Spork Episode 8: Smoothie + Delicia's Delicious Dreamland

Ice Cream Sand Witch

May as well put this down.

BUGS

~0:03:00

Don't lose to Emily in the beginning, or she'll break. Aka run into a wall.

Event trigger is... I don't even know anymore. http://prntscr.com/brhcxs

Emily never goes away, returning to the desk when you refresh the room.

~0:10:00

Entered Pokemon Centre. That nurse has long arms, taking my Pokeballs from the entrance. Only append the first time I entered, though.

Will edit through until... whenever.

@Pyrr's Light Screen thing.

Nothing odd when I used it.

Edited by Cobalt996
  • Upvote 1

I have a bugs list too that i shall edit

Bugs:

• You can walk on the theif TM
  • Whenever i switch to my bulbasaur on the opponents second mon, the text gets really small and i have no idea why. I have not checked this for other pokemon, but i assume it's the same.
  • Emily comes back after leaving the room the first time.
  • Floors 4 and 5 take you to floor 1
  • Leaving the move tutors house in cianso or whatever causes you to appear in front of the name raters house.
  • You can walk really far down the black tiles in the game corner.

Thanks for the game btw. Aside from the second point, the game is fun so far.

Preety big one here, full on error occured in second rival battle. Switched espurr after using light screen. Game did not crash, kept going.

Edit: Rival can't attack either. idk what it is causing it.

EDIT IMPORTANT: It's caused by light screen

---------------------------
Pokemon Spork
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbIsSpecial?' for #<PokeBattle_Battle:0x7fb2260>

PokeBattle_AI:3358:in `pbRoughDamage'

PokeBattle_AI:2564:in `pbGetMoveScore'

PokeBattle_AI:3627:in `pbChooseMoves'

PokeBattle_AI:3625:in `each'

PokeBattle_AI:3625:in `pbChooseMoves'

PokeBattle_AI:4056:in `pbDefaultChooseEnemyCommand'

PokeBattle_Scene:2769:in `pbChooseEnemyCommand'

PokeBattle_Battle:2382:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2377:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:2377:in `pbCommandPhase'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\<name>\Saved Games/Pokemon Spork/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods

Thanks for reporting the bugs. I thought I fixed the elevator one (there are actually only 3 floors; the fact that 4 and 5 are even listed is a glitch) and the one with Emily reappearing after beating her, but I guess I fixed them wrong.

While I'm taking care of these bugs, I'll add them to a known bugs list in the OP.

• Upvote 1

• Veterans
Alright, so I decided to play the game, and as I went on I compiled a list of bugs, suggestions for future additions to the game.
I'll update this list as I go as well, and it may update a bit sporadically because I have the attention span of a potato but!!! Even though there's duplicate errors noted (as in other people already mentioned them before), I'll just keep them there.
Bugs

• Text skip in the intro with Litwick saying "This vacation could be a good opportunity to start." when using the FR/LG font for the text.
  • Passability errors on the empty spots on the table when picking a starter.
  • TM ball for Thief in the storage room on 4F has a passability error
  • 1F is the same as 4F and 5F.

Suggestions

• Perhaps try to get the typing screen working when entering names (it's a bit faster!)
  • Add the quicksave option + hotkey
  • With sprites, be careful that you work on the 1:1 scale of the sprites (so the original size!) instead of the 2:1 sized sprite you use in the game. Having pixels that are smaller than the rest of the pixels used in the game make it look out of place.
  • Try to avoid making the maps extremely big and having little in it. If you're making a big map, put a lot in it so people won't get bored of walking around in a big, empty space.

Good luck though, ICSW! This game seems like a lot of fun so far :]

• Upvote 2

• Global Mods

When I fix a bug, I'll put a strikethrough so people know it's fixed. I just fixed a few of them. For the issue with losing to Emily, I think I'm going to make it to where the game continues whether you win or lose.

Alright, so I decided to play the game, and as I went on I compiled a list of bugs, suggestions for future additions to the game.
I'll update this list as I go as well, and it may update a bit sporadically because I have the attention span of a potato but!!! Even though there's duplicate errors noted (as in other people already mentioned them before), I'll just keep them there.
Bugs

• Text skip in the intro with Litwick saying "This vacation could be a good opportunity to start." when using the FR/LG font for the text.
  • Passability errors on the empty spots on the table when picking a starter.
  • TM ball for Thief in the storage room on 4F has a passability error
  • 1F is the same as 4F and 5F.

Suggestions

• Perhaps try to get the typing screen working when entering names (it's a bit faster!)
  • Add the quicksave option + hotkey
  • With sprites, be careful that you work on the 1:1 scale of the sprites (so the original size!) instead of the 2:1 sized sprite you use in the game. Having pixels that are smaller than the rest of the pixels used in the game make it look out of place.
  • Try to avoid making the maps extremely big and having little in it. If you're making a big map, put a lot in it so people won't get bored of walking around in a big, empty space.

