[OU] Counter Intelligence

SnowGlaceon

Introduction

So up until recently, I only had one real OU team. A plethora of monotype teams, sure, but only one for OU. I had the inspiration to make another one, now that I have at least a little more knowledge and experience, so here we go.

At a glance~

376.gif645-therian.gif381.gif647.gif646-black.gif637.gif

The idea at first was to build a team around Mega-Metagross(aka Megagross). That turned into me trying to cover all possible bases as well. I wanted to find a counter for everything, not just cover megagross's weaknesses. Not sure how well I did, but that's why this thread exists.

Without any more interruptions, let's get right into it.

In depth

376.gif

R.A.M. (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
The team leader, so to speak. Megagross has two functions on this team: fairy killer, and revenge killer. Bullet punch apparently isn't that common on Metagross, so it's a nice surprise for some opponents. On other Metagross sets I've had ice punch instead, for Lando-Ts and Garchomps and the like, but I sacrificed it this time. It's proved useful so far. Aside from that, it's a pretty generic Megagross set.

645-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
And now it gets fun. Another dual-functioning member, Landorus is my dedicated physical wall, and my answer to the EQs which threaten Metagross. Typically it's also my lead, because SR, but there are exceptions to that. If I think it's threatened, I'll switch it, especially if I don't think it'll survive long enough to set up rocks. Landorus was added as a counter to Steel types that can't be beaten by metagross, as well as fire types.
381.gif
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Defog
- Psyshock
Latios here is a veteran from my other OU team, but it has a new-lease on life this time. Before, it was a dual-screens set-up, which was nice...but now it's about power. Latios is a nuke, plain and simple. If given the opportunity it can set up Calm Mind and prepare to fire at will. It's second function is kinda obvious, it's a hazard remover. I don't like removing my own rocks, but some situations require it.
647.gif
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
Where do I start...Keldeo is more of a dedicated revenge killer. It was originally added as an answer to the Bisharps who plague OU, and the Heatrans of the world. Choice Scarf speed catches a surprising amount of people off guard. As a third function, I guess, Keldeo is really good for switching into predictable knock offs, which can be baited by metagross in it's base form or Latios. Losing the scarf actually comes in handy sometimes.
646-black.gif
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
Kyu-B adds some nice physical electric coverage to the team. It has a habit of shooting Gliscors and Skarmorys out of the sky, has taken out a few Tankchomps and Azumarils, etc. I forgot the pokemon it was originally supposed to counter,it may have been skarmory but there was one.
If I could, I'd make Kyu entirely physical, and put those SpA evs into SpD or HP, but this isn't a perfect world. If if it did have a physical Ice move, it'd probably be moved to Ubers.

637.gif

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
Last we have Volcarona, the glue of the team. Volcarona has one primary goal in life: frying Mega Scizor out of it's glorified exo-skeleton. Mega Scizor practically walls every member of my team except Volcarona, especially the bulky variants. Volcarona has enough bulk to survive a x2 Bullet Punch, and retaliate with a fire blast, rng providing.
Volcarona also handles most other steel, grass, and ice types.
Quiver Dance makes it even scarier, but finding set-up opportunities are rather difficult. Giga drain ruins unsuspecting water types like Quagsire, and lets it survive a little longer. Bug Buzz hits through substitute and such. That lum berry is also surprisingly helpful, preventing it from being crippled by Klefki and the like.
Finally, Volcarona is my other lead option, but only if the other team has a Ferrothorn or Skarmory that I want dead.
Threats
479-wash.pngWell, Volcarona's giga drain can deal with it, in theory. If played correctly, it walls a significant amount of my team though. My best bet is to try to destroy it with Draco Meteor before it can get comfy.
212-mega.pngThere's always the possibility that Volcarona got destroyed before it came out. It'll take basically the rest of my team to get rid of it, but it's possible I think.
385.pngI don't have much experience with these, so I never know what they carry. Between Megagross's EQ, Landorus, and Volcarona, my team has a pretty solid answer to steel, but it's swept me before.
428-mega.pngORAS why did you make this. Between Return and High Jump Kick, it hurts everything. Keldeo is my best bet, as it can outspeed and 3/4 of it's moves can kill/cripple it. Aside from that, go for bullet punch and hope for the best.
Other team issues
  • Since each team member has it's own rather specific role, if one falls at a bad time...things can go south fast.
  • Even though ice isn't a super common type in OU, it hits 3 members for super effective damage. Same with Fairy, although it's more common.
  • Im not a huge fan of repeating types. Having 2 psychic types and 2 dragon types doesn't sit well with me.

Exportable

R.A.M. (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe