Magic: The Gathering Discussion Thread

Shadow Tack

I've wanted to make this for awhile as i've seen references to this beautiful game all around the forums and on the server lately, but who here plays, online or in paper, what formats, and such things, maybe some discussion on various topics? idk, but it might be interesting to all meet on something like Xmage or untap.in occasionally and just draft some random set.

Edited by Shadow Tack

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, MTG... I remember this, me and my buddies used to play this back in middle school... we eventually stopped after one got his entire deck stolen though, never found out who was the prick who did it.

Hell, I still have all my decks and extra cards sitting around even now. Keep them in a plastic baggy somewhere, gathering dust.

Good ol MTG.

I only play Commander, with Captain Sisay being my commander, but I've been looking into getting back into Extended which was a format I bossed at back in the day. The new Zendikar sets have piqued my interest.

Good ol MTG.

I only play Commander, with Captain Sisay being my commander, but I've been looking into getting back into Extended which was a format I bossed at back in the day. The new Zendikar sets have piqued my interest.

isn't extended dead? eh, i mainly play pauper w/ either a jund brew or eye candy

I love MTG to death, but I was never really able to get into it due to not being fond of the Standard format. It just costs too much money for me to constantly be buying new cards for Standard and half the other formats, plus I love some of the older cards to death and hate to leave them behind. Unfortunately, the game has serious balancing issues in formats like Legacy, so those were never really an option for me either. I pretty much just played casually. It's been a year or two since I last played, but I'd love to do a draft with some of you all on whichever website or program we can use. That sounds like loads of fun.

I will say that I'm a huge fan of the artwork and the world(s) of MTG. I don't know a whole lot of lore, but I find it super interesting and would love to learn more about it in the future. My favorite deck was a Myr deck I made, the Myr being my favorite part of the MTG verse.

isn't extended dead? eh, i mainly play pauper w/ either a jund brew or eye candy

A number of peeps in my scene play Extended. There was some real crazy bullshit between Zendikar and Innistrad blocks that kinda turned me off it, but I had been playing the format dating back to Lorwyn.

I love MTG to death, but I was never really able to get into it due to not being fond of the Standard format. It just costs too much money for me to constantly be buying new cards for Standard and half the other formats, plus I love some of the older cards to death and hate to leave them behind. Unfortunately, the game has serious balancing issues in formats like Legacy, so those were never really an option for me either. I pretty much just played casually. It's been a year or two since I last played, but I'd love to do a draft with some of you all on whichever website or program we can use. That sounds like loads of fun.

I will say that I'm a huge fan of the artwork and the world(s) of MTG. I don't know a whole lot of lore, but I find it super interesting and would love to learn more about it in the future. My favorite deck was a Myr deck I made, the Myr being my favorite part of the MTG verse.

just play pauper, the format where 40% of top decks are brews ;)

Yeah, I play Magic! Really fun game to play! I think I play Standard Format with my friends. So far, I only have a green/white Heroic deck.

Heroic is a mechanic that rotated out of standard awhile back, but well, not going to discourage casual play of this beautiful game

A number of peeps in my scene play Extended. There was some real crazy bullshit between Zendikar and Innistrad blocks that kinda turned me off it, but I had been playing the format dating back to Lorwyn.

neat, also screw faeries.

Finally this thread is a thing! I love MTG. I'm playing much less than before lately due to university but it's still one of my favorite games ever. I like playing Commander and booster draft most, and I'm also a big mental magic, pauper and cube draft fan.

Btw, have you seen Eternal Masters? This set is just crazy: http://mythicspoiler.com

Edited by Lugruf

Finally this thread is a thing! I love MTG. I'm playing much less than before lately due to university but it's still one of my favorite games ever. I like playing Commander and booster draft most, and I'm also a big mental magic, pauper and cube draft fan.

Btw, have you seen Eternal Masters? This set is just crazy: http://mythicspoiler.com

I'm SUPER hype for E masters, if i wasn't poor id be playing booster draft at my LGS on release day

I'm SUPER hype for E masters, if i wasn't poor id be playing booster draft at my LGS on release day

This set's draft reminds me of a cube draft I used to play with all the best cards of MTG ever. It won't be that broken but still, it will be fun to play with all this op stuff again.

holy snap magic <3 <3 I really loved that game I played it with my friends I have been thinking about getting into it again but don't have anyone to play with T_T partly cuz im to lazy but still :P its pretty cool that you guys also know/play the game :D

We should do a tournament or something in a free MTG online platform like workstation or cockatrice. I don't mind the format at all, and it could be very fun if we get enough people to organize something.

i play mtg lol. i play edh, modern, pauper, and a fuckton of limited. i have a handful of decks but the one's i play with the most are melek storm (edh), selvala midrangey-draw stuff (edh), damia elfball (edh), grixis delver (modern), esper combo (pauper [rip original deck but with peregrine drake being common in ema it'll come back ~maybe~]), boros kitty (pauper), ub delver angler (pauper), and i have like most of an esper control deck in standard lol

out of all of these i probably play the selvala deck the most. it's also the deck ive dumped the most time/money into. not even going to imagine foiling it out yet because some of the cards are reaching my price limit unfoiled x_x

i play mtg lol. i play edh, modern, pauper, and a fuckton of limited. i have a handful of decks but the one's i play with the most are melek storm (edh), selvala midrangey-draw stuff (edh), damia elfball (edh), grixis delver (modern), esper combo (pauper [rip original deck but with peregrine drake being common in ema it'll come back ~maybe~]), boros kitty (pauper), ub delver angler (pauper), and i have like most of an esper control deck in standard lol

out of all of these i probably play the selvala deck the most. it's also the deck ive dumped the most time/money into. not even going to imagine foiling it out yet because some of the cards are reaching my price limit unfoiled x_x

Finally another Commander player! I play Maelstrom wanderer ramp and Kemba equipments mainly, and I also have a huge album with lots of cards 1x to build random commander decks for fun.

MTG is definitely a great game, though the cost has always prohibited me from actually entering the scene. I mostly just log on once in a while on Cockatrice (fanmade client to play MTG) and play there. The freedom it affords me to create silly and wacky decks makes such an option preferable to investing into one deck only.

Though I mostly play Modern, since Standard kinda died to me after the Theros block and all my favorite decks rotating out.

We should do a tournament or something in a free MTG online platform like workstation or cockatrice. I don't mind the format at all, and it could be very fun if we get enough people to organize something.

i mentioned 2 other choices in the OP, and i agree that it's be cool to do, but i'm bad at life so i wouldn't host it

Ah good times, I've played magic way back through my highschool days. It was a red/black tribal goblin deck with patriarch's bidding. But alas it's all a distant memory now.

Edited by Ragnar