comes out in 2 days but whatevs

Greetings people of Reborn! I'm here today with another RMT (the last one before S/M), this time featuring a pokémon you normally don't see very often in OU: Zoroark!

I'm having discrete success with this team, as of now the max i reached with it is 1628, but i believe a more expert battler can move it even further.

Without losing too much time i guess it's time to introduce the squad, isn't it?

AT A GLANCE

571.png003-mega.png227.png530.png080.png036.png

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

571.png003-mega.png

I wanted to build with Zoroark because it's a pretty fun mon to use (plus i love how it looks). Illusion is an enormous troll sometimes but Zoroark's bulk isn't exactly the best so i decided to form a core with Mega Venusaur, that covers it's Fairy and Fighting weaknesses and provides a reliable hard check to some dangerous (and common) mons like Keldeo or Azumarill.

227.png

Next, i wanted an answer to neutralize Physical sh*ts like Metagross, Excadrill, Scarf Lando-T and Mega Pinsir. I tried out Skarmory and it fulfilled that task magnificently.

530.png

I always want something Scarfed on my team as it helps to get out of annoying situations in almost every match. Ground offense is pretty cool so Excadrill came to my mind with its awesome ability Mold Breaker and quite good Atk and Spe. Plus, it serves as a hazards cleaner with Rapid Spin.

080.png

I recognized things like Lando-T, Mega Zard X and (if Skarm is weak) Bird Spam were still a problem so i needed something able to wear them down slowly while taking as much hits as possible. I've chosen Slowbro because it has access to moves like Scald and T-Wave, good physical bulk and Regenerator wich always comes in handy.

036.png

For the last spot i originally wanted Latios to have some more power, but my team was a bit too much weak to moves like Draco Meteor so i replaced it with Clefable to solve that problem. I don't care about the drop in Speed tbh, since this team is meant for a balanced playstyle with fat mons and hazard stacking.

IN-DEPTH DESCRIPTION

571.gif

Zoroark @ Choice Specs

Ability: Illusion

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def

- Night Daze

- Flamethrower

- Sludge Bomb

- Hidden Power [ice]

Zoroark is my bae revenge killer and master of trolls. Really it's beautiful when you manage to convince your foe you're leading with Excadrill against his/hers Lando-T (wich is for the 80% of times a standard Rocky Helmet set) or Tankchomp and you OHKO them with HP Ice. It's a standard Choice Specs set, with Night Daze over Dark Pulse mostly for the slightly higher power, Flamethrower to get past things like Ferrothorn with a single shot, Sludge Bomb to take care of Fairies and HP Ice to surprise the opponent. Here are some calcs to prove what i'm saying

252 SpA Choice Specs Zoroark Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 428-504 (102.6 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Zoroark Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 444-524 (116.2 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

003-mega.gif

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Ability: Thick Fat

EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpA / 20 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

- Giga Drain

- Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Synthesis

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Sludge Bomb

I love Mega Venusaur's ability to come in on things like Serperior, Ferrothorn, Azumarill and Keldeo and kill back. The 20 EVs on Speed are to outspeed Adamant Azu as if it manages to get Belly Drum up i'm pretty much fucked and i needed a counter. The set is standard even there, but i slashed Sleep Powder because its accuracy is total sh*t, this move is definitely helpful to get more control on the match but sometimes it misses even more than one time against the same foe so it's annoying (that costed me some games). Other solid options are Leech Seed and Synthesis to have more recovery, any of them can work on this set. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb hit hard with 236 EVs and STAB while HP Fire hits Bisharp (wich otherwise would wall this set) and Ferrothorn.

227.gif

Skarmory @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe

Impish Nature

- Iron Head

- Whirlwind

- Roost

- Spikes

I originally had SR Skarm, then i switched to Spikes to have more damage on switch in combined with Stealth Rocks (wich i have on Clef, i got this combo suggested). Skarm is my primary check vs Ground Offense and Whirlwind user, because i also realized Set Ups were quite a pain, especially Bisharp and this guy is able to tank a hit and cancel the set up. The EV spread is standard so i guess there's no need to explain it. Iron Head hits Fairy Types and has STAB, the rest is totally for support as we have Roost (for recovery), Spikes and Whirlwind.

