What anime trend do you love and hate the most?

MotherGlitcher

Anime trends have have come and go over the years, some clinging on tightly while others died swiftly, some are enjoyable while others are a pure menace. The old and the new often have differing opinions due to these changing trends, some grew too much for their taste and the ones they value have seemingly died off. Though the improvement in technology, the change in societal values, and the change of focus in animation companies have certainly affected our passion, what I would like to know is not the quality of the animes produced, but the feelings behind the trends that are integrated into it in their production.

Since I haven't really watch much of the relatively new animes because of my taste in anime, I would like us to share what we do know, so before I go on, I need to clarify that by trend, I mean anything such as the type of music used in certain moments to the overall musical coloration of anime, the way animation is done in certain scenes or the overall anime, or certain focuses toward a societal trait or issue and more.

So for me, I like how scenes that are appropriately violent stayed as such and not under played or over exaggerated in anime terms. To pick what I hate is slightly difficult, but I have to say it would be the over objectification of females such as their clothing, overall design such as rosy cheeks, huge bug eyes, loli stature, as well as their attitude. I certainly wouldn't mind that if it's not a trend that I can seen in most animes but that's not the case. Hentai would be an appropriate avenue for such a thing and more, but now it have migrated to mainstream in its own genre and more. Mind, I'm not objected to naked women, rape and sex in anime as along as it adds to the focus of the scene such as GITS, NGE, and Berserk, while the ridiculous fan service in Fairy Tale seems like it's a considerable focus of the anime.

Some might say I'm just butthurt and can't enjoy new stuff, which is partially true because I cannot enjoy many of the new stuff not due to being butthurt, but rather disappointed at the change in direction, not that I don't somewhat understand the change, but disappointed none the less.

The floor is yours, so what's your love and hate?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fanservice. blegh. can ruin a scene. Then again, not all ecchi and harem shows are horrible.

Definitely. I don't mind fanservice, but too much of it kills the show for me personally.. well depending on the show of course.

I'm looking at you Space Dandy.

love shows where they make characters, who look cute/harmless at first, extremely deadly, psychopathic, crazy and obsessed with something or someone, so basically when they turn qtps into yanderes/yangires

examples: yuka from 11eyes, shion and rena from higurashi, minatsuki from dmw, kousuke from btooom, ...

really annoyed by shows with female characters that have to be saved and/or won over and/or act as an accessory to the male protagonist

so like every show ever

True, not many authors can write good female characters or at the very least at the same level as the male characters, that is unless the anime is somewhat female-centric, such as Claymore and GITS. If we are talking about the popular animes though, then very few come in mind, one such anime would be One Piece I think, story line wise, the integrity and intensity between the female and male characters are fairly close. With most animes being written by male, it's bound to lean toward a male characterized anime.

fanservice. blegh. can ruin a scene. Then again, not all ecchi and harem shows are horrible.

Ah fanservice, it's obvious the author cannot write a good story is it is being carries around by fanservice, usually the kind that caters to horny boys. I cannot being myself to watch ecchi and harem genre animes without a solid pitch, which usually ends up being none or inadequate.

love shows where they make characters, who look cute/harmless at first, extremely deadly, psychopathic, crazy and obsessed with something or someone, so basically when they turn qtps into yanderes/yangires

examples: yuka from 11eyes, shion and rena from higurashi, minatsuki from dmw, kousuke from btooom, ...

Gon from HXH fits into that role, at least for one arc lol. I can never bring myself to watch higurashi, it's like the anime to girlfriends show boyfriends how bat-shit crazy they can get...

• Developers

*cough*Harime Nui*cOUGH*

In regards to fanservice, I'm fine with it so long as it doesn't directly interfere with story or atmosphere. When it does, that's when it's crossed to the line and I can't be bothered, because it's really hard to take something seriously when you're shoving boobs in peoples faces (*cough* High School Of The Dead *cough*). Wake the fuck up, animators.

Hating the population of ecchi and romcoms in the current list aswell. Honestly happy when there's a awesome premise and dramatic turns for a story that wrench my heart more than a bunch of cogs. Shame that's kinda diminished nowadays.

In regards to fanservice, I'm fine with it so long as it doesn't directly interfere with story or atmosphere. When it does, that's when it's crossed to the line and I can't be bothered, because it's really hard to take something seriously when you're shoving boobs in peoples faces (*cough* High School Of The Dead *cough*). Wake the fuck up, animators.

Hating the population of ecchi and romcoms in the current list aswell. Honestly happy when there's a awesome premise and dramatic turns for a story that wrench my heart more than a bunch of cogs. Shame that's kinda diminished nowadays.

Apparently the authors and animators feels the need to provide more fap material for the raging hard public... pity how the resource is used.

It annoys me when a decent anime comes out And gains mass popularity and annoying fans.

The big ones right now are Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

The two aren't bad, average at most. It is just some of the fan reactions to it that but me.

HERMAIGERD BEST ANIMU EVAH I AM NOW OFFICIALLY AN OTAKU.

Chill out people :/ also, try looking into other stuff... Scrubs.

And one other thing that annoys me (that isn't just anime). Is when something tries way to hard to score some feelsy moments. But there are tons of movies, anime, ect that try way too hard to get some cheesy or sappy "feels"

SAO suffers from this hard. Everytime I see a "feels" moment I sigh and roll my eyes.

Maybe I am just a heartless bastard, but these are my opinions, and if SAO gives you the feels, that's cool. That is just a trend/trope that doesn't sit well with me. I can experience "feels". But it has to be well written and not forced.

Edit: oh YA, another unnecessary trope. RANDOM YELLING!!!!

AAAAH I AM STABBING YOU!!!

AAAAAH I AM BEING STABBED!!!

