Looking for bad pokemon fan-games

Oxygen9

Similarly to bad movies, there are some games that are so bad that you can't help but laugh while playing them. The dialogue being nonsensical or poorly translated (the infamous Vietnamese Crystal), the fakemon being poorly designed in some way, and a mess of glitches are common qualities of such games.

I'd appreciate hearing about the worst pokemon fan-games you've ever played.

I hear mixed things about Pokemon Snakewood, although I've never played it. I think Pokemon Clover was the one created by Four Chan, and that one might be the abomination you hear about occasionally.

If you need to look at ones I've played, I personally think that Zeta and Omicron have terrible (or just really boring) plots, but are good in all other regards.

For fan-games aka non-hacks: Pokemon Raptor Ex. Not the worse thing I've ever played, but definitely has a lot of errors that I can't overlook (and every attack was a fire ball...including growl). It did not age well but it's one worth trying if you're bored (mostly for that Arceus fight which Ame probably will have a hard time topping).

For hacks...let's see...I have to give it up to Pokemon Quartz since the game is so bad I didn't even make it past the first few areas. Let's just say some of the patches actually have Rayquaza and Groudon fakes in the first route kind of messed up. Usually hacks are a lot worse than fan-games since they can get to crazy levels of...terrible.

Pokemon Light Platinum isn't per say a bad game, though it is definitely inferior to games like Reborn and Rejuvenation. Its an excellent example of how not to make a Pokémon fan-game and how much the genre has evolved. The story and gameplay is incredibly formulaic following the same pattern throughout the whole game, it is poorly balanced with a way too easy difficulty and contains too many characters who only show up once and become irrelevant throughout the rest of the game.

All in all, it was once a great game but has now become an artifact due to the standard set by newer Pokémon fangames. Though really, its not a "bad game" in any sense of the word, merely inferior to actually good fan-games.

Pokemon Light Platinum isn't per say a bad game, though it is definitely inferior to games like Reborn and Rejuvenation. Its an excellent example of how not to make a Pokémon fan-game and how much the genre has evolved. The story and gameplay is incredibly formulaic following the same pattern throughout the whole game, it is poorly balanced with a way too easy difficulty and contains too many characters who only show up once and become irrelevant throughout the rest of the game.

All in all, it was once a great game but has now become an artifact due to the standard set by newer Pokémon fangames. Though really, its not a "bad game" in any sense of the word, merely inferior to actually good fan-games.

I think the main problem with Light Platinum is that it had WAY too many rivals and the story became way too predictable after a while.

• 2 months later...

As difficult as Pokemon Snakewood was, it wasn't really all that bad but I do vouch for that there were parts of the game that was either off or out of place. The script/plot was somewhat bad in a comedic sense at times but yeah try it out for yourself and see what you think of it.

I saw DT's run of Snakewood. That is probably the worst thing I've ever seen.

When I was 10, I thought Snakewood was the coolest thing ever (emphasis on the fact that I was 10). Despite that, I'd never seen a full playthrough of it...

Revisiting it in Derogatory Trainer's playthrough showed me why, hahaha.

I watched KingNappy's Snakewood Nuzlocke, but I'm assuming the inevitable rage at some of the puzzles is essentially the same between them. I actually think it was entertaining, in a "Evil Dead meets Warm Bodies without the romance" parody kind of way, but yeah, there was probably more than a little rage at how bad some of the puzzles were. Wouldn't play it myself, honestly, but fun to watch, at least.

I'm going to second the usual suspects (Snakewood, Quartz, etc.), but in my personal opinion Victory Fire should be on that list too. The starters are gender-locked, There's an immeasurable amount of typos, and the story's nothing special.

I once played a game called Pokemon Mega Adventure, and honestly, it was a little bit painful to play there for a little bit. The dialogue wasn't all that great, the player actually had lines in the game and had random anime characters showing up. Long story short, I don't like it when words are just shoved into the player's mouth when I don't get to choose the response, and I dislike it even more so when my character shows respect toward Ash, an individual whom I hate in all forms of the word in reality.

Though, to be fair, I didn't play the game all the way through, so I can't objectively say if it got any worse (and it has been a while, so it very well could have improved) but if it kept continuing in the manner that it was going in, then I don't think it would've gotten much better.