Overwatch General Discussion

foovy10

I am very surprised a thread for this game was not made yet.

This chat is for talking about anything Overwatch related.

Who do you guys plan on maining? I am really looking forward to playing Genji.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by foovy10

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bastion

Probably Genji, Lucio, or Reinhardt since those are my best so far. I would like to get better at McCree and Mei but my aim is eh at times. Sigh, the disadvantages of not playing with a desktop.

Also, they need to nerf Bastion by giving him some damage falloff or something as it's pretty ridiculous getting your health melted when you're like almost halfway across the map. And possibly Torb's turret as well. Both have ridiculous range with good damage.

my mains during beta were

Offensive: Reaper, Soldier:76

Defensive: Mei, Junkrat

Tank: Reinhardt, Roadhog

Support: Lucio, Symmetra

for the love of god I'm utterly useless with McCree, Genji, Hanzo and Widowmaker...

There isn't much variety to the gameplay yet, sadly enough. there's really only one way to lay each character, which really only changes very slight based on whether you are attacking or defending.

Most everyone dies quickly, so after very brief moments of action, it's very dead- either as you wait to respawn or you wait for the other team to respawn.

For a shooter, movement is very slow. Like the quick deaths, it means it takes that much longer between action sessions. I get that it adds value to mobility specials on characters, but it's not really a good action shooter if the fastest most characters can 'go is Sunday stroll through tar'.

Character imbalances are pretty obvious so far too. There are a lot of characters that never see use or any decent amount of success. There's a bunch of variety for variety's sake, but the balance was never looked at properly.

I should have expected a company that is used to making games where you point and click/press a button for actions and moves to make a shooter that thinks only snipers aim down sights. It feels so bad. It's supposed to be a first person shooter but it feels more like a slow, third person shooter. Like MGS, but that was purposely done to make the shooting feel bad and encourage you to sneak around instead. This looks and feels like it was made primarily for pc and mice. That's the only time this design choice would make sense because -point and click- it wouldn't matter.

Explosions/AoE damage. They're done pretty terribly in this game. Explosions like Soldier 76 and Zarya's secondary attacks have neither the splash nor the damage they should have. Visual effects are such that you actually can't see or tell the damage radius at all so you have to pay close attention to foe health bars to see if any part of it hit or not. They both have the trade off of being difficult to aim while traveling slower, without the benefits of either noteworthy damage or damage reach. And the reason to that is the terribly slow speed of everyone's movement. In any other shooter, if your character moved that slow, it would get eaten up by blasts and explosions because they wouldn't be able to escape them. They would be tanks and have ways of blocking or mitigating it. So in this game, explosive shots have the incredibly explosive damage radius of two feet. Just terrible game design, really.

Your own health meter is a little too small and out of the way to see clearly, especially in a firefight, when such information is incredibly to decisions such as pushing ahead or peeling off to heal. Also, the absolute lack of stagger or decent damage effect is weird to get used to. It can he hard to tell if I got hit or it really did miss. Other times shit flies straight at me and I'm sure it hit me, so I have to specifically look down to my health as see if anything happened and half the time nothing has.

So, characters I played and did well with:

Soldier76

Zarya

D. Va

So yeah, a lot of design choices and mistakes that prove how new the devs are to fps's.

There isn't much variety to the gameplay yet, sadly enough. there's really only one way to lay each character, which really only changes very slight based on whether you are attacking or defending.

Most everyone dies quickly, so after very brief moments of action, it's very dead- either as you wait to respawn or you wait for the other team to respawn.

For a shooter, movement is very slow. Like the quick deaths, it means it takes that much longer between action sessions. I get that it adds value to mobility specials on characters, but it's not really a good action shooter if the fastest most characters can 'go is Sunday stroll through tar'.

Character imbalances are pretty obvious so far too. There are a lot of characters that never see use or any decent amount of success. There's a bunch of variety for variety's sake, but the balance was never looked at properly.

I should have expected a company that is used to making games where you point and click/press a button for actions and moves to make a shooter that thinks only snipers aim down sights. It feels so bad. It's supposed to be a first person shooter but it feels more like a slow, third person shooter. Like MGS, but that was purposely done to make the shooting feel bad and encourage you to sneak around instead. This looks and feels like it was made primarily for pc and mice. That's the only time this design choice would make sense because -point and click- it wouldn't matter.

