Follower Pokemon in Reborn

Personthing

With permission from Ame and Commander (so that I could make this for his Reborn hardcore mod as well), and quite a bit of work, (edited movement paths in 69 cutscenes, getting the damn scripts to even work, etc) I'd like to present a mod for Reborn that has the player's Pokemon follow them like in HGSS. Every single Pokemon has an overworld sprite, so even the Unova and Kalos mons follow the player.

Some Screenshots:

rm4w6mH.png

2VvTStI.png

glr9fJb.png

otFzHN5.png

u7RNGD2.png

v4wldJ2.png

94cYO9a.png

HaYxZLX.png

TYepPyE.png

yeNDw1E.png

QB4PLLP.png

Follower Pokemon start following the Pokemon at this point in the game:

The intro fights with Cain and Victoria.

Or, if you already have a file in progress, just heal your Pokemon at a healing machine or Nurse.

Follower Pokemon are disabled at these points in the game:

Whenever the player is partnered with an NPC trainer.

Some additional features include:

The ability to cycle through party members with the A key, so that you don't have to go into the party menu every time you want to

change leads.

You can press the control key to toggle follower Pokemon. Not sure why you'd download this to do that, but it's here.

Area specific messages in quite a few maps.

Flying types, water types, and pokemon with levitate still follow the player when surfing. This however leads to a bug that if your

lead pokemon is the pokemon you are surfing on, it'll still follow you. While you are surfing on it...

Known bugs:

Follower Pokemon absolutely hate bridges over water. There aren't many of those, but the most memorable instance is the bridge

in Agate during the cutscene where the player and Cain enter Agate. During this instance, the follower Pokemon's sprite will overlap with the players. Same goes for cutscenes that have the player using waterfall. This fixes itself when you are off the bridge/waterfall.

During cutscenes, if the player is facing towards the follower Pokemon and there is currently no dialogue (EX: a character is moving around without talking) it is possible to talk to to the follower Pokemon mid-cutscene. This does not break any cutscene, and they resume as normal when the Pokemon's dialogue box goes away.

During the raid on Sigmund's orphanage, you cannot leave until it's over. I have a bit of a story behind this one, so here we go:

The events where Shelly joins the player absolutely refused to cooperate. I never had this problem with any other NPC, but when you would leave the orphanage and Shelly would rejoin the player, she would be invisible when following the player. When I fixed that, she instead would be invisible when she initially joins. Her sprite would also return to it's initial position whenever you'd leave the room, (like when you'd have to go upstairs) so there'd be two Shellys on the map. My solution here isn't perfect, but now you can't leave until the raid is over, and Shelly doesn't turn invisible for the most part... After she joins the player though, she'll be invisible until the player makes their first movement, and after that she doesn't turn invisible at all. I don't even know what caused all these issues, literally all I did was put in the script that disabled follower Pokemon into the event, and that didn't cause issues for any other NPC follower.

I experienced some lag in Chrysolia forest, a little bit during some parts of route 2, and bizarrely enough this section of the Obsidia Ward (everywhere else in the Obsidia Ward was fine):

13qTE8n.png

But my computer isn't that strong (can't even run Overwatch at a decent frame rate at the absolute lowest settings lmao), so take that as you will.

Another important thing to note is this NPC in every Pokemon Center and Agate Circus:

aIwloCd.png

If you want to transfer to a version of regular Reborn/the new episode whenever it comes out, you absolutely have to talk to this NPC, as if follower Pokemon are still enabled when transferring versions the game will crash whenever you try to load your file. If you talk to them by accident, all you gotta do is heal your Pokemon to enable them again.

Will I update this for future episodes?: Yes. I have a list of all of my changes saved, so it shouldn't take more than a few days to update for each new episode.

How will I handle Gen 7 mons when that happens?: I am pretty garbage at spriting, not gonna lie. Unless some people were willing to lend a hand (which I would feel guilty about as I would be unable to pay for any assistance) I'm probably just gonna use place holder sprites for them.

Downloads:

Regular Reborn: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rj92588boj9zopv/Follower+Pokemon+in+Reborn+v1.01.rar

Commander's Reborn Hardcore mod: http://download1342.mediafire.com/00662cm2q35g/h7gk33tsay2g88s/Follower+Pokemon+Reborn+Hardcore+v1.01.rar

Credits: Mej71 of the Pokecommunity forums for the base script I had to edit.

