Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

Apparently yesterday's big announcement got leaked this morning via European Trademarking. Recently Nintendo trademarked the names and logos for a couple of games called "Pokemon Sun" and "Pokemon Moon" which obviously is the 7th generation.

lOx8TgG.png

QEvBMce.png

This of course brings quite a few questions to the table. ie.

Will we see some new starters tomorrow?

Will this game be on 3DS, New 3DS, or NX?

What new mechanic will be added? Will we see a new type or a type chart rebalancing? New Mega Evolutions? Will they fix the overleveling problem in the game?

How will the graphics look? Will they be a major upgrade from X,Y, OR, or AS?

What is "Sun and Moon?" What mythical Entity will this be based on? Gen 2 was shrine birds, gen 3 was Pseudo Judaism, Gen 4 was Creationism, Gen 5 was Yin and Yang, and lastly we had gen 6 with Norse Mythology.

Where will this region take place? There were some rumors claiming that Italy or England may be prime candidates.

Aaaaand those are all the questions I can think of atm.

• Upvote 6

Hm... This certainly is an intriguing moment. I guess we'll see tomorrow. I hope it's a legit thing anyway, but I guess I'll retain a bit of healthy scepticism.

I'd like 7th Gen games to be optimised so there was absolutely no lag, since I found a bit in triple battles and 3D battles in ORAS, even on my New 3DS.

Maybe they'll add a really radical new mechanic. Shake up the competitive battling ground even more so than Fairy and Megas.

Edited by Spineblade

Let's play pretend.

Let's pretend you are an employee of a major company. Let's pretend you have an idea for a new product. It is a wonderful idea, your boss is proud of you, he talks to the higher-ups and they are fully willing to invest in it, and turn your idea into the company's next big thing. However, the company is currently in the middle of an important effort concerning a different product, and they are afraid that having BOTH products on the market at the same time might be detrimental for business. They therefore decide to postpone your idea and to focus on the product that is already out for the time being.

Now let's pretend that one year or two have passed since you first came up with the idea. The company decides that now is the time to invest in it and launch it on the market but, when you begin working on it, you find out that the name you had planned for it, and/or some core elements that are invaluable for it, have already been trademarked by someone else. That would be a major issue, wouldn't it? And mind, you, this is not as preposterous an idea as it might seem: all it takes is an unfaithful employee, who sells info concerning the company's ideas to an external party. The external party thanks the employee, goes to trademark the ideas he leaked to them, and just like that you are screwed.

To avoid such scenarios, it is a common practice, among companies worldwide, to always trademark any new idea they come up with, just to be safe: maybe they will eventually turn those ideas into actual products, maybe they won't, but either way, they want to be sure that nobody can steal them while they are busy with something else. For example, after Pokemon Black and White were launched, Nintendo immediately trademarked a name and a logo for "Pokemon Gray"... And we all know how that turned out.

With this, I am not saying that we are not going to get Gen 7. I am not saying that tomorrow's Nintendo Direct will not be about new Pokemon games (2016 marks 20 years of Pokemon after all, it would be foolish for the company NOT to release a new game for such an important milestone). I am simply saying that this "trademark leak" proves nothing, so you people shouldn't make such a fuss about it. There is only one truth in this situation, and it is this: you will not know what Nintendo wants you to know until they decide that it is time for you to know. In other words, you will know about Gen 7 when a Nintendo Direct is made about it. Until then, all you read around the internet is nothing but rumors, blatant lies, or big uproars built on something as commonplace as a precaution trademark.

I, for one, refuse to believe any non-Nintendo Direct source. The internet is the promised land of scams, after all.

• Upvote 1

Why are we even assuming that these titles refer to Gen VII games? Assuming that these trademarks turn out to be titles for games that are in development, there's no evidence that they link to Gen VII.

Before you guys say that the titles seem nothing connected with XY, you have to remember, GameFreak is no stranger to surprising us. Just look at Black 2 and White 2 after everyone was expecting Gray. For all we know, these could be Generation 6.5 games.

