This Team Used To Be Blue [UU RMT]

SnowGlaceon

Right, so this is like my first RMT and my third topic ever so forgive me if something doesn't make sense.

I'll explain the title later.

That said, hello and thanks for stopping by! A while back, I realized that I'd beedn playing competitive pokemon since the gen 5 days, but only in OU. why not foray into the other tiers. SO. I took on the next not-scary-looking tier and decided to play it. I must say, I enjoy it more than OU, no stupid Rotom-Ws, Mega Loppunys, etc. Nice change of pace, I guess. But I've had some trouble teambuilding becauseimbadatit so I'd like to ask you all for some help, and without further delay....

The team at a glance:

cloyster.gifsylveon.gifmetagross.gifmandibuzz.gifcrobat-2.gifchandelure.gif

Alright, lets begin.

Copy/Paste Data

Cyanide (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Poison Fang
- Roost
R.A.M. (Metagross) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Substitute
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick

cloyster.gif

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
First, we have Cloyster. The idea here is pretty simple, as the lead mon, Cloyster uses Shell Smash, eats a hit with focus sash, and unleashes hell with skill linked Icicle Spear and Rock blast, with Razor Shell for Water STAB. If left unchecked, it can ruin whole teams. Unfortunately, Mach Punch Infernape exists, but aside from that not much ruins him. Oh wait, there's one other thing but we'll introduce him later.
metagross.gif
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
The return of AgilityGross! I decided on full offense for him, although I considered investing those speed EVs in something like HP or Defense, to make it a little more of a wall, but it seems to work ok.
sylveon.gif
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Substitute
Ah, Sylveon. Worked well in OU for me, and works just as well, if not better, in UU. I don't see this set often, but I like it so here's the break down: Substitute + High HP + Passable defense + Great SPDefense (and calm mind) = wall. I figured that with a few calm minds, I wouldn't need to invest EVs in SPAttack, so they went into defense instead.
crobat.gif
Cyanide (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Poison Fang
- Roost

Bulky Crobat. Can't say I saw this coming back when I started playing pokemon and zubats were hellspawn in caves. One thing stands out here though, Poison Fang. No one ever uses Poison Fang, right? Yeah, that's true, but I wanted toxic AND an offensive poison move, and this was kinda the unholy love child of both. The 50% poison rate is okay, but it fails when needed sometimes.

At least I can laugh at the faces of those players who see me use my other three moves and thing the only thing left is toxic, so they try to send out their fairies to set up. If suggested, I'll probably switch over to toxic.

mandibuzz.gif

Mandi (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
Mandibuzz was put in my second version of this team, the first verson containing Azelf and Mega-Sceptile instead of Mandi and Chandy. The enitre reason Mandibuzz is even on this team is because of this jerk.

doublade.gif

As you can imagine, this thing^^^ screwed me over in many a battle before Mandibuzz joined. It functions primarily as a defensive wall/staller, and unlike my other bulky birb, this one has Toxic!
chandelure.gif
Chandy (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
And kinda last, but certainly not least, we have good ol' Chandy! I remember back when its HA was not released, and it was shadow tag, and it killed things dead. But these are different times. Chandy was included after I added mandibuzz, and realized that my team had a glaring weakness to ice moves (oh the irony). So I kicked out M-Sceptile and re-discovered Chandelure. Like the gen 5 days, Chandy is my revenge killer. Choice Scarf + High SPAtk makes things that are dying very, very dead. And Trick is there for those situations. You know the ones.
Chandy also carries energy ball, because Swampert exists in this tier.
And now, to explain the title. As I said earlier, I use to run azelf and a shiny Mega-Sceptile, which completed the blue theme.
Their data can be found here:

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
Sceptile (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

The Dual Screens support was nice, but it didn't help much with certain (doublade) pokemon. The rest of the team remained largely the same, except that Sylveon had Shadow Ball instead of Psyshock. Let me know if you think I should add any of them back in.

And finally, the known weaknesses.

