Anime/Manga Recommendations

Joker

As per request and because I am bored. List recommendations of anime or manga that you enjoy or ask for recommendations of anime/manga to watch or read. I'll start with Zetman and Bakuman. Go crazy.

• Upvote 1

One thing: Do bear in mind this when asking for recommendations. Providing a list (via MAL or Hummingbird as the commonly used ones) of what you have watched will generally help your recommenders pick out series that you may like. As such, if you are asking for recommendations, please do provide a list of series that you have watched. If you have a MAL or Hummingbird list, do link to it. It will make the recommendation process go a lot more smoothly and enjoyably.

• Support Squad

As per request and because I am bored. List recommendations of anime or manga that you enjoy or ask for recommendations of anime/manga to watch or read. I'll start with Zetman and Bakuman. Go crazy.

Panty and stocking with garterbelt

Binbougami ga

Katanagatari

Barakamon

Rinse repeat

Manga Recommendations:

Girls of the Wilds (lots of strong girls in this if you are into that).

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou (a pretty good Ecchi Harem Comedy that also got an anime this season).

The Gamer (A manhwa that hits close to home, the main character gets an ability that allows him to get exp, grind, as well as learn unique skills with a touch of a button, a cool supernatural action manhwa thats definetaly worth checking out).

I only noticed this section was created now. Anyhow, I'll post my horror anime recommendations:

The only good horror anime that's currently airing is Gakkougurashi!, but it's mainly about the mystery, the horror is pretty weak so far. In any case, it's worth checking out. Just read Hiss13's reply.

As for some good horror shows that have already aired, here:

- Higurashi/Umineko no naku koro ni

- Psycho-pass (usually not tagged as horror but this is way more violent than most horror shows ive watched)

- Shinsekai yori (it is horror, but it's more about the mystery/mindfuck)

- Deadman wonderland

- Danganronpa (honestly, the horror is pretty weak. but the mystery/murder cases were still great so you should still try it out)

- Jigoku shoujo

- Sankarea

- Tasogare otome x amnesia

- Monoke

- Monster

- Ergo proxy

- Texhnolyze

- Paprika

- Perfect blue

The last two are movies rather than tv series, but they're still horror in case you want to watch them. The two just before them aren't all that much horror and are mainly about the mystery/sci-fi, just like Shinsekai yori and Psycho-pass, but you should still check them out by all means.

Didn't include some really common ones such as Tokyo Ghoul, Shiki, Another, Elfen lied, Hellsing, Corpse party, Blood-C, Blood+, Mirai nikki, Parasyte, etc. I just figured you had already seen these, but if you haven't, you can check those out as well.

Also, there are two more which are scheduled to air on the fall season. Don't know if they're going to be any good, but in case you want to give them a try, here:

- Sakurako-san no ashimoto ni wa shitai ga umatteiru (translates to "A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet")

- Kowabon

Might also do a mystery/psychological one, but that'll do for now.

Also, even if you're not into horror, one I absolutely recommend above all else is Shinsekai yori. This show is just too good, it's seriously hard to be able to come across something so well written. The only thing I could change about it is make it 50 episodes rather than 25, so that the time lapses weren't as rushed and some side characters had gotten a bit more time to develop. Regardless, you NEED to watch this, whether you're an anime fan or not.

As for manga/light novel recommendations, here are some of my favorites (note that I don't read manga much, so this might mean nothing to some hardcore manga fans):

- Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (SO damn good)

- Oyasumi Punpun

- Onanie Master Kurosawa

Edited by Gore

• Developers

That list needs Another, that was a great horror/mystery imo.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice it there already in the fine print.

General Anime to consider if you're not looking for a specific genre may be:

Oregairu

Gurren Lagann

Clannad (Unless everyone has already watched it)

No Game No Life

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/kai

Danganronpa (Jan?)

Baka to Test

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukinai

Kuroko no Basket

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

Steins;Gate

I just realized many of these are super well known as it is, but it's just what came to mind.

Edited by Chivalry

That list needs Another, that was a great horror/mystery imo.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice it there already in the fine print.