So calm down, people. Stop jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

Edited by Hiss13

Apparently, some people say this tweet by Masuda confirms that these are real.

It translates to: "Even though the sun is still out, the moon is large, and shining brightly. The birds are also chirping (laugh)"

Pokemon Bird Version confirmed to be the third version.

*runs*

Ever since Pearl and Diamond came out I thought that having Pokemon Sun and Moon would be awesome, I even made poorly designed legendaries in my mind which was a lion with a sun for its mane and a wolf who looked some how had moons involved in its design. If this is real I'd be really happy and younger me can complain about how Nintendo/Gamefreak copied me.

Personally, I think it's a bit early to talk about a new gen right away. But that's exactly what I thought back in January '13, so I'm not sure about what to think. Gamefreak is unpredictable.

Maybe they'll simply thank us for giving them money all this years. Oh, and remind us of Pokkén and GO.

I mean is it possible that's it's the new gen? Yea. Is it also possible it's just a coincidence since people look into any trademark a company ever files these days? Yeeeep.

I mean Let's wait for he DIrect before we go bananas here folks. We have two images ((and well that new Pokemon reveal possibly.)) to go on, so let's not jump ahead of ourselves while we've got pretty much nothing to go on. It'd be cool, but who knos what they are doing? We really don't at this point XD. I suppose we'll find out pretty soon though.

To be honest here, there is only a small leaf of proof Jeri. I'm not gonna fly off the handle and say there really is a Sun and Moon game yet, however it hasn't been done yet. On to the real meat of evidence, the extra year the Pokemon team may have taken without a game could mean they were developing something big. Also, it's been about 3 years since XY came out. I'd really think next year would be Gen 7, but between BW and XY, it has been 2 years, breaking the pattern. Plus no XY 2 or Z or Delta Emerald could mean a couple things. Then again it could be time for a Sinnoh or Kanto remake too.

Or Masuda could pull a Sakurai and give us something totally out of left field. I say BS till tomorrow.

ORAS made quite an appearance. The Hoehn remakes made every fan go crazy, since this is a region that introduced several mechanics as well as upgrade the graphics with a whole new map, evil team, purpose of our PC etc etc. Moreover people online were asking for it every chance they got, and frankly speaking, nobody is bored with them yet. The people do not ask for a new gen. XY made some gameplay changes, for the best, and now people are trying to become even better and explore all opportunities. For some at college, and GF/Nintendo know their fanbase, time spent playing is so little, they can afford to wait 1 or 2 more years. The metagame in higher tiers is pretty much balanced, lower tiers mainly need boosts to certain mons and new megas, but the poke-pool is good. Plus I do not think there's a need for an adjustment in the game mechanics. They work well enough and I am afraid certain changes might hinder the game more than they would benefit.

If nothing else, a sequel for Gen6 is what you should expect. Grey never came out, and neither will Sun/Moon. It makes more sense to work on an adventure in Kalos with expanded story, features, maps than make a whole new one, and expect Sinnoh remakes right after. Apart from that, 3DS is a new console, meaning that upgrades would be needed graphic-wise as well, something the console may not be up for the task.

At the same time, as Tomas explained, it makes no sense for 2 products to be released at the same time. Pokken IS a breakthrough for Pokemon and a turn to a different type of game, something unique to have when celebrating 20 years of success. Why ruin it with just another pokemon "gotta catch 'em all" rpg? It is just not a plausible scenario. Too much work, too little time passed since the last game, the last game was a success, there's another big project on the way => releasing a new generation is just too much trouble for the little profit it will bring.

Let's just hope you are right and I am wrong. From what I see now, I'll just say I'd hate to see you disappointed.