• Ice moves still kinda suck, but that's the price I pay for carrying two Flying types.
  • STEALTH ROCKS. And come to think of it, rock moves in general. Although they aren't really common in UU, 4/6 of my team members are weak to them.
  • Fire types. Don't pose much of a threat if cloyster is alive, but without it, they can kill off metagross and wall Sylveon. And if they carry wild charge (arcanine) or thunder punch(Infernie), they might just end one of the bulky birbs. Honerable mention goes to infernape, who can kill Cloyster too.
  • Doublade
  • Nothing else, yet, but that's why I'm making this. So you guys can rip it apart. Have at it.
Edited by SnowGlaceon

Rotom-Heat just rips through most of your team (cloyser,mandibuzz,crobat,metagross) from looking right off the bat and your only counter if you can even call it that is cloyster after a shell smash with inaccurate moves. My suggestion is to replace one of the birds for something that can cover your electric weakness such as Mega-Swampert/Hydreigon maybe.

Edited by Caradius

Right, totally forgot about electric types/Rotom-h. Ok, so let's say I kick Crobat and put defog on Mandi in place of taunt, then add in Swampert-M? Okay, but should I bother with Rain Dance on it of Swift Swim purposes or not?

Defensive Empoleon walls most of your team. The only pokemon that can defeat it is Metagross, who cannot switch in on it at all, and even on 1 vs 1 defeating him is risky due to scald doing a ton of damage+possible burn, with EQ not even coming close to OHKOing Empoleon first. As you just said, Swampert is definitely a must-have on this team replacing Crobat, preferably with Rest or Heal Bell support to combat the burn-inducing Scald better.

Edited by SJMistery

The build i personally use for my bulk m-swampert is 212hp/252attack/44speed but this set has stealth rock, ice punch, waterfall and earthquake.

If you're gonna be running the manual rain dance set you can do 252 attack /252 speed(or hit some benchmark)/4hp replacing stealth rock for rain dance.

The build i personally use for my bulk m-swampert is 212hp/252attack/44speed but this set has stealth rock, ice punch, waterfall and earthquake.

If you're gonna be running the manual rain dance set you can do 252 attack /252 speed(or hit some benchmark)/4hp replacing stealth rock for rain dance.

I'll probably end up going without rain dance to start, because it doesn't really benefit any of my team members, and even hinders one of them. I could always use another tank, but I feel like my team will miss the speed from losing Crobat as a reliable revenge killer (85 acc Fire blast tho). Oh well, it's worth a shot.

Defensive Empoleon walls most of your team. The only pokemon that can defeat it is Metagross, who cannot switch in on it at all, and even on 1 vs 1 defeating him is risky due to scald doing a ton of damage+possible burn, with EQ not even coming close to OHKOing Empoleon first. As you just said, Swampert is definitely a must-have on this team replacing Crobat, preferably with Rest or Heal Bell support to combat the burn-inducing Scald better.

Somehow I haven't run into any Empoleon problems, yet. I see the threat though. Here's the thing, the only pokemon who can learn heal bell on my team is Sylveon, and the move doesn't really fit into the set Im running now. I could replace psyshock with heal bell, but at the cost of some coverage and security against poison types.

So so with these suggestions, it's looking like I'll be switching Crobat for Swampert, switching Mandibuzz's taunt for defog, and possibly switching Sylveon's Psyshock for heal bell.

Edit:

Posting updated team here:

Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Substitute
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
Mandi (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Toxic
Chandy (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

I did a few test runs with it, and it actually works really well. The only remaining issue here is Sylveon. Before it was more of a 'calm mind sweeper/tank' set. With the addition of Heal bell and the removal of Psyshock, it's sort of this weird hybrid between Sweeper and Cleric, and those just don't mix. As it was before, Sylveon was designed to stay in for a while, setting up, walling, and sweeping. As I see it, heal bell is more or less a 'one and done' type of thing. What I mean is that all Sylveon has to do is switch in and use it, then switch back out.
No real room for setting up, so substitute and CM become kind of unnecessary. And without baton pass + wish, the cleric set is pretty incomplete. What do you guys reccomend, what I had before on Sylveon, or a cleric set instead?

personally I preferred the old set because it worked beautifully on it's own(out-stalled many a suicune with it), but I see scald as a serious threat to Swampert and Metagross, so I'll let you experts decide instead

Edited by SnowGlaceon