Eh, another was mainly about the horror imo. Specifically, the most enjoyable thing was seeing how each student died. Other than that, I found the mystery to be pretty poor and lackluster, they don't even give you clues or anything to get you interested. Instead, the show just tries to act "mysterious and sp00py", thinking that makes it a mystery anime.

HIGURASHI IS NOT JUST MY FAVORITE HORROR ANIME, BUT MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE AS WELL :]]]]]]]]]

I would also include Danganronpa in my previous list, but idk man, Danganronpa was mainly fun to watch because of the mystery and the murder cases. The horror was pretty weak comparing to some things I've seen. Nevertheless, I do recommend it a lot.

• Veterans

I myself enjoyed these a lot, but it's up to you if you want to watch them or not of course ;v;

• Kill la Kill [GETS SHOT]
  • Punch Line
  • Nichijou
  • Ore monogatari!!
  • God Eater (still airing)
  • Princess Tutu
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Amagi Brilliant Park
  • Kyoukai no Kanata
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica [GETS SHOT AGAIN]
  • Yumekui Merry
  • Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
  • Another

There's a whole bunch of genres in that list, but if any of them piques your interest you should give them a short :V

As for mangas, i'd say try reading tokyo ghoul if you haven't, i really like it tbh

kill la kill plot iS PLOT PURE PLOT AWESOMENESSSSSSSSS PLOOOOOOOOOT

might as well include some other things that aren't horror and I liked :]] (in no particular order):
- Gangsta
- Prison School
- ShimoSeka
- MonMusu
- Shokugeki no Souma (BEST SHOUNEN 2015)
- Grisaia Series
- Baccano!
- Madoka
- Btooom!
- Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
- Katanagatari
- Kill la Kill :]]]
- Hunter x Hunter (2011) (one of my personal favorites)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- No Game No Life
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Suzumiya Haruhi Series
- Toaru Series
- Steins;Gate
- Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
- Zankyou no Terror
Edited by Gore

My Top 5 Anime and Top 5 Manga:

Anime:
- Bakemonogatari (See this AMV It's 1:40 long . If you like what you see, give it a shot. This is the best Anime I ever seen in my life. There are monsters, gore, vampire, cat woman if you are into that, boobs....but this isn't why this show is so good.... There are many sequels, prequels and they are still coming out....

- Steins;Gate (Better than Death note IMO)

- Psycho-Pass (This one was explain above)

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Over 10 responses and this wasn't mention? Criminal! Most watch everyone... [Actually mention it])

- Shinsekai Yori (Explain above but to add to that. It's story is super strong. You are going to be in the edge of your seat on this one)

Avoid the following Animes:
- Btooom!
- Deadman Wonderland
- Tokyo Ghoul

These Animes bring nothing to the table. On the other hand, their Mangas are top tier.

Manga:
- The Breaker (This is the best Manhwa/Manga (It's a Korean cartoon) I ever read, ALMOST beat by Tokyo Ghoul. It uses the Manga form to tell the story, so it's especially a Manga. I bet no one here even heard of this. It have comedy and it's about "Martial Arts" but the author took it a bit further. The main character goes into "transformation" like Kaneki but this doesn't happen until the sequel [New Waves]. He get's introduce to the "underground" world of Martial Arts and he have to learn to defend himself.... The series "ended" but the author won't be releasing the final, 3rd sequel until MUCH later so catch up while you can....

- Tokyo Ghoul (This one ain't no mystery; I love this series. Although I feel like the author should had

killed Kaneki

Throughout the story, the author leave little notes referencing tarot cards. I already told @Etesian about this he didn't even notice it lol. Here's some examples: Devil, Death. If you match the meaning for each character, you may be able to predict what could happen to that character. It spoils the story a little bit tbh, but it fun looking for these every new chapter.