The Suzerain and the rest of the insurgence dev team for the Unova and Kalos mons overworld sprites.

If you find any crashes, send me your save file so that I can recreate and fix it. I hope you guys enjoy this.

Edited by Personthing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I download this, how do I implement it so I can continue my save file where I currently am (Radomus gym)? I'm pretty bad with computers.

Just have a nurse at a pokemon center heal your Pokemon, or use a healing machine such as the one in Radmous' gym.

The reason this wasn't really implemented I believe had something to do with followers such as Aya or Fern in various parts of the game.

I have the events set that follower Pokemon are completely disabled (you can't toggle them back on when they are disabled) when partners such as Fern join the player, and aside from the mentioned Shelly incident I came across no issues. Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding you.
Edited by Personthing

I must say Kudos to you for accomplishing quite the task. I really applaud you for your hard work. And yeah, I did know about this earlier and I already got what I asked for out of it. My only concern is the lag but other than that I love it. It's also cool you put in some nice dialogue for different areas to boot.

Just got around to trying it out, and I freaking love this. Reborn sometimes felt lonely, so now that we have some followers, it's sure to feel less so. I would say that it would be great for the shiny forms to match their sprites, but seeing as every Pokemon has gotten a make over, I know that that would be a intensive and difficult project. Thank you for this, this is sure to add to the fun of Reborn!

I already said it in the rejuvination version with this kind of stuff but you have some clipping and some weird stuff with escavalier. Also what is with all the lines that just seem to fuel rule 34 of the internet?

Edited by FairFamily

Also what is with all the lines that just seem to fuel rule 34 of the internet?

Eh? Basically all of the lines are from hgss originally, so I'm not sure what you mean there? For the escavalier thing I'll look into it.

Edited by Personthing

Eh? Basically all of the lines are from hgss originally, so I'm not sure what you mean there? For the escavalier thing I'll look into it.

Well, my loppuny is blushing at me, hugging me and rubbing up on me. It gets even more suggestive when a gardevoir does it. Maybe I'm perverse but what do I have to think when the game says a gardevoir is rubbing up on me?

Hats off to you, my friend. You have accomplished the single greatest and arguably most universally loved overworld feature of any Pokémon game. I cannot express how glad I am that I can finally have my hunks of metal follow me around as I traipse about Reborn.

I look forward to this being implemented for e16 too, when it should arrive.

So I downloaded the file. What do I extract or move to update my game to use this mod on my current save file?

Just do what you would do for Regular Reborn, and extract the base folder with every other folder in it.

Edited by Personthing

OK, downloaded and extracted it. Tried to use the healing machine in the research center on Route 1, nothing about follower Pokemon activated. Tried pressing Shift key, just tried to active my registered item.

Thanks for catching that. Made me go through the files again in RPG maker XP, and it turns out I did miss the healing machines in the nature center in route 1. I'll get to uploading a fix for that ASAP, but it'll take awhile because the files are large.

Edited by Personthing

Thanks for catching that. Made me go through the files again in RPG maker XP, and it turns out I did miss the healing machines in the nature center in route 1. I'll get to uploading a fix for that ASAP, but it'll take awhile because the files are large.

From personal experience, I suggest waiting a week or two as other errors will likely arise. Only get an upload up ASAP if there is a critical error causing crashes or corrupting save files. Those are very, very rare though.

From personal experience, I suggest waiting a week or two as other errors will likely arise. Only get an upload up ASAP if there is a critical error causing crashes or corrupting save files. Those are very, very rare though.

Any healing machine/nurse missed is actually kind of critical, so I need to catch those.

I went through every single event that sets the trainer's spawn point again twice to be absolutely sure, and that should be the only one I missed.

EDIT: Updated for both versions.

Edited by Personthing

Oh good. I thought I screwed something up. Well, heading to the psychic castle so I can see what my Pokemon say when I go down to the Arceus fight.

• 3 months later...
  • Developers

This looks awesome. Btw, I think I've seen a topic somewhere with an ongoing project of overworld shiny sprites. That might be a nice addition too. Can't find the topic now though.

Also would it be possible to put this into the original Reborn in the future?

EDIT: Found the topic with shinies but unfortunately the project seems dead. http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20440

Edited by baldr