Explosions/AoE damage. They're done pretty terribly in this game. Explosions like Soldier 76 and Zarya's secondary attacks have neither the splash nor the damage they should have. Visual effects are such that you actually can't see or tell the damage radius at all so you have to pay close attention to foe health bars to see if any part of it hit or not. They both have the trade off of being difficult to aim while traveling slower, without the benefits of either noteworthy damage or damage reach. And the reason to that is the terribly slow speed of everyone's movement. In any other shooter, if your character moved that slow, it would get eaten up by blasts and explosions because they wouldn't be able to escape them. They would be tanks and have ways of blocking or mitigating it. So in this game, explosive shots have the incredibly explosive damage radius of two feet. Just terrible game design, really.

Your own health meter is a little too small and out of the way to see clearly, especially in a firefight, when such information is incredibly to decisions such as pushing ahead or peeling off to heal. Also, the absolute lack of stagger or decent damage effect is weird to get used to. It can he hard to tell if I got hit or it really did miss. Other times shit flies straight at me and I'm sure it hit me, so I have to specifically look down to my health as see if anything happened and half the time nothing has.

So, characters I played and did well with:

Soldier76

Zarya

D. Va

So yeah, a lot of design choices and mistakes that prove how new the devs are to fps's.

They are new to fps games so I don't blame them that much for how the game is atm but it does defiantly need some changes. They probably learned a ton through the beta which makes me even more excited to see how the game is when it comes out.

A lot of people say that you have to play different characters to beat Bastion which means he does not deserve a nerf but at the same time the way you get punished for letting a Bastion stay still for a small amount of time is kinda crazy.

Edited by foovy10

During the beta, at first I played Reaper the most but after a while I started getting into playing McCree a lot. Other characters I played a decent amount of was Reinhardt and Bastion. I'am absolutely garbage as Genji but I still want to play him anyway.....mostly just torture my friends :D

They are new to fps games so I don't blame them that much for how the game is atm but it does defiantly need some changes. They probably learned a ton through the beta which makes me even more excited to see how the game is when it comes out.

A lot of people say that you have to play different characters to beat Bastion which means he does not deserve a nerf but at the same time the way you get punished for letting a Bastion stay still for a small amount of time is kinda crazy.

I think I blame the mainstream hype and excitement for this game that people have in exclaiming that this is a great game already and somehow thing it offers more than battleborn.

The only thing overwatch has on battleborn is the way they've presented the character backstories and cutscenes. They're done extremely well.

But you know what, none of that translates into the gameplay at all.

In the beta, you could unlock one-liners for characters and unlock poses and costume colors... but that's kinda it as far as personality for the characters while in game. The one liners are kind of like a taunt that you can set from a selection of others you unlock from random loot box drops. The poses you get for you character you see only at the end of the match for 5 seconds, and only if you win. And even then, they're scrunched together like the stereotypical sports team photo.

In battleborn, every different taunt you unlock has more than one audio dialogue to go with it, adding variety to it every time you use it. When enemy characters are spotted as you move across the map, each character calls out that they see enemies and even have special callouts for specific enemies.

For example, I wouln't know Genji had anything to do with the archer if I hadn't seen that cool ass video. They don't say or do a damn thing if they run into each other in battle. But in Battleborn... well, take Marquis. He can spot the enemy as say "Look, the unwashed masses!" or "It's the financially destitute!". If he spots an enemy Isic, he may sometimes say "Us crazy robots should stick together!" or "There's my personal hero, or if he kills a phoebe, he can go a little bit of spiel about having conflicted emotions because by story she is the daughter of his former employer. Or upon killing Rath, he'll make fun of him, saying something isn't there some emo poetry he could be crying into his pillows about."

An Oscar Mike might see an enemy Oscar Mike on the field and say he's having an identity crisis (he's a clone trooper like in starwars and there is an entire planet of clones like him).

Hell, there's even special character dialogue in story missions based on who you choose to play as.