- Psyren (One of the best I read so far. Unfortunately many of you didn't heard about this because this manga wasn't so successful so it was axed. It was rush starting around 60+. It have that Gants horror feel that you don't know what could come next)

- Deadman Wonderland (Read the manga, avoid the anime at all cost. That's all I have to said about this one)

- D.Gray-Man (I started reading this one and it's actually pretty good. I'm on chapter 56 tho, but it have potential on being top tier)

*Autophagy Regulation is a brand new Manga that just came out with just 13 chapter. If you read all the above, give it a read

PS 200 post yay...

Edited by Smok3iT
  • Upvote 1

- Btooom!

- Deadman Wonderland

- Tokyo Ghoul

Err, the major problem with those three is that they're mostly incomplete, except for tokyo ghoul. Tokyo ghoul anime is a disgrace, imo, sorry to anyone who actually likes it.

In any case, i found Btooom! and DMW to be okay. Other than the fact that they're only 12 episodes long and thus incomplete, they're not too different from the manga. I'm following up with the Btooom manga, which is still airing, and I'm almost finishing DMW, which was almost as good as the first half that got adapted into anime, except for skipping a few important things. Furthermore, both of these adaptations have great animation/action scenes and even soundtracks, so I wouldn't necessarily skip them.

TL;DR: I recommend watching the Btooom! and Deadman Wonderland anime first, and then reading the respective mangas. Avoid the Tokyo Ghoul anime at all costs. Read the manga, go back to the anime and watch episode 12 of the first season, and then finish the manga.

Well, I like action, mystery, and horror anime. I don't really like hardcore drama (a la clannad) or pure comedy (lucky star?) so I wouldn't want similar reccommendations. That said, I'm no longer aware of many action/mystery/horror anime series I haven't seen yet. So, I'd hope that some of you know some really unknown gems.

Favorites are Baccano and Hunter X Hunter; they are probably tied at this point, for me.

Allow me to open up this forum moderation by saying, please apply the spirit of rule 5 here in regards to animes and mangas.

Rules

5. Respect others' gaming choices

I'll ask Amethyst if she agrees with my sentiments, but unless you hear otherwise, consider rule 5 to apply in these circumstances.

• Support Squad

- Btooom!

- Deadman Wonderland

- Tokyo Ghoul

These Animes bring nothing to the table. On the other hand, their Mangas are top tier.

I gotta disagree. These anime, as Gore mentioned, are incomplete but I'd say they still have something to offer. a primer for the manga if you will. Coming from the manga to these shows seems meh but going to the manga after watching the show makes the manga stand out all the more.

• Administrators

Allow me to open up this forum moderation by saying, please apply the spirit of rule 5 here in regards to animes and mangas.

I'll ask Amethyst if she agrees with my sentiments, but unless you hear otherwise, consider rule 5 to apply in these circumstances.

I'm going to second this, although we talked about it a bit more and honestly this could fall under rule 1 or maybe even just common sense tbh; nobody is here in a recommendations topic to read non-constructive negative opinions.

As for my own recommendations so that I'm not just the big bad auth guy, at the moment the three things I've been trying to make Ame watch enjoyed the most and come to mind first recently are-

• Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. or My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (and its sequel)
  • To Aru Majutsu(/Kagaku) no Index(/Railgun) or A Certain Magical(/Scientific) Index(/Railgun) (and the movie)
  • Aldnoah.Zero or Aldnoah.Zero

They're all pretty different genres and/or premises so I think there's probably something here someone would enjoy regardless.

I appreciate Oregairu in particular because romantic comedies are probably my favorite thing, and Yukino in particular is my favorite type of character (not necessarily tsundere but definitely an ice queen) so a lot of my investment in the series was paying way too much attention to her and Hachiman's interactions. I liked Hachiman a lot because yeah he's the anti-social main character wow so original but he's also not. Aside from the way he's introduced in the first two episodes (that is, incredibly pessimistic and whatnot) I always thought he was pretty real for the loner rom-com MC. He hates nice girls, but not because he thinks they're fake or because they won't date him as we might see in the real world, and instead because he finds himself thinking more into their niceness than he should. He's not getting special treatment. They're this nice to everyone. Idk about anyone else, but man, I've been there and reminded myself that so many times. He makes himself the target in most situations because he doesn't put any value on himself; things are resolved by him becoming the common enemy. He's actually a pretty cool guy. It's another anime about a group of friends in high school realising everything's not quite as easy as it once was and I like to think it has some pretty real themes.