AAAAAAH!

AAAH!

AAAAA?

AAAAA!

And one other thing that annoys me (that isn't just anime). Is when something tries way to hard to score some feelsy moments. But there are tons of movies, anime, ect that try way too hard to get some cheesy or sappy "feels"

SAO suffers from this hard. Everytime I see a "feels" moment I sigh and roll my eyes.

Maybe I am just a heartless bastard, but these are my opinions, and if SAO gives you the feels, that's cool. That is just a trend/trope that doesn't sit well with me. I can experience "feels". But it has to be well written and not forced.

fucking finally someone

thank you for putting it into words

It annoys me when a decent anime comes out And gains mass popularity and annoying fans.

The big ones right now are Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

The two aren't bad, average at most. It is just some of the fan reactions to it that but me.

HERMAIGERD BEST ANIMU EVAH I AM NOW OFFICIALLY AN OTAKU.

Chill out people :/ also, try looking into other stuff... Scrubs.

I'm on the same page with you on this one. I don't hate the anime itself, but god damn do I hate the fan club, or at these the annoying ones who do the OMG I'm such an Otaku, AoT best anime eva and all others are inferior cause I say so.

Edited by Magus

I'm on the same page with you on this one. I don't hate the anime itself, but god damn do I hate the fan club, or at these the annoying ones who do the OMG I'm such an Otaku, AoT best anime eva and all others are inferior cause I say so.

It wouldn't be so bad if they only have legit reasons, some real world logic that the normal joe can comprehend, but then they would have an identity crisis.

Yay, I am loved. It is also weird when I bump into someone with a MLP or AoT accessory and I compliment them on it to be nice and they immidiately go into hyper fanboy/girl mode. This is why I am not nice to people.

Yay, I am loved. It is also weird when I bump into someone with a MLP or AoT accessory and I compliment them on it to be nice and they immidiately go into hyper fanboy/girl mode. This is why I am not nice to people.

To be fair, people like them may not get the chance to express their favorites often and might go overboard. Push them away lightly.

Freezing and Elfen Lied differ from that don't they?

Not exactly the biggest spectrum here; not to mention, Elfen Lied had an entire array of it's own problems.

Honestly I don't get why prejudice and stereotyping in real life has to be carried over to imagined, fictional realms.

Not exactly the biggest spectrum here; not to mention, Elfen Lied had an entire array of it's own problems.

Honestly I don't get why prejudice and stereotyping in real life has to be carried over to imagined, fictional realms.

It does make the fictional realm feel more relevant and that's how it usually goes. Similar issues, different systems(natural laws or w/e), now deal with the issue and let's compare, often the fictional take would be too ideological and childish, but that's only reflective of what we sometimes think. Not to broaden the scope of prejudice and stereotyping in real life, but many areas of our society have integrated them as a norm, more so in media. What most people can do is choose how they tackle it as an individual, as a group though, it becomes somewhat difficult as expected. It is also interesting to note that female characters often if not always resort to physical prowess to demonstrate their equivalence or dominance over the male group as if further emphasizing their lack of physical control in real life. Not to say females are incapable of overpowering males in real life, just that it doesn't normally happen due to our biological makeup. It would be nice, if authors tone down their female characters need to be physically alpha like (not necessarily full of muscle, but perhaps actions) and instead spread some of that intention toward their intellect or none heavily physically dependent skills such as archery or as such. Take in mind that I have been speaking with both fictional and none fictional instances in mind so perhaps I'm leaning toward a more connected system instead of an anime such as FLCL (wtf is hapbendisng in tehre?). Ok, I'll take myself out now :D

really annoyed by shows with female characters that have to be saved and/or won over and/or act as an accessory to the male protagonist

so like every show ever

*tries to think of an anime series that never does this at all*

...Not even a nibble

*tries to think of an anime series that never does this at all*

...Not even a nibble

I'd argue a case for Fate/Zero. I don't think there are any characters male or female that are helpless there. Everyone has their own agenda, and everyone's out to win.

.......Right, not even close to an anime aficionado, but I'll take a swing at this one.

With regards to Anime, my biggest pet peeve is when in the middle of a series, there is a rather pointless change in title sequence/end credits themes. (Yeah, Hilda had no business posting in this thread, Sorry guys...D: )

The most recently viewed anime series for me (Future Diary) falls victim to this. Faylan's 'Blood Teller', Future Diary's original ending credit theme, was so good in my opinion that I would sit through the entire credit reel, and pull out the air guitar. As for the opening. It's not Future Diary if I'm not naming off every Roman deity ever, as well as counting to three in German.

.......Right, not even close to an anime aficionado, but I'll take a swing at this one.

With regards to Anime, my biggest pet peeve is when in the middle of a series, there is a rather pointless change in title sequence/end credits themes. (Yeah, Hilda had no business posting in this thread, Sorry guys...D: )

The most recently viewed anime series for me (Future Diary) falls victim to this. Faylan's 'Blood Teller', Future Diary's original ending credit theme, was so good in my opinion that I would sit through the entire credit reel, and pull out the air guitar. As for the opening. It's not Future Diary if I'm not naming off every Roman deity ever, as well as counting to three in German.

For the record, it's generally every 10-15 episodes...the long ones like Naruto and Detective Conan have at least 40 by now I think. It's something to get used to, and sometimes I like the theme and sometimes I don't.

Admttedly, when there's one I really like and then it changes to one I don't, I agree, it's annoying.

Props for watching Mirai Nikki though, definitely one of my favorites.

Also, I am pretty irritated by the fanservice, especially in shows where it seems way out of place, like Fairy Tail. (Something to note here: Detective Conan has virtually no fanservice. It's glorious.)