Winter/Spring Anime Season 2015

Felicity

• Support Squad

So, the 2015 fall season is coming to an end and, to help segment and archive our reactions and speculations for each season, this thread is being made.

So, which shows do you like the look of most next season? I'm not going to lie, I haven't seen anything of interest for me, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a few I haven't been paying attention to.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I haven't seen a list so I'll get back to you sometime today or not today idk

But Dana brought a new KyoAni thing to my attention that I will be obligated to watch because KyoAni. ...if it's even this season. I don't know anything yet ;_;

In any case remind me to pin this once the fall season ends, and I'll take a look at the winter season's stuff when I finish mowing the lawn so that this post isn't completely useless.

EDIT: whoops, didn't notice it was already pinned because I got here from the Recent Topics thing. Nevermind that then.

• Support Squad

I haven't seen a list so I'll get back to you sometime today or not today idk

But Dana brought a new KyoAni thing to my attention that I will be obligated to watch because KyoAni. ...if it's even this season. I don't know anything yet ;_;

In any case remind me to pin this once the fall season ends, and I'll take a look at the winter season's stuff when I finish mowing the lawn so that this post isn't completely useless.

EDIT: whoops, didn't notice it was already pinned because I got here from the Recent Topics thing. Nevermind that then.

Praise having Arkhidonger on hand

Whiat's KyoAni putting out this season? And is it a departure from the school setting or naw?

Praise having Arkhidonger on hand

Whiat's KyoAni putting out this season? And is it a departure from the school setting or naw?

it's more a kyoukai no kanata type of kyoani show, action/supernatural. it's called musaigen no phantom world.

man, every single time kyoani or pa works does some sort of anime set in school or with supernatural elements, i just refuse to get hyped for it. every time i do, they turn out to be so much worse than they seemed to be, and by the end of it, it's just another show that combines a bunch of cliches/ideas already seen before in anime with terrible execution.

that said, i will expect just that from musaigen no phantom world and haruchika. it's just unlikely they'll actually be good, at best they might be decent. not worth getting hyped about and then experiencing disappointment.

edit: also the female lead has big bouncy tattas. i dont know why i thought that would be relevant.

Edited by Gore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

... That is a pretty good opening tbh. Your link didn't work because MURICA so I went and found a different one.

Is this different somehow, like, pitched or otherwise edited?

Anyway, I finally got around to looking at the list and opening my mind a little more (i guess?) and so, in order of how hyped they are on MAL:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31859/Hai_to_Gensou_no_Grimgar

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31043/Boku_dake_ga_Inai_Machi

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31442/Musaigen_no_Phantom_World

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31710/Divine_Gate

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28391/Ao_no_Kanata_no_Four_Rhythm

These are what I'm going to end up giving a shot without knowing anything about any of them beyond the summaries (and that one of them is kyoani). DRRRx2 would be on the list but I never finished the second part last season. I'll do that eventually. Probably. I'm a little wary of the last two given their sources, though.

If anything else is brought to my attention by the usual group (that is, probably wes and dana) I'll also probably check those out.

I'm basically the worst anime fan tbh.

• Administrators

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2016/tv

This site is a nice reference for things btw.

I don't generally commit to watching most things off the bat, (though I've already wanted to watch the PSO2 anime) but the other ones I might keep an eye on are...

Musaigen no Phantom World

Shoujotachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Luck and Logic

Scwarzesmarken

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

and for movies, I'll definitely watch Alice in Dreamland and Selector Destructed WIXOSS

Wait, the anime adaptation of Grimgar comes out this year? I'mma have to watch it. I stumbled upon a small little fangroup for it somehow a while back (I don't even know how. It felt like I was viewing the hidden pages of the internet) and it sounded pretty cool.

So, I think it's Gensou, the newest "Trapped in a game" shtick show.

Why is it so hyped? Is it like, SAO Aincrad arc minus the timeskips and Kirito?

Kirito's frickin' cool fmgsdfjhKJKHWI;O

But anyway, I didn't even know it was hyped. When I found it a while back when there were only LNs, it looked like something really unknown. Though I'm guessing when the anime was announced, description was posted, and people were like "Oh cool, another virtual reality anime. HYPE!"

Tbh, I can't blame people for hyping it. VR is cool, and the fan page I stumbled upon seemed to have a very good opinion of the LNs at least. The art look pretty good too.

why is kyoani a popular studio again?

cWd9WGt.gif

ah yes. couldnt care for the generic show. still gonna watch this only for those 10/10 boobs physics.

other than this, the only other show that already aired an episode is prince of stride, i think. honestly, the only thing currently stopping me from continuing that show is that i can already see the amount of generic friendship/nakama bullshit coming, which is so common on sports anime. and the fact that tumblr and the retarded fangirls who watch it only for the hot dudes will most likely ruin the show as they have been doing with every popular sports anime in existence. except for free. free was ruined to being with.