It's got an endearing art style in the first season (imo) and then the second season really steps it up in terms of visual quality, and the two things I look for most in a series aside from the obvious stuff are the art style, and the soundtrack. I think it does pretty well in both of these. If anything bothers me about Oregairu as it is now, it's the "read the light novel" ending.

I realise I went into a lot of detail about Oregairu and probably won't do the same for the other two, but, if nothing else-

Raildex as a whole is a longer series (98 episodes + OVAs and a movie) that I kind of picked up on a whim, having known of its existence for a long time but never actually thought about watching it. I'm not an expert on the series by any means, but I did like the very fictional take on religion vs science along with all of the blurred lines in the form of the main character's friends. I'm a little upset, again, by the "read the light novel" ending here, but, at least in this case I waited long enough to watch the series that there ACTUALLY IS more of a LN to read for this one, if/when I get around to it. misaka is best girl how could you not love this face

As for soundtracks like I mentioned above, the movie in particular really stood out to me (probably because one of the introduced characters is a very good singer, surprise) to the point that I made a playlist of most of the vocal songs and throw it up in the background whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require sound or CPU power

For Aldnoah.Zero we're going to open up with the soundtrack this time because WHOO BOY it's my favorite part of the series. You know that guy, Sawano Hiroyuki? Like, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Guilty Crown? it him. he here. it good. very good. shut up, ame.

I'll be fair and say that the plot of the series really kind of bothers me, because it's all one major miscommunication after another. Later on this is shown to probably be intentional, but it still doesn't change the fact that if these people had talked rationally about everything, the series could have ended in two episodes. But it didn't, and you know what, that's good because the really cool insert songs start in the third episode. If you like robots and upset victories because the main character is really fuckin' smart, here's a series.

___

So that's those and now I'm obligated to mention that Kyoto Animation is my favorite studio so some of my "old" favorites that I really really like include (in very short description)

• Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! or Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! (and the sequel) - its SO GODDAMN CUTE AND SHICHIMIYA IS BEST GIRL AND EPISODE 10 OF THE SECOND SEASON WAS HEART WRENCHING BECAUSE I WAS IN HER EXACT POSITION AT THE TIME AND UNDERSTOOD

HOW MUCH IT SUCKS TO LOVE SOMEONE YOU CAN'T HAVE BECAUSE THEY'RE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH SOMEONE ELSE AND FIGHTING AN INTERNAL BATTLE KNOWING THE END RESULT AND ONLY CHOICE IS LETTING THEM GO EVEN THOUGH YOU CARE ABOUT THEM SO MUCH

• Kyoukai no Kanata or Beyond the Boundary - Incredibly well-animated and is an original (I think?) spin on a maybe-not-so-original concept. Complete with a movie following up on the series sometime this year, and KyoAni tends to not disappoint with their non-recap movies (read: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), so I have high expectations.
  • Hyouka - Super chill and little to no drama; I love it because I DON'T HAVE TO FEEL. no jk but really this is something really chill if you want to just hang out and watch a series that isn't going to hype you up or tear you apart. It's a mystery anime, but, as opposed to really big dramatic mysteries, it's more about (and I read this quote in a review that I really liked) "finding wonder amidst the everyday." It's another high school setting yeah sure, but, I found that the main characters all had something about them that made me appreciate them and they all had their moments and I liked watching the opposite personalities interact. It's also cute (but not, like, moe-moe-desu-kyaa so don't worry if you don't like that) so I really enjoyed it. It's probably my favorite of these three.

