[WIP] BIGJRA's Project: Reborn Elemental Masters

BIGJRA

Introducing Project: Reborn Elemental Masters

Because of my passion for the extremely replayable Pokemon Reborn, in a nutshell, my goal of this project is to complete a monotype run of the game with every single type. Given that we have roughly two years-ish to await the final product of Pokemon Reborn, I figure that with enough determination and like, 5 years, I can finish them all. I'll be updating this list as much as possible as I go along. Although I had the initial goal of let's playing the Steel run I did (gonna do a different type later when I have time and decent software), I decided to name every character since then, using all six sprites at some point for all of my eighteen characters. Their decisions in game, choices of pokemon, etc. will all be based on a single quote for each character. This is totally not just a retcon I'm using so I didn't have to beat the first five gyms with only Noibat.

Without further ado, here are the rules that apply to each Monotype run. Individual rules are decided by character personality, I guess.

1. I can only use Pokemon that evolve into, or are the type in question.

2. If, in the case of necessary HM's, I will keep in my party a non-type pokemon but only when its HM is necessary. A good example of this is that in Psychic run, the only Psychic types that can surf are legendaries, Starmie, and Slowpoke's line. Since none of those are obtainable (except by mystery egg), then I had to put a lv. 3 panpour in my party to surf and dive.

3. Catching Pokémon of other types is permissible as long as they are not used in battle intentionally. *** - Bidoof may be trained to level 17 in order to headbutt in runs that require it.

4. No cheating or save altering of any kind during the runs.

Oh, and if you were wondering, this is the main motivation behind my other team showcase guide.

Run #1: Steel

Progress: Done with Episode 15!

Character Name: BIGJRA

"Victory? Too easy."

The Team:

empoleon.gifsteelix.gifaggron.gifmetagross.gifbisharp.gifmagnezone.gif

Flood (l.70): Swords Dance, Drill Peck, Waterfall, Surf

Annihilation (l.70): Screech, Dig, Stone Edge, Iron Tail

Destruction (l.71): Sunny Day, Headbutt, Rock Slide, Heavy Slam

Corruption (l.72): Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Hammer Arm, Zen Headbutt

Gash (l.69): Swords Dance, Iron Head, Brick Break, Night Slash

Lightning (l.71): Charge Beam, Flash Cannon, Metal Sound, Discharge

Run #2: Psychic

Character Name: Lucius

"Life's too short to waste your time with stupidity."

The Team:

delphox.gifmeowstic.gifswoobat.gifgardevoir.gifalakazam.gifgallade.gif

Delphox (l. 75): Psychic, Flamethrower, Will-o-wisp, Shadow Ball

Meowstic (l. 73): Psychic, Misty Terrain, Reflect, Light Screen

Swoobat (l.74): Psychic, Calm Mind, Air Slash, Trick Room

Gardevoir (l.73): Psychic, Moonblast, Icy Wind, Calm Mind

Alakazam (l.74): Psychic, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, Recover

Gallade (l.75): Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Close Combat

Run #3: Ground

Character Name: Landon

"Get me out of this filthy region!"

The Team:

torterra.gifcamerupt.gifrhyperior.gifmamoswine.gifseismitoad.gifclaydol.gif

Torterra (l.75): Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Curse, Crunch

Camerupt (l.75): Eruption, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Rock Slide

Rhyperior (l.75): Rock Wrecker, Earthquake, Megahorn, Rock Smash

Mamoswine (l.75): Blizzard, Ice Shard, Thrash, Earthquake

Seismitoad (l.75): Sludge Wave, Hyper Voice, Surf, Drain Punch

Claydol (l.75): Sandstorm, Trick Room, Earth Power, Extrasensory

Run #4: Dragon

Progress: vs Blake

Character Name: Aurum

Restrictions: Sceptile, Ampharos, Charizard are fair game as long as each's Mega Stone is obtained at some point

"The innate gemstone power of dragons! That’s what I need to attain!"

The Team:

sceptile.gifampharos.gifdragalge.gifnoivern.gifkingdra.gifflygon.gif

Emerald(l.71): Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, X-Scissor, Dual Chop

Citrine (l.72): Discharge, Power Gem, Signal Beam, Dragon Pulse

Obsidian (l.70): Sludge Wave, Dive, Toxic, Dragon Pulse

Iolite (l.71): Hurricane, Tailwind, Flamethrower, Dark Pulse

Sapphire (l.70): Surf, Dragon Pulse, Focus Energy, Rain Dance

Tourmaline (l.70): Earthquake, Flamethrower, Dragon Rush, Crunch

Run #5: Bug

Progress: vs Julia

Character Name: Honey

Restriction: All bug types must be caught by the end of the game

"There’s more bugs in Reborn than anywhere else! I need to catch them all!"