Good luck though, ICSW! This game seems like a lot of fun so far :]

Thanks for the suggestions! When I release 1.1, in addition to the bug fixes, I'll definitely add quicksave and the typing screen for entering names.

Being able to walk on the empty space of the tables is another thing I thought I fixed. I made the tables non-passable just now on the tileset and tested to make sure it works, so it's fixed now.

In the training room in the hotel, you can catch Pokemon there. Is this intentional or not?

Yes, you're supposed to be able to catch them.

Thoughts on Pokemon Spork:

-Good music choice. Not sure if its OST or other music, but hot damn is it good.

-Start screen needs something on it. Maybe a logo? Idk. It seems bland to me.

-Background of The professor/litwick thing at the start could be a little better. It looks out of place. Something ominous would be cool.

-Boy sprite is just recolored version of Vero. Would like it if it was something more original. Or it might just be me not liking the Vero sprite in general.

-Hair on both sprites could be a little less hurtful on my eyes. Like a softer shade of blue/red would be nice.

-Put in an option for us to use a keyboard in putting our names damnit!

-I don’t know if the extra space on the tables are for the gen 7 pokemon, but They aren’t out yet, and the extra table space seems out of place.

-Sweet! Female charmander! Don’t know if you changed how the gender aspect of each pokemon but this is pretty cool~

-The amount of fourth wall breaking in this game is imo the right balance to being funny. I’ll tolerate it.

-I feel as if the Author’s note for the autorun command is out of place. Like There could have been a poster or something. Not in the main dialogue. Like havethe character say it In a sentence. I feel as if an author’s note was not needed for that.

-I do appreciate the fresh water.

-the backsprite of the girl character looks as if her waist is waay too thin, compared to her head or something. It makes it look as if she is anorexic or something. Not sure if that’s intentional or not but im pointing it out.

-Not sure if this unfair or not, but my charmander like got obliterated by this buneary. Like the amount of attack in this buneary is kinda insane compared to my measly scratches. Not sure how losing this will change the game but it would have been nice to win. Or is it just me being trash at battling?

-Wtf im pretty sure paying prize money in a first battle is kinda stupid. It was just a test match or something right?

-I have to beat this match?

-ugh. I guess I’ll stop at there. Pretty hard way to have a first match but I guess it gives lee way to how difficult the rest of the game will be.

Final thoughts: I know using the ‘for a beginner’ phrase for this might seem a bit underappreciative of your work, but seeing as you have not made a fangame (or one that is showcased here) this seems to be a pretty solid start. I know I might have been a bit harsh on the criticizing of this game, (even going down to the nitty gritty of what I think is a good standard to be in) but I had low expectations to begin with. I thought this was a joke, but you have really blown me away with what your capable of as a developer. Keep up the good work ICSW! This game feels amazing and the amount of detail you put into the first few moments is impressive.

• Upvote 2

• Global Mods

Thoughts on Pokemon Spork:

-Good music choice. Not sure if its OST or other music, but hot damn is it good.

-Start screen needs something on it. Maybe a logo? Idk. It seems bland to me.

-Background of The professor/litwick thing at the start could be a little better. It looks out of place. Something ominous would be cool.

-Boy sprite is just recolored version of Vero. Would like it if it was something more original. Or it might just be me not liking the Vero sprite in general.

-Hair on both sprites could be a little less hurtful on my eyes. Like a softer shade of blue/red would be nice.

-Put in an option for us to use a keyboard in putting our names damnit!

-I don’t know if the extra space on the tables are for the gen 7 pokemon, but They aren’t out yet, and the extra table space seems out of place.

-Sweet! Female charmander! Don’t know if you changed how the gender aspect of each pokemon but this is pretty cool~

-The amount of fourth wall breaking in this game is imo the right balance to being funny. I’ll tolerate it.

-I feel as if the Author’s note for the autorun command is out of place. Like There could have been a poster or something. Not in the main dialogue. Like havethe character say it In a sentence. I feel as if an author’s note was not needed for that.

-I do appreciate the fresh water.

-the backsprite of the girl character looks as if her waist is waay too thin, compared to her head or something. It makes it look as if she is anorexic or something. Not sure if that’s intentional or not but im pointing it out.

-Not sure if this unfair or not, but my charmander like got obliterated by this buneary. Like the amount of attack in this buneary is kinda insane compared to my measly scratches. Not sure how losing this will change the game but it would have been nice to win. Or is it just me being trash at battling?

-Wtf im pretty sure paying prize money in a first battle is kinda stupid. It was just a test match or something right?

-I have to beat this match?

-ugh. I guess I’ll stop at there. Pretty hard way to have a first match but I guess it gives lee way to how difficult the rest of the game will be.

