Summer/Fall 2016 Anime Season Discussion

Felicity

• Support Squad

Drawing to the end of spring, feel free to speculate here on new upcoming shows and voice your opinions on those. Go check out the other seasonal anime threads to see what this is about.

• Administrators

<incessant pining for dangan ronpa anime>

New Game looks cute too I guess.

I find it strange that Drifters says it has hobbits in it. When did those become generic fantasy races, rather than just something from Tolkein?

NEW WIXOSS TOO. that's fine. bye.

• Support Squad

Danganronpa looks idk man. On the one hand it ties up the series or at least furthers it somehow. On the other hand the anime adaptations have not been the beeeest?

I'm just stoked for SHOKUGEKI 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO LET'S GO and the continuing Re zero.

So, where can I even find what's out there? LOL.

Oh nevermind missed that post. ((I thought was linking to the old version of these threads for... some reason. I'm probably jsut stupid.))

I'll probably make a post later if there's anything that looks interesting to me. Thing is, I'm not really the best at picking things to watch myself. I tend to go off recomendation of others to me lol.

I still keep wondering why D. Gray-Man Hallow will have only 13 chapters :(

Depends on the studio. For the most part, 13 episodes means that it's a test run to check out sales.

• Support Squad

Depends on the studio. For the most part, 13 episodes means that it's a test run to check out sales.

Tbf I'm surprised it wasn't set for 24 episodes instead. It was a fairly strong show, right? Judging by the previous run of the series. You'd think that would instil the confidence to give it a more substantial episode number.

Tbf I'm surprised it wasn't set for 24 episodes instead. It was a fairly strong show, right? Judging by the previous run of the series. You'd think that would instil the confidence to give it a more substantial episode number.

That doesn't really mean anything. A lot of Anime with popular source material has only 1 cour.

Only paying attention to the Berserk anime despite the CGI, Shokugeki No Souma 2nd Season, and Mob Psycho 1000. Everything else seems uninteresting, but I'll give most of them a watch for like 1-2 episodes.

Are any of these summer ones actual shows? The vast majority says manga. I haven't checked the fall ones yet.

It says that because those are the source material, i.e. Shokugeki started out as a manga series before getting an anime adaptation.

• Administrators

Danganronpa looks idk man. On the one hand it ties up the series or at least furthers it somehow. On the other hand the anime adaptations have not been the beeeest?

And in fact the original animation of DR was pretty awful. Cuz they tried to cram the full game into 13 episodes. But the creator outright said, the previous DR Anime was meant to draw in fans to the series. These new anime seasons are something to "reward" existing fans. The fact that they're being made for TV means the pacing and everything can actually be customized to suit their purpose. As such, I have faith in them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

K E I J O

E

I

J

O

You get inured to the fan service pretty quickly and it just becomes another sports anime with quirky training and special techniques.

Just watched the second episode of Yuri on Ice and I'm really looking forward to the music and choreography for this competition.

You get inured to the fan service pretty quickly and it just becomes another sports anime with quirky training and special techniques.

Just watched the second episode of Yuri on Ice and I'm really looking forward to the music and choreography for this competition.

I was never watching it for the fanservice :3 I love the manga, it's just hilarious. Love the attack names.

Also watching Gi(a)rlish Number. Still waiting for it to turn gay.

• Support Squad

Keijo did not enrapture me. The humour of "heh butts n ass" is lost on me when I have been up to my neck in it for two thirds of my life. The character designs are eh and I guess in terms of outrageous weirdness I've been exposed to Prison school, so this show doesn't really faze me.

The only other actual show I've picked up on is March comes in like a lion. This show looks and sounds fuckin' gorgeous and as a guy living on his own right now I empathise with the main character a fair bit.

Everything else is either sequels or I've watched like one episode of. Gi(a)rlish number is from the same person as SNAFU, Oreigairu btw so it's way more cynical than first appearances make it seem. Seriously, I can tell I'm going to love to hate everyone in that show.

Serious talk, for this season I'm watching:

Keijo

Hibike Euphonium S2

Brave Witches

Shuumatsu no Izetta

Gi(a)rlish Number

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Shoushin Shoujo Matoi

Flip Flappers

Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans S2

Lostorage Infected WIXOSS

Of these, probably the best ones IMO are Gundam, Hibike, Izetta, Gi(a)rlish.

Gi(a)rlish Number so far seems to be a meta cynical take on the seiyuu industry, so that's always fun to watch.

Hibike!! Euphonium in general is amazing, and I highly reccommend the first season.

Izetta is great for anyone with an interest in military history: the weapons are all period-accurate, which are always a plus. Also the animation is gorgeous and the girls are cute. So far the Princess is a bit too perfect though. But at least she's powerless, so it doesn't quite cross the line into wish fulfillment.

Tekketsu no Orphans is amazing and I reccommend it to everyone, even if you're not a Gundam fan. Mari Okada is amazing as always, and Tekketsu no Orphans has great characterisation and worldbuilding.

As for the other shows, the ones that show promise are Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku (MahoIku) and maybe Lostorage Infected WIXOSS. MahoIku is interesting, I thought it would be another dark mahou shoujo series for the post-Madoka paradigm, but it's a bit different. The concerns the characters possess are different and there are some really interesting character dynamics going on. Very excited for this one.