I realise I went into a lot of detail about Oregairu and probably won't do the same for the other two, but, if nothing else-

Raildex as a whole is a longer series (98 episodes + OVAs and a movie) that I kind of picked up on a whim, having known of its existence for a long time but never actually thought about watching it. I'm not an expert on the series by any means, but I did like the very fictional take on religion vs science along with all of the blurred lines in the form of the main character's friends. I'm a little upset, again, by the "read the light novel" ending here, but, at least in this case I waited long enough to watch the series that there ACTUALLY IS more of a LN to read for this one, if/when I get around to it. misaka is best girl

As for soundtracks like I mentioned above, the movie in particular really stood out to me (probably because one of the introduced characters is a very good singer, surprise) to the point that I made a playlist of most of the vocal songs and throw it up in the background whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require sound or CPU power

Ikaru may not be an expert on the series, but I am. :P

Let me just point to a few things. About the "read the LN" ending of the second season, there is a reason why it was done that way. If you look at the PVs for season 2, you'll notice something interesting…action scenes for two characters who never had any actions. The PVs gave a quick preview of Terra using Execution of Light in the Palace of the Popes and Acqua swinging his weapon of choice in District 22, implying that the second season was going to originally adapt volumes 7-16. That's right. NINE Volumes plus 1 SS volume all in the span of 24 episodes. You can imagine how rushed the season would have been if the staff had gone through with that. At some point, the staff decided to cut down the volumes adapted to 7-13+SS1 and SS1 is pretty much the kickoff point for the GRS Arc of Index.

Let me also point out that when Index's first season started, there were already 13 volumes written and double that amount by the time Index II started. Let's just say that the author is really good at putting out great content at a nice speed.

Needless to say, the Index anime, I think, is great on its own. Plus, it did a great job of making me actually want to read the Light Novels. However, I will say, as someone who has read each volume of the novels 2-3 times at least, that the anime is sorely lacking in something the novels had. Character development for certain characters--Touma, Index, and Aureolus, for example, feel quite underdeveloped in the anime. However, the novels really take these characters and develop them well. The way Touma's character develops in both Volumes 1 and 2 for example are really powerful and are compounded by the later arcs. But I digress. I could probably write a full essay about this but that would be a long and daunting task and would probably be beside the point.

That being said, it is a wonderful series with a wide world to explore and speculate about. So, if you have any questions about it, I'm your guy~

• Upvote 2

• Support Squad

Ikaru may not be an expert on the series, but I am. :P

Let me just point to a few things. About the "read the LN" ending of the second season, there is a reason why it was done that way. If you look at the PVs for season 2, you'll notice something interesting…action scenes for two characters who never had any actions. The PVs gave a quick preview of Terra using Execution of Light in the Palace of the Popes and Acqua swinging his weapon of choice in District 22, implying that the second season was going to originally adapt volumes 7-16. That's right. NINE Volumes plus 1 SS volume all in the span of 24 episodes. You can imagine how rushed the season would have been if the staff had gone through with that. At some point, the staff decided to cut down the volumes adapted to 7-13+SS1 and SS1 is pretty much the kickoff point for the GRS Arc of Index.

Let me also point out that when Index's first season started, there were already 13 volumes written and double that amount by the time Index II started. Let's just say that the author is really good at putting out great content at a nice speed.

Needless to say, the Index anime, I think, is great on its own. Plus, it did a great job of making me actually want to read the Light Novels. However, I will say, as someone who has read each volume of the novels 2-3 times at least, that the anime is sorely lacking in something the novels had. Character development for certain characters--Touma, Index, and Aureolus, for example, feel quite underdeveloped in the anime. However, the novels really take these characters and develop them well. The way Touma's character develops in both Volumes 1 and 2 for example are really powerful and are compounded by the later arcs. But I digress. I could probably write a full essay about this but that would be a long and daunting task and would probably be beside the point.

That being said, it is a wonderful series with a wide world to explore and speculate about. So, if you have any questions about it, I'm your guy~

Hiss also takes questions in regards to all kinds of Idol shows and whatnot

Hiss also takes questions in regards to all kinds of Idol shows and whatnot

Idol and Magical Girl shows, yes. Though, Acqui would be your best bet for those. :P

Though, it's not like I don't watch a breadth of series~

But, ToAru is pretty much a franchise I absolutely love. XD

One could call it an obsession. :P

But it's not. XD

Edited by Hiss13