pineco.gifbeautifly.gifbutterfree.gifspinarak.gifkricketune-f.gifdustox.gif

Bug #8 (l.12): Tackle, Protect, Bug Bite, Self Destruct

Bug #2 (l.14): Tackle, Absorb, Poison Sting, Gust

Bug #3 (l.14): Confusion, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Poison Powder

Bug #1 (l.15): Leech Life, Poison Sting, Night Shade, Constrict

Bug #4 (l.16): Fury Cutter, Leech Life, Struggle Bug, Bide

Bug #5 (l.16): Tackle, Confusion, Poison Powder, Gust

Edited by BIGJRA

But... fam... I can get chu a ghost type or an ice type or a rock type... Fam just trust me plz ;~;

Most likely if E19 comes out and I still can't get one then I'll hyu xD

Atm, I just don't want to use 'illegitimate' means to do the runs, because if there's a possibility of change I'll take it.

Oh, good luck~ Plus you can do even MORE analyses for the Monotype Viability thread as you go along! I did a couple, but sometimes I just got too bored to continue, like in my Flying Mono (I just couldn't beat Julia... T-T).

Anyways, "Darkness is love~"

Well it should be noted that the pachirisu event is randomized between it and another pokemon now so be careful. There is a chance you don't even get the thing :x

Since it's so early I'll just restart the game until I get the one on Opal Bridge, most likely.

Oh, good luck~ Plus you can do even MORE analyses for the Monotype Viability thread as you go along! I did a couple, but sometimes I just got too bored to continue, like in my Flying Mono (I just couldn't beat Julia... T-T).

Anyways, "Darkness is love~"

I'll certainly try my best to create more entries for that thread.

Awesome good luck man! I am doing the same thing so I'll consider you a rival I guess ;) I've completed bug, poison and fairy so far. Working on rock at the moment and I'm at Corey.

As long as we don't act like Fern, I'm fine with that xD

Just an update real quick, I finished Psychic, and the poll will officially close as soon as I finish Ground.

After an exciting battle with a Ghostly spirit (difficulty: 4/10), a battle with an extremely emotional teenager (difficulty 6/10), and a terrible battle on a reflecting field at least until I earthquaked it (difficulty: 9/10), Landon's advanced even farther on his journey! Joining the team, we have Nidoking, Mamoswine, and Seismitoad. Finally fully evolved we have Torterra, Camerupt, and Diggersby! What more could possibly befall Landon, and who could be harder than the Ice Queen of Hax???

On another note, it looks like Bug will be the next run that I'll do, most likely. Thanks for input and remember if you want to keep bug as the type, vote for it. If not, then vote for something else!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently considering doing a monotype run myself after recently finishing E15.

I love playing with staller/annoyer pokemon (not a fan of sweep), thus in main game my team was the likes of venusaur, cofagrigus, dusclops, wobbuffet, drifblim, lanturn, rotom, venomoth, amoonguss, jumpluff.

Since you're experienced with monotype run, can you suggest which type is most fun with a stall/annoy playstyle?

I'm thinking poison and ghost, but sadly ghost can't be obtained until 4th gym probably.

Grass seems fun, but my previous team already consists venusaur, jumpluff, amoonguss, so my next run will likely be lacking in novelty.

Any suggestion?

It's hard for me to speak about types I haven't yet attempted, but the best types to do a stall with are Grass, Normal, Poison (kinda), and Steel. As you could probably see from my first post, I used an ultra offensive team for my steel run but I'm sure you can find annoying strategies using the available steel Pokemon. That being said, stall is a lot harder at the moment considering we don't have the Toxic team but I'm sure you'll figure something out. Good luck to you.

A friend of mine did a Water mono run and he was saying that between Greninja, Azumarill and the amount of rain setters the type gets that it's waayy too easy since you can just spam Surf and Hurricane from Swanna. In comparison other types he's done like Normal are apparently a fair bit harder. Could be fun ofc but it'll be a cake walk after you beat Fern. Speaking from experience I had a ton of fun with Poison and Bug so you should defo consider those.

Edit: A friend of mine did a guide on how to inject starters into Reborn if that's the reason you're not considering types that don't have a Pokemon before the first Gym:

I just wanna say if your planning on doing a dragon mono either do a dual mono or pick a different starter because i promise you you wont get past first gym with just a noibat. If u ask ppl that had a noibat including me they will tell you to stick in a daycare till lvl 48. They say that cuz NOIBAT SUCKS AND NOIVERN IS AMAZING. It is a very weak pokemon. It does like no dmg and gets hit hard by pretty much anything.

I just wanna say if your planning on doing a dragon mono either do a dual mono or pick a different starter because i promise you you wont get past first gym with just a noibat. If u ask ppl that had a noibat including me they will tell you to stick in a daycare till lvl 48. They say that cuz NOIBAT SUCKS AND NOIVERN IS AMAZING. It is a very weak pokemon. It does like no dmg and gets hit hard by pretty much anything.