530.gif

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Iron Head

- Rapid Spin

Here we go to mah bro Excadrill. Probably one of my favourite mons in this tier since the Scarfed set w/ Mold Breaker is both simple and amazing. It's my spinner (because hazard stacking and Defog on a single team aren't a good matchup for obvious reasons) and main Physical attacker. I also like it because it checks things like Sp. Def Talonflame and Mega Zard Y, altough it can't switch in well on this one. Earthquake is to get rid of everything and has STAB, so its power is even greater. Rock Slide takes care of Flying Types (bar Gliscor) and Iron Head hits Fairies (bar that damn Klefki). Rapid Spin is for Hazard Control.

080.gif

Slowbro @ Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald

- Protect

- Thunder Wave

- Slack Off

Physical check number 2 and Keldeo switch in. I wanted something able to tank a ton of hits able to stop completely Bird Spam as well as Kyu-B. This one is a bit more troublesome but Bro can come in, tank 2 Fusion Bolt and either Scald it or T-Wave it (if it's not max Atk, if it is then you have to sack something as Bro has a 9% chance of getting 2HKO'd). I tried putting Protect on it because once i figure out something is Scarf'd, Specs'd or Band'd then the job becomes much more easier. With Protect i can see the next move and switch in the most appropriate mon ("What's with this aids set" - A guy before forfeiting). The rest pretty much doesn't need explanation, Scald has STAB and burns things while Slack Off gives Recovery and T-Wave provides Speed control.

036.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD

Bold Nature

- Moonblast

- Calm Mind

- Stealth Rock

- Soft-Boiled

Clef avoids my team being dunked by Draco Meteors and is my SR setter. This set with Max HP and 216 Def can take on Mega Medicham (as well as other physical attackers) and gives an answer to Mega Sableye, wich would otherwise be kinda troublesome to bring down. Even this member of my team is kinda standard, Moonblast has STAB and works fine with Calm Mind, Stealth Rock to complete the combo with Skarm and Soft-Boiled for Recovery.

IMPORTABLE

Skarmory @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe

Impish Nature

- Iron Head

- Whirlwind

- Roost

- Spikes

Zoroark @ Choice Specs

Ability: Illusion

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def

- Night Daze

- Flamethrower

- Sludge Bomb

- Hidden Power [ice]

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Ability: Thick Fat

EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpA / 20 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

- Giga Drain

- Sleep Powder

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Sludge Bomb

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Iron Head

- Rapid Spin

Slowbro @ Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Bold Nature

- Scald

- Protect

- Thunder Wave

- Slack Off

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD

Bold Nature

- Moonblast

- Calm Mind

- Stealth Rock

- Soft-Boiled

THREAT LIST

Volcanion - This guy hits really really hard with Specs and if i fail to predict the move it can tear holes in my team.

Chansey - I lack something able to bring it down in a low number of shots, so this thing can be troublesome as it has the potential to come in on basically every member of my team at full health.

Suicune - Not so common, but a RestTalk set is kinda annoying. Keep Skarm at full health and Whirlwind if it gets a dangerous amount of Calm Mind up (this rule applies when facing every Set Up sweeper).

Mega Sableye - If this thing comes at you go Clef and Calm Mind asap, otherwise you're pretty much doomed as Skarm can't Whirlwind it.

Magnezone - You have to be careful when facing it. A wrong move can lead to either Skarm or Exca's defeat and you don't want that to happen. However, playing around that mon is not too much difficult.

Mega Alakazam - Pretty much the same as Volcanion.

CONCLUSION

Hope you guys enjoyed both this team and this RMT of mine! I'm having a lot of fun with it and trying new playstyles sometimes can be a good idea. Thanks for the reading and see you all to my next RMT!

Edited by AndSoThereIsSt3ffo

I wonder who would be dumb enough not notice you have a Zoroark and to gloss over the fact that "Excadrill" didn't use Mold Breaker...

Otherwise, it's a kinda decent team. I would never recommend Mega Venusaur on this meta but i suppose it at least is good for non-Zen-Headbutt Mega Medicham

I wonder who would be dumb enough not notice you have a Zoroark and to gloss over the fact that "Excadrill" didn't use Mold Breaker...

Otherwise, it's a kinda decent team. I would never recommend Mega Venusaur on this meta but i suppose it at least is good for non-Zen-Headbutt Mega Medicham

Believe it or not this trick worked even in late 1500s lol, to make it work better you can use Illusion combined with Skarmory to have the same effect without the Mold Breaker thing, it was just an example

Edited by AndSoThereIsSt3ffo