... That is a pretty good opening tbh. Your link didn't work because MURICA so I went and found a different one.

Is this different somehow, like, pitched or otherwise edited?

the original one's quality is better, so you'll be pleasantly surprised once the first episode comes out :].

Scwarzesmarken

don't watch this unless you've played the games it originates from, muv luv and muv luv alternative. the spin-offs are average, but alternative is a fucking masterpiece.

So, I think it's Gensou, the newest "Trapped in a game" shtick show.

Why is it so hyped? Is it like, SAO Aincrad arc minus the timeskips and Kirito?

more a-1 pictures shounen ln garbage, sure why not. no offense to good a-1 pictures novel adaptations tho, such as shinsekai yori.

Yea, those physics oml. I'll eventually drop it as well. I was so disappointed that Sushi Police is CG animated. I thought it would have some 90's animation feel that I actually like alot.

I'll edit this post or make a new one on my thoughts on HaruChika once it airs/I watch it.

• Administrators

why is kyoani a popular studio again?

cWd9WGt.gif

ah yes. couldnt care for the generic show. still gonna watch this only for those 10/10 boobs physics.

idk about you but I like them for Hyouka and Chuunibyou, both of which are among my top favorite anime, and their art style in general. Not so much this, but I'm sure this isn't the only reason they're popular.

(PS way to single out one thing and dismiss the rest as a whole and then use that one thing you singled out as a "reason" to keep watching)

That said, I can't say I feel very strongly for this series yet, but that's kind of a given with only one episode. The things I expect for sure from KyoAni lately are good animation and cute girls and so far those exist.

And speaking of one episode, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (I guess the english title is "ERASED" idk a shorthand to call it by) aired today, so I checked that out. Having only watched Sakurako-san last season, and Hyouka long before that, I'm not exactly a mystery anime expert so I can't necessarily comment on this quite yet. Will probably keep watching, but a comment mentioned something about how they adapted the entire first volume in the first episode, so maybe that's a cause for disappointment to the manga readers.

idk about you but I like them for Hyouka and Chuunibyou, both of which are among my top favorite anime, and their art style in general. Not so much this, but I'm sure this isn't the only reason they're popular.

(PS way to single out one thing and dismiss the rest as a whole and then use that one thing you singled out as a "reason" to keep watching)

That said, I can't say I feel very strongly for this series yet, but that's kind of a given with only one episode. The things I expect for sure from KyoAni lately are good animation and cute girls and so far those exist.

that is the exact reason why I don't like them. other than haruhi and maybe one or two more shows, they only focus on cute girls, fanservice and recycle a bunch of ideas, rather than writing a decent show. I enjoy laid back series which you can watch without thinking that much about them in depth, but watching a bunch of cute little anime girls pissing around for no reason isn't "enjoyable" to me, especially if the comedy is bad.

as for erased, I haven't had the time to watch the first episode yet but I have very high expectations. a volume per episode seems brutally rushed, but that really depends on how the dialogue is done and how much pages each chapter has. furthermore, a-1 pictures is famous for butchering shounens and condensing about 100 chapters worth of story into two cours. still, somehow, some of their adaptations don't turn out that bad and remain relatively consistent (magi, nanatsu no taizai). script writer is also experienced in properly adapting manga (shounen manga, if that counts), so i don't think they'll fuck this up. i hope so, at least.

ah, btw, the show isn't necessarily mystery, just seems to me like a mature psychological/seinen, but you should be ok either way.

also, not sure if anyone else has noticed yet, but thursdays/fridays are looking pretty fucking amazing to me.

• Administrators

That's fair enough; admittedly I tried watching Tamako Market a while ago because of the movie existing and seeing some of the art, but I couldn't make myself finish it for more or less that reason. (I did make it all the way to like episode 10-11, in my defense)

@ Erased - I haven't read the source obviously because I'm a super casual, so I can't really tell you how well it's done, but in the same vein as someone who doesn't know anything about the series, it still seemed relatively interesting. I'd be interested in hearing what someone else who does know about it has to say, beyond the aforementioned comment about how rushed it looked already.

