List of Tags and what they mean

Nhadala

I thought id make a thread like this one, tell me what you think. :)

Action: Fast-paced action such as fighting or some other form of agressive activity. Example: Bleach

Adventure: Features characters going on a trip to find their luck or with a specific purpose. Example: FullMetal Alchemist

Drama: Meant to bring emotion out of the reader/viewer, such as sadness, tension, or otherwise. Example: Clannad

Romance: Love, Romantic feelings between characters or the development thereof. Example: Clannad

Ecchi: Sexy and Juicy, but not going overboard. Example: Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou Manga.

Mystery: Unresolved Case, or Mysterious Event, keeps you guessing until the end while catching all the clues and riddles along the way. Example: Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Psychological: Deals with the philosophy or state of mind, the crazy kind in most cases. Example: Suicide Island

Horror: Fear and Terror related, usually not for the faint of heart. Example: Tokyo Ghoul

Sci-fi: Space-related, futuristic, etc... Example: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

School Life: Set in campus or some sort of school. Ouran High School Host Club

Supernatural: Deals with unexplained things that do not happen in nature. Example: Fruits Basket

Historical: Usually set in a setting of the past thats part of history, or other settings. Example: Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Mecha: Involves walking vehicles controlled by a pilot, usually futuristic. Example: Eureka Seven

Tragedy: Prepare some tissues or a handy beforehand. Example: Suicide Island

Shounen: Usually aimed towards male teens. Example: Naruto

Seinen: Usually aimed towards male young adults. Example: Sekirei

Shoujo: Usually aimed towards teen girls. Example: Fruits Basket

Josei: Usually aimed towards female young adults. Example: Nodame Cantabile(Manga).

Gender Bender: Changing genders, whether it is by magic or physical means(make up, etc...). Example: Ranma 1/2

Harem: One character surrounded by many characters, usually of the opposite sex who are attracted towards the one character. Example: Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Martial Arts: Judo, Karate and other arts of combat. Example: Girls of the Wilds.

Sports: Centers around anything related to some sort of sport, like Basketball or Baseball. Example: Slam Dunk

Shoujo Ai: Girls Love. Example: Lily Love

Yuri: Usually features more intimate relationships than Shoujo Ai. Example: Gokujou Drops

Shounen Ai: Boys Love. Example: Himitsu no Akuma-Chan

Yaoi: Usually features more intimate relationships than Shounen Ai. Example: Junjou Romantica

Comedy: Generally intended to amuse, light, humorous, funny. Example: Nisekoi

Smut: Usually contains offensive content, especially sexually profane material. Example: Nozoki Ana (Manga).

Took me quite a while to get all of the examples and write good descriptions, i had to step outside my confort zone for some(like Yaoi) to find the examples, but i hope it was worth it.

If i missed any tags tell me. :)

Edited by Nhadala
  • Upvote 5

Pretty good list, only missed some more restricting ones, others not so much. In any case, here:

Game: Set in a game or games are what drive the plot. Examples: No Game No Life, Death Parade.

Demons: Pretty self-explanatory, the show involves characters whose origins are related to demons/non-human. Examples: Hataraku Maou-Sama.

Music: Centralizes around characters who have a distinctive trait of singing/playing some type of instrument. Examples: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Symphogear GX.

Space: Set in the space (note that not all sci-fi anime are necessarily space anime and vice-versa). Examples: Sidonia no Kishi.

Police: Anime in which police organizations take a major role in the story, usually associated with mystery. Examples: Psycho-Pass, Higurashi, Paranoia Agent.

Thriller: Characterized by scenes where you are constantly thinking "what's about to happen". Often associated with dark themes and even horror. Examples: Higurashi, Shinsekai yori, Monster.

Magic: Revolves around the use of magic, i.e. things that would normally be impossible happen. Examples: Madoka Magica, Fate Series.

Parody: Shows that are full of references to others, usually making fun of them and thus being associated with comedy. Examples: Gintama, Binbougami ga!

Kids: Anime with simplistic plots/often cliche characters that are mainly targeted at kids. Examples: Pokemon, Digimon.

Slice of Life: moeshit Anime in which characters are put together in a scenario (often school/or outside of the city) and live their everyday lives. Most of the scenes are funny or just relaxing to watch. Examples: Barakamon, Gakkougurashi!

Super Power: Characters possess powers that humans normally can't acquire by any means, such as becoming invisible or flying. Often associated with action. Examples: Toaru Series, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Charlotte.

Samurai: Involves characters that are samurais. Often associated with historical themes. Examples: Samurai Champloo.

Vampire: Involves characters that are vampires, in some way. Often associated with horror or excessive amounts of gore. Examples: Shiki, Owari no Seraph.

Fantasy: Anime that are set in places that are so out of this world that it almost seems like it's just a dream fabricated by the protagonist. Usually involves themes that are very common in anime, such as cat girls. Examples: No Game No Life.

Military: Series in which you're shown characters living a military life, which is often rough, not so in others. Examples: Grisaia no Meikyuu/Rakuen, Gate, Fullmetal alchemist.

Also, this one isn't normally seen as a genre, mainly due to how little anime have this type of setting, but here:

Prison: Anime in which the characters are somehow locked away from the outside world/other people. Examples: Deadman Wonderland, Prison School, Rainbow: Nisha.

And finally,

the best genre of all hentai

Dementia: Characterized by having mind-twisting plots and overall creepy atmospheres. Examples: Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain.

Edited by Gore
  • Upvote 1