I'd think these would be the next games since they actually have logos unlike other trademarked games, but the other Zygarde forms and Volcanion make me think that they'd finish Gen 6 first (unless these are actually Gen 6.5 games). But I guess we will find out tomorrow~

• Supporter

ORAS made quite an appearance. The Hoehn remakes made every fan go crazy, since this is a region that introduced several mechanics as well as upgrade the graphics with a whole new map, evil team, purpose of our PC etc etc. Moreover people online were asking for it every chance they got, and frankly speaking, nobody is bored with them yet. The people do not ask for a new gen. XY made some gameplay changes, for the best, and now people are trying to become even better and explore all opportunities. For some at college, and GF/Nintendo know their fanbase, time spent playing is so little, they can afford to wait 1 or 2 more years. The metagame in higher tiers is pretty much balanced, lower tiers mainly need boosts to certain mons and new megas, but the poke-pool is good. Plus I do not think there's a need for an adjustment in the game mechanics. They work well enough and I am afraid certain changes might hinder the game more than they would benefit.

If nothing else, a sequel for Gen6 is what you should expect. Grey never came out, and neither will Sun/Moon. It makes more sense to work on an adventure in Kalos with expanded story, features, maps than make a whole new one, and expect Sinnoh remakes right after. Apart from that, 3DS is a new console, meaning that upgrades would be needed graphic-wise as well, something the console may not be up for the task.

At the same time, as Tomas explained, it makes no sense for 2 products to be released at the same time. Pokken IS a breakthrough for Pokemon and a turn to a different type of game, something unique to have when celebrating 20 years of success. Why ruin it with just another pokemon "gotta catch 'em all" rpg? It is just not a plausible scenario. Too much work, too little time passed since the last game, the last game was a success, there's another big project on the way => releasing a new generation is just too much trouble for the little profit it will bring.

Let's just hope you are right and I am wrong. From what I see now, I'll just say I'd hate to see you disappointed.

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but...

Pokken isn't developed or published by Nintendo/Game Freak. Also, comparing the release of a game like this to a main series release is a bit of a skewed comparison. That's like comparing PMD: Gates to Infinity and B2W2, which both launched in the same year within months of each other. The games are niche enough that their release wouldn't impact each other, unlike if two main series games did that.

Further, I do agree that the likelihood of seeing Gen VII announced tomorrow is pretty low. The 3DS (which is coming up on five years old, so it's definitely not a "new" console by any stretch of the imagination) still has a bit of life left in it, not to mention that there is precedence to see a title launch on an older console to take advantage of install-base, push last minute sales, etc. I'm talking about Gen V and the 3DS. The 3DS was announced in early 2010, released a year or so later, but we didn't get any main series 3DS games until 2013 with XY -- meanwhile B2W2 launched on the DS in 2012. Keep in mind, we don't even have that much information on whatever the new platform will be. Also keep in mind that there has never been a cross platform generation (ie main series games on two different platforms -- all of Gen III was on GBA, all of Gen IV was on DS, etc). I highly doubt they'd launch Gen VII and tether themselves to the 3DS for another few years.

Continuing, because I'm on a roll at this point... have you ever actually taken a look at the development cycles for these games? "Too much work." Multiple teams work on multiple games simultaneously. Masuda (whose tweet about the moon is a bit too suspicious for me to ignore given that he's teased new games with "innocuous" content before) develops all the main series core games (eg: RS, DP, BW, XY) and the "third versions" but hardly ever the "remakes." Guess what Masuda didn't direct? If you guessed ORAS, please send me a message and I'll ensure your cookies are delivered. I will note that he didn't direct B2W2, but to be fair, he needed to concentrate on XY for the 3DS given it was a completely new platform. Which brings us to our next point: "too little time." Tying into the development cycle is that of their timing. Do you know how many years in the 20 year time span that we've had that haven't seen a main line game release? Seven (1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, and now 2015). The general trend between the main series core games and their third versions is two years. XY were released in 2013, ORAS in 2014. We're looking at 3 years now between the core and the hypothetical third versions. If we don't get any kind of game at all this year, which would be two years in a row that we don't get a game... then I'm a duck. So, yeah. The "third version" theory is probably the most likely, with the 3 year gap being due to a clever marketing decision to leverage the 20th anniversary or because we're going to get a really freaking special game out of the deal.

Tl;dr -

• Gen VII probably not happening
  • The odds of us not getting a new game this year are astronomical.
  • I explain about how the development of Pokémon games works.
Edited by AiedailEclipsed
  • Upvote 1