One of the things that i hate is...

Nhadala

Excessive Comedy, now, you might be thinking "you arent fun at parties" or something, but hear me out first.

You know that feeling when you see the premise of an anime and you go "this sounds interesting, i wonder how this will go" only for then for the comedy to be so excessive that it eliminates any interesting story elements?

I cant explain it very well, but shows that have that that stood out to me are: Blood Lad(i remember this from a loooong time ago, so my memorys fuzzy) and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

If you watch one of these ull know exactly what i mean by that.

A perfect example of a perfect balance of a lot of comedy and storytelling and/or characters is actually chinese, its Cupids Chocolates, it has a lot of comedy, but it doesnt overwhelm the characters or the story, theres a perfect balance of it, its quite good, you guys should watch it so that you can see what i mean.

This is just a small rant i had to do, these anime arent bad, i know people who appreciate these shows, but i got completely bummed out and dissapointed when they were those kind of shows.

one punch man in a nutshell for me, it just constantly tried to make me laugh with the same joke. the show doesn't even try to make up with the action/story. it never gives you any motives to find the fight scenes hype-inducing and instead keeps relying on that bad humor to make up for it.

• Support Squad

My favourite way to see comedy be used is in the beginning of a show to endear you to the characters. That way, if the show decides to develop Cerebus syndrome, you're already invested in seeing the characters get through whatever situation is ailing them and thus makes you want to cheer for them.

Example:

Bobby of Binbougami ga! A comedy show that has the occasional Cerbeus sydrome inflicted Arc.

Bobby is the perverted priest meant to be used to make the dirty jokes. the one who gets abused by the women for peeping. Throughout most of the series, he is purely used for comedic value.

So when this man does something useful? When he saves everyone's ass from what is literally a permanent death? In a way that is perfectly representative of him? Holy shit I have never cheered for a guy so much to go beyond his perverted limits.

Same goes for a fair few other characters within the same series.

But comedy does go wrong.

Take Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso. Your Lie In April. A Drama/Romance with a sprinkling of comedy to break the tension and lighten the mood in the same way a rollercoaster will have a rise before it whisks you away. Getting the appropriate height for the drop as it were. What went wrong here for me? In the later episodes the feels coaster was well underway. They tried inserting comedy that really slowed that feels train down a lot. It ended up taking away from the ending rather than helping and ultimately made what could have been a heart wrenching series a tear-jerker for me. Yes, there is a distinction.

As for the shows you mentioned in the OP, I think you're asking from the show something they haven't promised you much. Blood Lad is part action so the "story" is more a plot device to facilitate that action and the wacky adventures the characters go on. Todorov's equilibrium theory essentially explains what's going to happen in the long term. Easy.

For the second show, Subarashi sekai, you need to slow down there. The show has 3 episodes currently aired and also hasn't given any hints of anything more than a hijinks filled adventure. It could develop a super serious case of Cerebus syndrome that makes it rival shows like Death note or Elfen Lied in terms of edge but it's highly unlikely and you're really kidding yourself if you expect anything like that to happen. At most, the series will end up with a friendship trumps evil confrontation with the Demon lord. The story has to have a resolution after all.

Simply put, not everyone is out to write a serious story and it's unfair to judge them on if they do that. Embrace the comedy. If it isn't up your alley, don't watch. It's not like you signed a contract.

• Support Squad

The life of Satou Kazuma, a hikikomori who likes games, all too soon came to an end because of a traffic accident... It was supposed to, but when he woke up, a beautiful girl who called herself a goddess was in front of his eyes.

"Hey, I have got something a little nice for you. Wanna go to another world? You can take only one thing of your choice along with you."

"...then I'll take you."

From here on, the great adventure of subjugating the Demon King will begin for the reincarnated Kazuma... Or so one would think, but it's the labor for obtaining food, clothing and shelter that begins! Despite Kazuma wanting to live in peace, the goddess keeps causing problems one after another, and eventually, they attract the attention of the Demon King's army!?

Taken straight from MAL, how does this not describe an episodic comedy show? How does it suggest a serious plot when you've got phrases like "A hikikomori who likes games" "A beautiful girl who called herself a goddess" and "Demon King", all incredibly standard stuff in the recent anime seasons?

Hell, in the speech quotes given, the tone of the Goddess does nothing to set it up as serious. It does the opposite, it plays down that aspect with the adjectives "A little nice". That does not scream serious plot to me.

It implies different things to different people, to me it seemed serious with a tone of comedy in it, not overly comedic like it really is.

It should have just been done like Cupids Chocolates in terms of story and comedy, would have been miles better for me to watch that way.

Edited by Nhadala

I just hate being dissapointed like that, i absolutely hate it when i get dissapointed in such a fashion.

I take everything with a grain of salt of course but it sounded similar to one other show or manga that had a similar premise and i thought i finally found another one with similar plot to the other one that i liked and i got excited.

And im sure im not the only one who thought it would at least be a tad bit serious, because that premise to me doesnt make the show seem overly comedic, it makes it sound like a show that has good amount of comedy but not one that overshadows and overwhelms the story of the show.

The feeling isnt hate its dissapointment.

Edited by Nhadala