There are lots of nice videos and cinematics for the lore and story and ads for the characters in overwatch... but none of that is in the game so far. And I get the feeling that they'll have specific cutscenes for story missions when the full game comes out but that'll be it.

Even the basic units in starcraft games had more character in their varying selection and action dialogue than these Overwatch characters.

The beta had better be just a beta, because it is an incredibly bare bones beta, with only short, unsatisfying matches with no actual character to it.

As I heard Godot put it, Overwatch characters feel and are treated more like a different weapon loadout than they are characters.

So when I hear people are saying Overwatch is clearly better, I have to tell them their fanboyism is showing and it ain't pretty.

Overwatch has no story mode.

Yeah, I just read that in an article. And that the Beta was pretty much the full game. I think the only thing it didn't have was the full competitive thing available.

So there's just the few maps and the few game modes that pretty much play the same.

And with no storymode... it's like they're all fighting each other for no reason. There is no goal except for a really short, clunky shoot 'em up.

Well - Blizzard said that the game itself would be "just for fun", and that the story/lore would be told outside the game with the comics, videos etc.

although I'm also ab it sad that there is no story mode, because they could do so much with it... like a personalized story for each character... but, even if it's multiplayer only it is still fun to play, espacially with friends - and no current shooter form the past years was so good, as overwatch - for me.

howerver regarding the story OF THE ACTUAL GAME - which Blizzard stated, that there is no story, as mentioned before:

MY PERSONAL Headcanon is that the events in the game are actually... just a game! - or rather a simulation run by Winstons AI - Athena! and it fits perfectly!

Athena is the announcer of the game. You can play the same hero with as many players as you like, and Overwatch Agents work together with Talon - that would not be possible if it wasn't some kind of Computer simulation!

Winsotn Recalls the Overwatch Agents and they gather at WP:Gibraltar. They are hooked up to a VR-Machine to test their Combat prowness - because they haven't been in duty for a long time.

The Evil Guys, like Reaper, Winsotn got Data from him, because he is actually Gabriel Reyes... a former Overwatch Member. Widowmaker, he got Data from Reports from Tracer, who run into her a few times.

after the Events of the current short "Dragon" Hanzo might have decided to join Genji at Overwatch - prior to knowing that Genji is that Overwatch Ninja, Hanzo had NOTHING to do with Overwatch, because he was on a personal vendetta... being all Green Arrow/Batman against his own crime-family.

Winston and Athena are training the Overwatch agents with a VR-Simulation of Events THAT ALREADY HAPPENED! For events to come - because the in game world is a mess right now, and before they roll out to save the world once again, they need to learn to work together again!

Overwatch is most certainly a game for fun. During the beta I really enjoyed play with my mates. I wouldn't compare it to other shooters I've found it is far more fun as a party game It'll be a casual game to just play when you wanna just sit back and shoot at things without really trying to hard or worrying about progression. comfort gaming!

as for my mains I'm still undecided I got the most enjoyment from Junkrat and Pharrah so I'll probably end up maining one of them but as said before It doesn't really matter.

Also the lore can be an aspect of these nothing but one off matches games. It provides context for the world and just adds depth. Imagine how much more boring Overwatch or League would be if the characters didn't have personalities and preconceived relations. I love that the Heros In Overwatch say things to each other before the match starts and that couldn't happen without the lore. Not to mention Overwatch lore is really awesome and I hope they keep up the animated shorts and comics for a while.

true enough, it does strike me as more of a party game, when you put it that way. It really is a really casual shooter.

They put so much work and effort into backstory cutscenes and videos... and in the end, they're literally going to do nothing with it. Sad.

I'm also 100% certain they put more work into those videos than they did into the actual game. Also sad.

Just to keep the ball rolling.

Who were you playing when you got your first play of the game? Mine was Reinhardt.

also joke names for each character something me and my mates enjoy doing with these kinds of games. Can anyone else come up with some more?