Final thoughts: I know using the ‘for a beginner’ phrase for this might seem a bit underappreciative of your work, but seeing as you have not made a fangame (or one that is showcased here) this seems to be a pretty solid start. I know I might have been a bit harsh on the criticizing of this game, (even going down to the nitty gritty of what I think is a good standard to be in) but I had low expectations to begin with. I thought this was a joke, but you have really blown me away with what your capable of as a developer. Keep up the good work ICSW! This game feels amazing and the amount of detail you put into the first few moments is impressive.

There actually is a title screen o . o Is it not showing up?

Most of the music is from GlitchxCity, but there are some remixes from other artists too.

I put in the author's note because it always just felt weird to me when characters say "Press this button to run!" like they're aware they're in a game

The funny thing about that Buneary is that for that battle, I actually gave it a hindering nature to lower its attack because it was almost impossible to beat while I was testing. And even with the hindering nature, it still has so much power.

As I mentioned in a previous post, 1.1 will let you type in your name

Prize money is connected to a trainer class's AI. Giving her no money means setting her AI to zero, and AI applies to entire trainer classes, so I'm not sure it's possible to make a trainer not pay money for only one battle. But all first battles in games have given money.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm considering changing it to where the game continues whether you win or lose.

I haven't changed any gender ratios (but I did add to the default happiness of starters), so congrats on the female Charmander!

Thanks for the feedback! It makes me happy that people are enjoying the game, and also offering suggestions and reporting bugs.

ayy it's out (sorry I couldn't beta test again!)

from the beginning, all of my suggestions are pretty much what zumi has to say. you also could maybe put some random NPCs in the hotel rooms so not all of them battle you. i also think the tree border in the beach is slightly unrealistic, and you probably shouldn't put lemonades for sale at the start of the game (Especially at the same price of 350, that's really cheap)

now for the bugs:

- azurill is floating

- Bulletproof's description is cut off after "ball and bomb" - it should continue to say moves

- there's a break between "well" and "they might challenge you to a battle!" when you talk to the guy who explains the attractions

- fairy type = shadow type

• Global Mods

im having trouble with my froakie apparently its protean ability aint workin at all its not changing my type to normal if i use tackle and so on

So I tested this out, then I also tested out Pixilate. Default Essentials doesn't have Gen 6 stuff, so I figured if one Gen 6 ability didn't work, others might not either. And I was right. I copied the Gen 6 data from the add-on on Pokecommunity when I first downloaded Essentials, and assumed it would work. But I just read the Abilities page on the wiki and it seems like defining the ability (which is what the files for Gen 6 did) is just the first step to making an ability work, and it alone isn't enough. So there's something else I need to do to make Gen 6 abilities work. Problem is, that's as far as the wiki explains. It doesn't tell me what folder or file or part of the script to go to in order to continue implementing abilities, so I have no clue what to do. :/

• Global Mods

But what about second breakfast

It was so fast that it broke away in seconds

Combusken doesn't get Double Kick, Jim is whipping my ass right now ;-;

That's really strange... I checked its learnset in the files and it's there at level 16 like it should be. I also gave myself a level 16 Combusken and it had Double Kick. If you send me your save file, I can put Double Kick on your Combusken (just let me know which move to replace it with).

- you can use the library stairs on the second floor from the upper side

- i get a nomethoderror after the opponent tries to attack when i have light screen up: battle continues, but opponent doesn't move - ik that Reborn beta E15 had this problem too

- break between "Cianosa," and "which is just past Virima Trail" when talking to Jim

- leaving the move tutor causes you to come out of the name rater's house

also could you change the registered item to shift, since it doesn't work on Macs, ty

also rip Taillow and Krabby, one killed by Whismur and the other killed by Girafarig :c

• Global Mods

- you can use the library stairs on the second floor from the upper side

- i get a nomethoderror after the opponent tries to attack when i have light screen up: battle continues, but opponent doesn't move - ik that Reborn beta E15 had this problem too

- break between "Cianosa," and "which is just past Virima Trail" when talking to Jim

- leaving the move tutor causes you to come out of the name rater's house

also could you change the registered item to shift, since it doesn't work on Macs, ty

also rip Taillow and Krabby, one killed by Whismur and the other killed by Girafarig :c

You're doing a nuzlocke? . o .

Light Screen has been reported, and the house one is fixed. EDIT: The Light Screen one has also been fixed now

I just tried registering a key item and it didn't work for me either (at least not with F5, which is what it's apparently registered to), and I have windows.

You're doing a nuzlocke? . o .

Light Screen has been reported, and the house one is fixed.

I just tried registering a key item and it didn't work for me either (at least not with F5, which is what it's apparently registered to), and I have windows.

Wedlocke, actually :3

also Wide Lens is misspelled as Wide Lines in the Game Corner