399 posts in this topic

Damn, there's still a fanbase for this game? I used to love Yu Gi Oh back in the day, when it was actually good (pre 2010-2012) but it's very hard to imagine why anyone would stick around after all the bullshit Konami has pulled in the past few years. The game has devolved into something entirely different. Now you know the newest archetypes will be broken for a few formats and then get hit hard by the banlist, so on and so forth.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because we're all filthy addicts :v

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlueMoonIceCream said:

Because we're all filthy addicts :v

Thought you'd be addicted to Guinness and drunken brawls.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's probably racist but we all know competitively playing a TCG is more expensive than any drug u-u Although I do have a lot of fun going back to different periods in yugioh, recently went back to one of the DS games, spirit caller, made a dark paladin deck that was lit af and figured out a very specific combo to getting 3 out turn 1 that I have yet to pull off legitimately :| As for all this archetype stuff I kinda like it, gives the deck a playstyle but at the same time it simplifies things immensely but it is what it is, I'm just glad certain cards are getting support like gandora, Dark magician, Buster blader, Silent swordsman etc. They're at least super fun to play

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardgames are life... cardgames are life...

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlueMoonIceCream said:

That's probably racist but we all know competitively playing a TCG is more expensive than any drug u-u Although I do have a lot of fun going back to different periods in yugioh, recently went back to one of the DS games, spirit caller, made a dark paladin deck that was lit af and figured out a very specific combo to getting 3 out turn 1 that I have yet to pull off legitimately :| As for all this archetype stuff I kinda like it, gives the deck a playstyle but at the same time it simplifies things immensely but it is what it is, I'm just glad certain cards are getting support like gandora, Dark magician, Buster blader, Silent swordsman etc. They're at least super fun to play

Oh, come on. It was only a harmless joke. After all, I'm sure you do love Guinness and drunken brawls. I wouldn't know about either of those, but I do know that Konami's greed has destroyed what used to be a very fun game. A shame, too.

 

7 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Cardgames are life... cardgames are life...

 

 

Is your name Mark by any chance?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EternalDarkness said:

Is your name Mark by any chance?

no, it's Wolfox (on here it is, that's not my irl name)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did they ruin it, in your opinion?

 

Personally I've still been having fun like, I was off and on for a while but now I'm elbow deep, can't stop now

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the game is still really fun and playable from what I notice, you just gotta adept to the new format every couple of years (I will however say that pendies can go straight to the shadow realm, together with 4kids)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, BlueMoonIceCream said:

How did they ruin it, in your opinion?

 

Personally I've still been having fun like, I was off and on for a while but now I'm elbow deep, can't stop now

Where to begin? As I said, greed. They constantly release new broken stuff to replace the old, only for it to become irrelevant sooner rather than later and in turn be replaced by other broken stuff that will become irrelevant as well. They're really only after your money at this point and it's clear as day to all. It's a vicious circle. But that's not the only thing that turned me off from the game a long time ago. It's also the fact that the meta has shifted so much to favoring OTK decks. Do you remember when the game was actually fun and the decks weren't all designed to OTK or FTK the opponent? When you had to have meaningful strategy in place? Nowadays it's just an OTK fest of silliness. If you don't draw the right cards for the OTK, you forfeit and try again. I don't see the point in playing a game like that. Note that this is the situation I recall before quitting myself. Maybe now with pendulum bullshit and other such things, the meta has shifted to something entirely different, though I doubt it very much.

Edited by EternalDarkness
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EternalDarkness said:

Where to begin? As I said, greed. They constantly release new broken stuff to replace the old, only for it to become irrelevant sooner rather than later and in turn be replaced by other broken stuff that will become irrelevant as well. It's a vicious circle. But that's not the only thing that turned me off from the game a long time ago. It's also the fact that the meta has shifted so much to favoring OTK decks. Do you remember when the game was actually fun and the decks weren't all designed to OTK or FTK the opponent? When you had to have meaningful strategy in place? Nowadays it's just an OTK fest of silliness. If you don't draw the right cards for the OTK, you forfeit and try again. I don't see the point in playing a game like that. Note that this is the situation I recall before quitting myself. Maybe now with pendulum bullshit and other such things, the meta has shifted to something entirely different, though I doubt it very much.

evem if the meta favours that, that doesn;t mean it's the only way to play. you can just play with friends and use decks you like. you could meme with a Trance the Magic Swordman and still have fun

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

evem if the meta favours that, that doesn;t mean it's the only way to play. you can just play with friends and use decks you like. you could meme with a Trance the Magic Swordman and still have fun