ok, after watching the first episode of erased I have to say I'm very glad that they did things like this. I could imagine this "prologue" being split into 3 or 4 episodes, seeing as the episode was more or less split into 4 parts, but if they did that, they would have to extend the dialogue by a lot and perhaps even add some filler dialogue. instead, they chose to show only the important parts that really matter to the actual story. no filler. no shitty/terribly written/philosophical/pretentious dialogue like a-1 pictures did with subete ga f ni naru: the garbage insider (remember kids, you can't smoke underwater). at first, I really feared they would make this error thus ruining the show by a bit, given the main character's internal monologue and the questions he was asking himself when the episode started. rather than that, as soon as the introduction was over, they didn't hesitate to start telling the story and presented the show extremely well. also, going to have to talk about this very obvious similarity to a few other shows under a spoiler tag:

ah yes. another going back in time in order to save someone type of show. except this one is actually doing things right.

madoka relies on shock factor too much and turns into a boring melodrama after a while, as it becomes very childish and annoying. concepts are also too simple even for a magic show. i did not care of a single character or their motivations by the end.

steins;gate was extremely slow-paced in comparison to this, and that's not a good thing. just as i mentioned before, erased knows what it needs to present to the viewers and does that right without introducing shitty filler moments. steins;gate had at least two completely useless characters in rukako and faris (i could also argue moeka to some extent), who have character arcs that are, not only boring, but also 90% filler. i get that the first half was more or less a slice of life romcom with the time travelling plot point mixed into it, but the show still had too many unnecessary moments.

charlotte shouldn't even be worth mentioning, but basically all jun maeda did was copy a bunch of ideas and concepts and absolutely fuck everything up when it came down to execution.

as for erased, even for one episode, it's doing really well. as I mentioned, it is perfectly consistent and well paced, with nothing too much "filler". the presentation is great and the character monologues help the viewers understand their perspective really well. finally, unlike madoka, steins;gate or even charlotte, instead of having characters who go back in time of their own free will, I find it really interesting how on erased the mc actually ended up in that situation due to an accident. really gotta wonder how he feels about this and what he's going to do from there.

o and dat title tho. "erased" or something like "i/someone/we no longer exist/have been erased". this could be referring to the way revival works. it could also mean that the protagonist was erased from the original timeline, or that the girl he couldn't save was erased from that same timeline.

edit: ah it actually translates to "the town where im the only one missing" or something. penis.

Edited by Gore

• Support Squad

I really liked Erased. It's been a while since a mystery show got that level of interest from me. I like the main character so far, the occasional mental narration from him just makes me feel like he's less of a character and more genuine. Also helps that his backstory isn't just dramatically centred around one event. He had the experiences with the girl, he drew manga, something happened to push him away, he hung around with the convict guy, there's probably more to it that we'll see as he gets all nostalgic in his little kid body. He has led an interesting life to me so far.

Not watched a single other thing yet because gogoanime was finally banned by my ISP during the day as an illegal site(It's a real weird system) and crunchyroll is terrible for finding new shows for me. I cannot stand the crunchyroll UI.

I really liked Erased. It's been a while since a mystery show got that level of interest from me. I like the main character so far, the occasional mental narration from him just makes me feel like he's less of a character and more genuine. Also helps that his backstory isn't just dramatically centred around one event. He had the experiences with the girl, he drew manga, something happened to push him away, he hung around with the convict guy, there's probably more to it that we'll see as he gets all nostalgic in his little kid body. He has led an interesting life to me so far.

Not watched a single other thing yet because gogoanime was finally banned by my ISP during the day as an illegal site(It's a real weird system) and crunchyroll is terrible for finding new shows for me. I cannot stand the crunchyroll UI.

https://kissanime.to/

• Administrators

don't watch this unless you've played the games it originates from, muv luv and muv luv alternative. the spin-offs are average, but alternative is a fucking masterpiece.

Is it a situation like the Dangan Ronpa anime vs the DR1 game, where the anime is spoilers and presents it with so little depth that it can barely be appreciated?

If it's -just- a matter of spoilers, I might not care. The reason I was going to at least try it is because Muv Luv is Sazane's favorite series, and she's basically already spoiled a lot of the plot for me in her fan-girling >>; On the other hand I'm not sure I want to commit to the VNs.

Or is it some other reason?

Is it a situation like the Dangan Ronpa anime vs the DR1 game, where the anime is spoilers and presents it with so little depth that it can barely be appreciated?

If it's -just- a matter of spoilers, I might not care. The reason I was going to at least try it is because Muv Luv is Sazane's favorite series, and she's basically already spoiled a lot of the plot for me in her fan-girling >>; On the other hand I'm not sure I want to commit to the VNs.

Or is it some other reason?

pretty sure it doesn't spoil anything, but it's a lot easier to understand if you've played the original series. it is a spin-off and, like most spin-offs, it has connections to the original series, which you will completely miss unless you've already played them.