A Pokemon Reborn Nuzlocke (with comic!)

Metatyph

I'm not entirely sure if I should post this here or the art forums, so if this isn't the correct place I apologize beforehand.

Visuals partially made in collaboration with Ruby (link pending)

Hello, and welcome to my attempt at a Pokemon Reborn Nuzlocke! The rules I'm following can be seen below under Prologue: Rules. A section will be provided below for a short, quick report on my team, current progression, et cetera, in addition to a condensed version of the rules in text form. As I'm reporting on my run in comic form, it will definitely take longer to update than it normally would, and I would be considerably ahead in-game when compared to the reports. Hopefully, though, the payoffs will be well worth it.

Feel free to comment with feedback and/or what you feel about this! I would greatly appreciate both, and I'm interested in hearing what you think about the comic and the run.

Condensed Rules

- One catch per unique area; first Pokemon encountered only

- If a first encounter fails to be captured, that same species can be captured again later on the same place

- Fainted Pokemon are considered dead and cannot be used for the remainder of the run

- Scripted losses and powerful bosses (e.g. PULSE, Arceus, Steelix, Garchomp) are considered losses; no extra clauses will be put in place to mitigate the deaths that occur due to these battles

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there will be no shuffling of Pokemon prior to scripted losses to "pick and choose" which Pokemon dies. What my team is, stays as is. Of course, changes that are in no way related to the scripted battle (e.g. bringing Pelipper to fight Kiki) are allowed.

Progress at a Glance

For a (more) complete report, click here.

NC1mMZX.png

Trainer Name: Tempest
ID No. 36056
Money: 3240
Pokedex: 1/3

Badges: 0/16

charmander.png

BOX 1:

- None

Death Total: 0

- None

Prologue: Names

wOhAj5x.jpg

Prologue: Rules

zChjyn4.jpg

Chapter 1: Dulce Et Decorum Est

oH13iIg.jpg

Chapter 1 Progress Report

-

Edited by Metatyph

This seems to be very promising, good luck!

Good luck with the scripted battles!

This looks to be enjoyable.

Good luck (your gonna need it ;))​

Thank you! My luck's been great so far, hopefully that continues all the way to the endgame.

Might be a good idea to post this on the Nuzlocke forums, as well. Not may comic runs of romhacks or Poke Essentials games.

Still, I like what I see.

Ah, right, I didn't think about that. I'll get around to putting this up there soon. Thank you!

OH. MY. CAKES.

This is brilliant, yet difficult.

I wish you a good luck, you will need it.

Art style is pretty cute.

I would have loved to do one of these but alas I hate drawing things and letting people see them.

Hope you enjoy the pain and misery!

I will be following this nuzlocke for sure.

Also, your art is very beautiful! ~

Thank you very much! Hopefully this won't be too painful. But then again, who am I kidding?

• Global Mods

The art Is already amazing! I cant wait to see pictures of some of the epic moments (Amaria nooo!) also, if you know a superboss is coming up, like garchomp, can you take "sacrifices" instead to save your main team, as you made it sound like a wipe is 6 deaths, not a game over (which I think is good), or will you not let yourself do that because it wouldn't really be "in the spirit of things"?

The art Is already amazing! I cant wait to see pictures of some of the epic moments (Amaria nooo!) also, if you know a superboss is coming up, like garchomp, can you take "sacrifices" instead to save your main team, as you made it sound like a wipe is 6 deaths, not a game over (which I think is good), or will you not let yourself do that because it wouldn't really be "in the spirit of things"?

Thank you!! I think the epic moments (like Shade's Gym and, of course, Amaria's scene) would be fun to make, though also pretty hard.

I knew I forgot something somewhere... It's actually a rule I set for myself that I don't shuffle any Pokemon between the boxes to "choose" who dies in the scripted losses, but I guess I forgot to put that in. Mainly because that ain't no fun to read. I'll edit that into the OP, thanks!

Thank you!! I think the epic moments (like Shade's Gym and, of course, Amaria's scene) would be fun to make, though also pretty hard.

I knew I forgot something somewhere... It's actually a rule I set for myself that I don't shuffle any Pokemon between the boxes to "choose" who dies in the scripted losses, but I guess I forgot to put that in. Mainly because that ain't no fun to read. I'll edit that into the OP, thanks!

I would think the battles you HAD to lose wouldnt count, maybe instead of your pokemon "dying" they could just faint. Thats just what I thought though.

• 4 months later...

Chapter 1: Dulce Et Decorum Est

oH13iIg.jpg

Chapter 1 Progress Report

I waited for Episode 16 to actually start. You know, so I have an excuse for preocrastinating this long.

This time around, I enlisted the help of my sister, Rouxby, to do the art. I don't know if this'll continue though, so if you see a huge dip in art quality from now on, that's probably why. Anyways, here's her Tumblr, if you want to see more art! Also Twitter, if you want to contact her about commissions or requests or stuff.

23 minutes ago, Strider said:

Wow! Those are some nice IV's on the charmander.

I really like the art style, and look forward to the next installment. However, this is probably going to be a fairly slow nuzlocke, right?

Yeah, I got really lucky with that! The nature's slightly regrettable but I can fix that later... If Charmander survives that long, that is.

The nuzlocke looks like it'll be really slow, sadly, yeah; if anything, because of the comic itself. Playing through won't be a problem I think. Hopefully.

I really love the idea of adding a comic to your reborn nuzlocke, makes it more enjoyable than reading a wall of text. I also love your art style, it's very cute which contrasts the dark and gloomy nature of reborn. Will your comics be focused on the main story, or will it be everything you do in reborn including side quests?

4 hours ago, Shpee said:

I really love the idea of adding a comic to your reborn nuzlocke, makes it more enjoyable than reading a wall of text. I also love your art style, it's very cute which contrasts the dark and gloomy nature of reborn. Will your comics be focused on the main story, or will it be everything you do in reborn including side quests?

Thank you!! :D I'll be documenting the side quests very briefly, but I'll do more for the more fun/important ones.

1 hour ago, PokeFailure said:

If I had any rep left to give I'd give you some. 10/10 on the comic and the surprise Horatio Cane appearance, this is now canon and no one else can prove otherwise. Horatio cane mod pls?

Yes, finally someone who comments on the Horatio Caine!!