And who said I play for fun? I always play to win and do so competitively. If I can't hang with the meta, I leave or try to get better. For me, fun comes from winning and from trying your best to succeed. But with this game at that current time, I felt like it wasn't worth my time anymore. Because even if I did conform to the meta and play the lamest OTK deck, I still wouldn't feel that I'd accomplished anything. Besides, in a year or two, the deck I'd be playing would be completely irrelevant. It's hard to be serious about a game when you know that no matter how good you are with a certain deck, it's going to be hit and you'll have to learn a new meta deck eventually. Kinda defeats the purpose of mastering your deck.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joy for me in yugioh comes with deck building, I like innovating decks that are otherwise unplayable into something that can stand up to the meta, my proudest achievment is making buster blader into a viable deck, I developed a 2 card combo that would set me up optimally I like being creative and making something new, playing the same old deck would bore me to tears no joke, i like mastering many decks and i don't just mean master playing them, I want to master building them

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my yugioh comes from playing with friends. doing what most people would do to play a card game, having fun. not everyone likes that I can understand, but for most people that's just what it is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueMoonIceCream said:

The joy for me in yugioh comes with deck building, I like innovating decks that are otherwise unplayable into something that can stand up to the meta, my proudest achievment is making buster blader into a viable deck, I developed a 2 card combo that would set me up optimally I like being creative and making something new, playing the same old deck would bore me to tears no joke, i like mastering many decks and i don't just mean master playing them, I want to master building them

Deck building is a thing of the past. Nowadays and for quite a while, actually, most people who play online are deck profiling the latest meta decks and maybe make a few personal adjustments to those. What you're referring to is what used to happen back in the day, when people actually built their own decks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are still people who build their own decks, those are the players just playing for the hell of it because they find it a fun game. also the meta online will most likely slow down with links sooner or later

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

there are still people who build their own decks, those are the players just playing for the hell of it because they find it a fun game. also the meta online will most likely slow down with links sooner or later

Perhaps, but I only talk about the competitive aspect of it. Those who play the meta and who play to win.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EternalDarkness said:

Deck building is a thing of the past. Nowadays and for quite a while, actually, most people who play online are deck profiling the latest meta decks and maybe make a few personal adjustments to those. What you're referring to is what used to happen back in the day, when people actually built their own decks.

Dude, I'm literally talking about now, I have recently made a deck based on Psychic emperor and it can kick ass, sure it's not great but I've figured out how to do some amazing stuff with it for example, soul charge with no cost is broken af, turn 1 crystal wing, ultimaya, leviar, hyper psychic blaster, psychic emperor is a pretty formidable field along with ghost ogre in hand, if you really put your mind to it you can set up some amazing boards with the worst decks possible, I beat zoodiacs with digital bugs in a match >-> Granted it was AI but it was still digital bugs I mean come on, they'd even be bad back in the day. Also mixing blue-eyes support with buster balder making the deck actually decent to the point of if I were to open first with my two card combo, of which the pieces are searchable, I would probably have them scoop. Deck building isn't dead you just have to actually care about trying

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EternalDarkness said:

Perhaps, but I only talk about the competitive aspect of it. Those who play the meta and who play to win.

I may be blunt here, but perhaps that's why you fell out of it, because the meta updating was a little too fast for you liking and that you just got bored either OTKing or getting OTKed. not really anything to blame here, not even the game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I may be blunt here, but perhaps that's why you fell out of it, because the meta updating was a little too fast for you liking and that you just got bored either OTKing or getting OTKed. not really anything to blame here, not even the game.

Pretty much, but that's the technical aspect of it. There was also a theoretical aspect that turned me off, which is the utter pointlessness of the game and my disagreement with the direction Konami was taking it. You could tell that it was all just a big cash grab and it still is and will be. It feels like they've really stopped caring about the players enjoying it. You can go back and make decks that were fun to play and relevant in 2008 and battle your friends for fun, for instance, but that's really you living in your own world and ignoring the reality of the situation, which is that Konami has made this game significantly less fun within the last 5-7 years.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

my yugioh comes from playing with friends. doing what most people would do to play a card game, having fun. not everyone likes that I can understand, but for most people that's just what it is.

I actually play with my friends every week, I ordered the rest of a new deck and I can't wait to show it off, it's Hieratic, Saffira Queen of the Dragons, Horus the black flame dragon and it is rad it's another one of my proudest decks although that psychic emperor one is just too good, my friend picked a random card on ygopro for me to make a deck around and that was the one

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EternalDarkness said:

Pretty much, but that's the technical aspect of it. There was also a theoretical aspect that turned me off, which is the utter pointlessness of the game and my disagreement with the direction Konami was taking it. You could tell that it was all just a big cash grab and it still is and will be. It feels like they've really stopped caring about the players enjoying it. You can go back and make decks that were fun to play and relevant in 2008 and battle your friends for fun, for instance, but that's really you living in your own world and ignoring the reality of the situation, which is that Konami has made this game significantly less fun within the last 5-7 years.

it has always been a cash grab, and that won't change. might as well make the best of that, right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

it has always been a cash grab, and that won't change. might as well make the best of that, right?

It was never so shameless. You can do what you feel like, I've quit the game a long time ago, as have many others. I see no point in returning. But it is interesting to see people still enjoying the game. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now