Reaper- Edgelord, Edgy, Edgy the Edged Edge

D.Va- Waifu Bait, Samus' Little Sister

Widow Maker- Window Breaker

Torbjorn- Toblerone

Pharrah- Cloudy with a Chance of Justice

Junkrat- Max

Reinhardt- M.C. Hammer

Bastion- R2

Zenyatta- Zenyetti, Zen-Spaghetti

Lucio- Bangarang, Base Cannon

Finally, Roadhog's Take a Breather ability is straight out him huffing gasoline the canister has GAS printed on it and he hold it up to his air valve he's clearly huffing gasoline.

Genji can basically deflect kill Bastion, while Widowmaker and Hanzo can snipe him from afar. Reaper can also catch him unaware by flanking him.

As for any others, I can only safely say Tracer is an absolute NIGHTMARE for Reinhardt to deal with. She can just keep dashing to get behind his shield no matter which way he faces.

yeah... I don't get the Bastion hate...

I was on attack on Volskaya Industries, the enemy had 6 Bastions positioned around our spawn... and shredded us to bits the first seconds, and my team started to complain (in all chat of course):

"Bastion n00bs!" "Bastion OP plz nerf!!!111" etc...

so I was like:

me: "Oh come on guys... quit whining!"

Team: "(blablabla) how is this supposed to be fun???"

me: "How? ... do you want to see this 6 bastion group suffer?"

team: "oh god I want them so dead right now!!!"

me: "oh... don't bother to try and kill them... just keep them busy for a little longer... like by running into their line of fire... and watch..."

me: "and what ever you do... DO NOT kill any bastion! This is important so they don't respawn back at their base!!!!"

*switching from Reinhardt to Reaper*

going to a blind spot and teleport out of the spawn zone and run for the point... - while I see in the corner all those kills against my team - I'm capturing the first point...

and suddenly my team chat is like this:

"LOL!!!"

"ROFL!!!"

"SWEET!!!"

*teleporting ahead and running for the second point*

capturing it and in the distance I see 4 Bastions coming around the corner panicly shooting and try to shoot me!

Play of the Game - Me as Reaper - capturing the point... all alone, taunting the air - winning the game!

The Bastion-Team Rage-quitted in the score screen!

yeah... I don't get the Bastion hate...

I was on attack on Volskaya Industries, the enemy had 6 Bastions positioned around our spawn... and shredded us to bits the first seconds, and my team started to complain (in all chat of course):

"Bastion n00bs!" "Bastion OP plz nerf!!!111" etc...

so I was like:

me: "Oh come on guys... quit whining!"

Team: "(blablabla) how is this supposed to be fun???"

me: "How? ... do you want to see this 6 bastion group suffer?"

team: "oh god I want them so dead right now!!!"

me: "oh... don't bother to try and kill them... just keep them busy for a little longer... like by running into their line of fire... and watch..."

me: "and what ever you do... DO NOT kill any bastion! This is important so they don't respawn back at their base!!!!"

*switching from Reinhardt to Reaper*

going to a blind spot and teleport out of the spawn zone and run for the point... - while I see in the corner all those kills against my team - I'm capturing the first point...

and suddenly my team chat is like this:

"LOL!!!"

"ROFL!!!"

"SWEET!!!"

*teleporting ahead and running for the second point*

capturing it and in the distance I see 4 Bastions coming around the corner panicly shooting and try to shoot me!

Play of the Game - Me as Reaper - capturing the point... all alone, taunting the air - winning the game!

The Bastion-Team Rage-quitted in the score screen!

I just don't like him, gameplay or character wise. I'd rather play anyone else in the roster than him. He just seems really boring to play.

People don't like him because all people do when using him is hide in areas where people cant see him in turrent mode and spams his attack. also for doing just this he gets priority in the match for the mvp despite someone getting a triple and he just stands in areas.

People don't like him because all people do when using him is hide in areas where people cant see him in turrent mode and spams his attack. also for doing just this he gets priority in the match for the mvp despite someone getting a triple and he just stands in areas.

so you say is:

People hate him, because they don't know how to counter him and stupidly run into his line of fire over and over again...

and the Bastion PotG is in that case mostly not him being necesseraly good, but the enemy team being stupid... essentially creating a "DO NOT DO THIS of the game"

If you die more than twice to the same bastion, being in the exact same spot - you deserve it!