In regards to dragon, I'm glad you brought this up, foovy. Since everyone apparently wants to bring hell upon me, it seems that Dragon is winning the poll. At the moment (E15) I would be stuck battling Julia with 6 Noibats (which is obviously not gonna be the most fun time). Throughout the adventure, I'd be picking up Trapinch, Swablu, Horsea, Druddigon, Tyrunt, and Skrelp, meaning that I can only currently obtain 7 different dragon types not counting the Axew mystery egg. To solve this issue, theres a few things I am considering.

1. Ignore the poll, I'm the autocratic leader, and I want to do bug/fire/water next. This would mean pushing dragon out until a later time.

2. Hack in a starter (most likely Goomy, Bagon, or Dratini, or Deino)

3. Use Treecko as my starter since it mega evolves into a dragon, thus making the run exponentially easier (Mareep could therefore be used too)

4. Episode jump back to 14 where I can get a Trapinch early, since I doubt that I can beat Florinia by only using Noibats.

5. Hack (somehow) the mystery egg (or create a separate event) that guarantees me to get an Axew out of the drawing.

If anyone has any ideas about the following, feel free to discuss them. I might make a poll about that later.

Oh, and just for the record I'm on vacation at the moment so I'll continue doing Ground around the 22nd of July-ish. I haven't updated it in a while, I'm at Radomus's gym at the moment.

Hey guys, after mulling it over for two days I come with an update about the chances of doing Dragon.

I created a second poll on the first post, asking which difficulty solution I should opt for so that I don't have to die using six Noibats against Flobot's Cradily. I recommend that you vote on it or voice opinions here somehow. That being said, I'm really starting to like the prospect of using Treecko/Mareep in the run since they can mega-volve into Dragons, so if the poll votes for something I might decide to change it. This will all be finalized by the end of July so there's no rush at the moment.

Thanks!

EDIT: The only mono-runs that would be affected by the rule change would be Dragon (Charizard, Sceptile, Ampharos), Flying (Pinsir), Fairy (Audino and Altaria), and fighting (Lopunny). Gyarados and Mewtwo would affect Dark and Fighting, were they available.

Edited by BIGJRA

You know, if you win one of the monthly tourneys being held, you could get a Dragon starter (or a Larvitar in one tourney). Still, if ya don't, I chose to allow Mareep and Treeko and whatnot. I also would say that you could hack your Egg to get an Axew, which is what multiple people have done.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally home from Florida, and you know what that means! Being the tiebreaker vote myself, I decided to implement the mega rule for types of Pokemon, which will affect the following pokemon and type runs: Dragon (Charizard, Sceptile, Ampharos), Flying (Pinsir), Fairy (Audino and Altaria), and fighting (Lopunny). Gyarados and Mewtwo would affect Dark and Fighting, were they available.

Even though I keep saying this and haven't actually continued it yet, Ground will continue soon enough, it's just a really hard run compared to Steel and Psychic.

A sneak peek to anyone who wants to see a little bit of the planning phase I did for the runs and see the Dragon's that I'll be using:

wvhD1DQ.png

I'm doing an electric/poison dual run right now(or a Neon run as I call it) and poison definitely seems like a lot of fun to use this game since you get a good amount to choose from all throughout the game. Fari warning, Fern's 2nd grand hall battle is an absolute pain since Roserade is brutal that point in the game. It knows extrasensory so Stunky helps out a lot.

Also plusle is underrated early game(wish FTW). It's the only reason I beat Flobot, as she had to outstall Cradily. Must have been like 20 turns at least just between those two.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

• 2 weeks later...

The ground monotype has hit a bit of a "roadblock" aka Blake's Ice Team with boosted blizzards that can tear through me, and I have no alternatives...

So for now, while I figure that fiasco out, I began the new run. Introducing the character based on Ari's sprite, meet Aurum!

"I have no use for anything that's not valuable. Dragons are power, power is wealth, wealth is everlasting."

Here's a sneak preview of Aurum's theme and team coming out of Julia's gym...

6rExgre.png

Oh, Dragon types! I hope you take my suggestion and get Axew and Mareep in your save file and I guess also Charizard when its event comes out. There aren't too many Dragon types in-game, but at least you can also get Kingdra, Altaria, Dragalge, Flygon, and Tyrantrum. I guess Druddigon too, but whatever...

Oh, Dragon types! I hope you take my suggestion and get Axew and Mareep in your save file and I guess also Charizard when its event comes out. There aren't too many Dragon types in-game, but at least you can also get Kingdra, Altaria, Dragalge, Flygon, and Tyrantrum. I guess Druddigon too, but whatever

I'm gonna use all of them (except probably Axew, since that's 1/18, and I probably won't get Tyrantrum since that requires finding a Helix fossil. I haven't found a Helix Fossil yet across 4 save files.) Druddigon will be death fodder woohoo